Chris Horner

Scrapr

And can talk not too bad still. Hope he remains fit for a long time.

Dearie has never climbed hills rising up from his saddle.  He just sits and grinds upward hills and mountain ascents. I have been behind (far away) and seen guys all kitted up on their carbon bikes go past him.  The guys think they've conquered slower dearie.....not knowing what dearie has accomplished in transcontinental touring.

However, is that he isn't bothered by them...for a guy who has cycled solo with his panniers....across Canada twice, and a large chunk across the U.S. His bike and all his gear, cycling for 6 months and camping in New Zealand.  

My only message: never judge a cyclist on bike too quickly at any time.  One doesn't know the full story of a cyclist's cycling history and competence.

spacer.png

• Heart 3

15 hours ago, Scrapr said:

He has a you tube channel & filmed going up a climb by my old house.

I like the video - in general - but he could really benefit from spending some time on post-production for sure.  That video would be way more instructive if he added some overlays to it.  Definitely the elevation chart, current grade, and some indication of relative effort - HR or power relative to his "max".  It is really hard to read the lay of the land from the chestie gopro, and he throws out some wattage values that are useless to anyone but him, so if I could see the actual layout of the section he was on and see how hard (or easy) he was hitting in, that would likely help me get my head wrapped around his comments on the climb.

Still, I added him to my subscribed list and will check out some of his other stuff to see what sort of advice he can offer.  I definitely think I'm probably more like his style of riding - since I love climbing out of the saddle - and often don't see that as much as seated (like Gaimon's videos).  With our shorter climbs near me - few one mile sustained climbs - it is nice to see this video address those.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I like the video - in general - but he could really benefit from spending some time on post-production for sure.  That video would be way more instructive if he added some overlays to it.  Definitely the elevation chart, current grade, and some indication of relative effort - HR or power relative to his "max".  It is really hard to read the lay of the land from the chestie gopro, and he throws out some wattage values that are useless to anyone but him, so if I could see the actual layout of the section he was on and see how hard (or easy) he was hitting in, that would likely help me get my head wrapped around his comments on the climb.

Still, I added him to my subscribed list and will check out some of his other stuff to see what sort of advice he can offer.  I definitely think I'm probably more like his style of riding - since I love climbing out of the saddle - and often don't see that as much as seated (like Gaimon's videos).  With our shorter climbs near me - few one mile sustained climbs - it is nice to see this video address those.

I mentioned this video to dearie. Dearie wondered if he explained about proper gearing also.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think Chris is newish to you tube. One of his first videos is how to wash your bike. Which I found helpful. So I think he is aiming at the rec crowd. Another video is how to dress for cold weather riding. He mentioned a local bike shop in one video so they may be helping a little.

When he crosses the river @ 2:47 a little dip then the climb hits you in the face. 2:58 I was shifting fast & dropped my chain. 3:10 crosses the MUP. That corner is a MF. 3:49 the grade gets a bit easier by the mailboxes  4:08 he going big ring...LOL Nope not gonna do it...wouldn't be prudent. That section is a chance to catch your breath. 4:44 gets a bit steeper  but not as bad as down below. Just sit and grind. 5:43 getting steeper. 5:58 gets about as steep as down below but a relatively short section   6:21 look off to your right to see the mountains  7:21 better look at Mt Jefferson. That is the farthest north Mt of the 7 peaks. The other 6 really "pop" on a clear day

• Awesome 1

On 1/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, shootingstar said:

And can talk not too bad still. Hope he remains fit for a long time.

Dearie has never climbed hills rising up from his saddle.  He just sits and grinds upward hills and mountain ascents. I have been behind (far away) and seen guys all kitted up on their carbon bikes go past him.  The guys think they've conquered slower dearie.....not knowing what dearie has accomplished in transcontinental touring.

However, is that he isn't bothered by them...for a guy who has cycled solo with his panniers....across Canada twice, and a large chunk across the U.S. His bike and all his gear, cycling for 6 months and camping in New Zealand.  

My only message: never judge a cyclist on bike too quickly at any time.  One doesn't know the full story of a cyclist's cycling history and competence.

spacer.png

What type of kitchen sink does dearie take on his cross country tours? I always take cast iron but I’m only going a week at at time. For going across the country I would think stainless steel would be better, maybe even a single bowl sink.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

What type of kitchen sink does dearie take on his cross country tours? I always take cast iron but I’m only going a week at at time. For going across the country I would think stainless steel would be better, maybe even a single bowl sink.

I wonder if he takes cases of beer?  :D

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 11:50 AM, Scrapr said:

I think Chris is newish to you tube. One of his first videos is how to wash your bike. Which I found helpful. So I think he is aiming at the rec crowd. Another video is how to dress for cold weather riding. He mentioned a local bike shop in one video so they may be helping a little.

When he crosses the river @ 2:47 a little dip then the climb hits you in the face. 2:58 I was shifting fast & dropped my chain. 3:10 crosses the MUP. That corner is a MF. 3:49 the grade gets a bit easier by the mailboxes  4:08 he going big ring...LOL Nope not gonna do it...wouldn't be prudent. That section is a chance to catch your breath. 4:44 gets a bit steeper  but not as bad as down below. Just sit and grind. 5:43 getting steeper. 5:58 gets about as steep as down below but a relatively short section   6:21 look off to your right to see the mountains  7:21 better look at Mt Jefferson. That is the farthest north Mt of the 7 peaks. The other 6 really "pop" on a clear day

More power to him in any case.  Hope he builds an audience and gets better at his video production.  He definitely has a wealth of racing and training knowledge that would be nice to pass on to the rest of us.  Definitely needs to can the wattage numbers though as those remain useless to the rest of us :(  And, like Phil G, he might onsider sharing his Strava ride of that video to give the full story.

He has notes, just not the segment and ride info:

image.png.09571a4a6bda4fac713cd3be4ba78cf7.png