Did fast food people strike in your town today?

Randomguy

I haven't left the apartment so I don't know if they did here or not.  Apparently, they were striking to get their pitiful wages up to a less pitiful $15/hour.

--------------------------------

Fast-food workers at McDonald's, Wendy's and other chains will strike Friday to demand boosting the minimum wage to $15 an hour

Fatma Khaled
Wed, January 13, 2021, 4:49 PM

Fastfood workers
Hinterhaus Productions/ Getty Images
  • Fast-food employees will strike Friday to demand a national minimum wage of at least $15 an hour.

• The strike will take place on what would be Martin Luther King Jr's 92nd birthday.

• Strike organizer Fight for 15 is aiming to pressure the Biden-Harris administration to prioritize the wage increase to help close the wage gap among workers of color.

• Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Fast-food workers in at least 15 US cities are planning to strike on Friday to demand an increase in the federal minimum to $15 an hour and for the right to unionize, according to a press release by Fight for 15 and Union, an international movement of workers advocating for better wages.

The organization has been staging walkouts since 2012 to advocate for an increase in the minimum wage and is supported by the Service Employees International Union.

—Fight For 15 (@fightfor15) January 13, 2021

Workers at big corporations such as McDonald's and Wendy's will participate by either staying or walking off the job on what would have been Martin Luther King Jr's 92 nd birthday on January 15, the group said.

The striking workers, from cities including Detroit, Durham, and Kansas City, will call on big corporations like McDonald's to raise pay to $15 per hour. Workers in cities like Chicago and Los Angeles where the minimum wage has been boosted to $15 per hour will strike to demand all workers be paid that wage. They'll also challenge the incoming Biden-Harris administration to raise the federal minimum wage - stuck at $7.25 for more than 10 years - to $15 in its first 100 days.

The strike will include car caravans and strike lines staged on Zoom across Chicago, Charleston, Detroit, Durham, Flint, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Milwaukee, Memphis, Oakland, Orlando, Sacramento, St. Louis, Fort Lauderdale, Tampa.

Read More: Wayfair boosted its minimum wage to $15 an hour for all employees

The group said that since 2012 the movement has won $70 billion in raises for over 27 million workers and successfully helped pass $15 per hour minimum wage laws in eight states.

I wasn't out and about today except for an 8 am blood test.  I used to stop and get fast food to celebrate ending the fast required for the every-3-months test but have been eating more healthy lately.

Maryland is on track to slowly raise the min. wage to $15 and many localities have done it a while back.  Note that naysayers said the businesses in those localities would go out of business because of lower wages in neighboring localities, but that never happened.

What I like about $15/hr is that I don't have to support franchise owners making half a million dollars per year by my taxes paying for welfare assistance for their full-time workers: food stamps, free school lunches for their kids, health insurance, low cost housing, etc. so that their workers can survive and show up to work each day.

But there should be a set of categories, like in France where, for example, high school kids can be paid a little less and struggling ma-pa businesses can pay less.  Of course, in virtually every other high income nation basic health insurance for all exists all the time.

51 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Not sure. Our state is 11 dollars minimum wage.

I didn’t see signs when I went out at lunch, but I was not looking either. 

Oregon has a different min wage for urban, "standard" & rural areas. From $11.50 to $13.25. Going up every July 01 to $14.75/hr in 2022 & CPI adjusted. I did not go to any fast food today. I'm down to once every week or 2. McChiken & Large coffee black...aka a Leo special. Leo was my FIL & we would go out together looking at job sites. And stop for a bite now & then

Thank you for clarifying.  I just did a google search. I thought the last time it was on the ballot that it got enough votes.

In the past I have always voted to raise that wage.  It is my belief that the people making my pizza deserve a living wage.  

Minimum wage is really catching up to what I make.  I am a low paid worker.  Thankfully, I get good medical and beenfit package.  The pay is not good at all.

I doubt the strike is reaching Canada since we're a foreign country. It is important to understand that Nunavut's cost of living is very high...food is very expensive because most of it has to come by ship...when it can get through the ice. Not often it's flown.

Our minim. wage rates:

Current minimum wage across Canada

Province

Minimum Hourly Wage

Notes

Alberta

$15.00

Effective as of October 1, 2018. View more information.
British Columbia

$14.60

Effective as of June 1, 2020. The minimum wage in B.C. will rise to at least $15.20 on June 1, 2021. View more information.

Manitoba

$11.90

Effective as of October 1, 2020. The minimum wage in MB is adjusted annually on October 1 based on the inflation rate. View more information.
New Brunswick

$11.70

Effective as of April 1, 2020. The minimum wage in NB is adjusted annually on April 1 relative to the Consumer Price Index. View more information.
Newfoundland & Labrador

$12.15

Effective as of October 1, 2020. The minimum wage in Nfld will be adjusted on April 1, 2021 relative to the Consumer Price Index plus an additional $0.25. The minimum wage will increase an additional $0.25 on October 1, 2021. The minimum wage in Nfld will return to being adjusted relative to the Consumer Price Index for the previous year on April 1, 2022.
Northwest Territories

$13.46

Effective as of April 1, 2018. The regulation in N.W.T. does not specify that there must be an annual increase. View more information.
Nova Scotia

$12.55

Effective as of April 1, 2020. The NS minimum wage will move to $13.10 on April 1, 2021. The calculation for the base wage will return to the CPI formula on April 1, 2022. View more information.
Nunavut

$16.00

Effective as of April 1, 2020. The minimum wage in NU is reviewed annually on April 1. View more information.
Ontario

$14.25

Effective as of October 1, 2020. View more information.
Prince Edward Island

$12.85

Effective as of April 1, 2020. The PEI minimum wage will increase to $13.00 on April 1, 2021. View more information.
Quebec

$13.10

Effective as of May 1, 2020. The Quebec minimum wage will increase to $13.50 on May 1, 2021. View more information.
Saskatchewan

$11.45

Effective as of October 1, 2020. The minimum wage is adjusted annually on October 1 each year relative to the Consumer Price Index. View more information.
Yukon

$13.71

Effective as of April 1, 2020. The minimum wage is adjusted on April 1 of each year relative to the Consumer Price Index. View more information.

Learn about retail news, events and resources.