Non-covid times, want/went to tropical warm away from snow?

shootingstar

1,500 flights and rising as Canadians seek sunny escapes despite surging COVID-19 crisis | CBC News

Ok. I get it for the Canadians who have time share/own a place in tropics. They would flout/sneak around any travel bans/restrictions.  No matter what.

And I know alot of people personally who do take a trip to Mexico, etc. for wk. or so away from snow/ice/frigid cold.  I've done it once for short trip to Hawaii.  Didn't enjoy the trip much at the time compared to lst time to other Hawai'ian islands. Long story.

Otherwise, neither he nor I have this perpetual hankering every winter that we MUST / have profound need, to go to tropical warmth and sun.  Sure, Vancouver has been fine..even if rainy at times during winter. Every climate zone has its big pros and cons.  As a cyclist, during cycling season, I get more than enough sunshine often.

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Time shares always seem stupid to me.  How the hell do I know where I want to go on vacation before that year?  I  don't.   Do I want to go to the same damn place every year?  Hell no!  Do I want to jump through a ton of hoops to go on vacation?  No way.

One of the worst ever investments devised. 

11 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Parts of New Mexico can be pretty wintry. 

I agree. We visited NM in Nov. but at the time, it was bright sun and just near freezing temp. Just fine for us.

The first time we went to Hawaii.. was in late May onward.  I've never been to Caribbean, Mexico.. honest we aren't true lying-around -in-sun beach folks.  It was a joke in Hawai'i for 4 wks. to see me, whenever we were by a sunny beach, I would want to find some shade. It shouldn't be surprising after a loaded weight bike ride to next town, wanting shade relief. 

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Time shares always seem stupid to me.  How the hell do I know where I want to go on vacation before that year?  I  don't.   Do I want to go to the same damn place every year?  Hell no!  Do I want to jump through a ton of hoops to go on vacation?  No way.

A work colleague was the executor for her mother's property when she died.  She had to spend time and money with lawyer, to unravel mother's timeshare conditions in Florida.  :huh:

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

A "better" situation might be a few siblings buying and sharing a vacation place...if they get along. One of my friends has such a place....only 150 km. east of Toronto. Yes, the sibling relationships are pretty good. But who knows when 1 dies..

I like to get away during the winter for a mental break from the gray that can be winter here. I would like to visit my friend in the Caymans once more before they move. But that or visiting our girls in Arizona are pushed back until things are under control. The nice thing about the tropics is you can enjoy the beach in the morning and evening and sit in the shade when the sun is high. 
My parents had a time share for several years. It was actually a good deal for them and us for quite a while. We used their association with sister resorts when we went to Montreal and Boston for example. A different organization bought theirs and the fees skyrocketed. It took a lawyer to get them out. Unfortunately that all played out about the time we would have taken even more advantage of it. 

15 hours ago, shootingstar said:

1,500 flights and rising as Canadians seek sunny escapes despite surging COVID-19 crisis | CBC News

Ok. I get it for the Canadians who have time share/own a place in tropics. They would flout/sneak around any travel bans/restrictions.  No matter what.

And I know alot of people personally who do take a trip to Mexico, etc. for wk. or so away from snow/ice/frigid cold.  I've done it once for short trip to Hawaii.  Didn't enjoy the trip much at the time compared to lst time to other Hawai'ian islands. Long story.

Otherwise, neither he nor I have this perpetual hankering every winter that we MUST / have profound need, to go to tropical warmth and sun.  Sure, Vancouver has been fine..even if rainy at times during winter. Every climate zone has its big pros and cons.  As a cyclist, during cycling season, I get more than enough sunshine often.

Vancouver has semi-tropical trees.  I've only been there in July (to spend a whole day there then go on an Alaska Cruise the next day) but I bet the weather's a lot kinder (except maybe for rain) than the Mid-Atlantic states in winter!

Notice how the West Coasts of continents have much better weather than the East Coasts at the same latitudes.  Maryland is straight across the Atlantic from Portugal and Mediterranean Sea entrance and Newfoundland is straight across from the British Isles - where palm trees grow on the SW coast of Ireland.

During normal times, they have cruises to Bermuda/Florida Keys from Baltimore in the Winter for cheap and I may take one even though only a couple days in a week are shore stops.

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Vancouver has semi-tropical trees.  I've only been there in July (to spend a whole day there then go on an Alaska Cruise the next day) but I bet the weather's a lot kinder (except maybe for rain) than the Mid-Atlantic states in winter!

Notice how the West Coasts of continents have much better weather than the East Coasts at the same latitudes.  Maryland is straight across the Atlantic from Portugal and Mediterranean Sea entrance and Newfoundland is straight across from the British Isles - where palm trees grow on the SW coast of Ireland.

During normal times, they have cruises to Bermuda/Florida Keys from Baltimore in the Winter for cheap and I may take one even though only a couple days in a week are shore stops.

I believe it about the palm trees on coast of Ireland.

There are 2 now tall palm trees in front our bldg. in vancouver.  I was abit shocked when suddenly noticing this.  When we first moved there, they were baby stumps. Vancouver does get a lot of rain. So yea, year round outdoor palm trees in Vancouver, CAnada.

Not that many palm trees in city...you see one here and there. Different parts of metro Vancouver have micro climates and couldn't baby a palm tree. I am aware that figs and kiwi fruit do grow under the care of diligent gardeners in Vancouver.