My favorite cup started leaking

Some Old Guy

I bought a ceramic cup customized with my name on it about 40 years ago.  It has been my go-to cup for all hot beverages.  I have even washed it a few times.  Lately, I noticed that whenever I sat it down (with coffee in it), a small indication of moisture would appear on the surface holding it.  After rigorous testing, I found that tiny droplets were forming on the outside of the cup near the bottom. 

I never knew a ceramic (or whatever they are) cup could leak.  I am dumbfounded and depressed.  Now I have to part with my cup that has been with me through thick and thin.  Coffee and tea will never be the same again.  Crap!   :angry: :huh: :(

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Further said:

If liquid is leaking out I wonder if anything is leaching into the coffee from the clay the cup was made from ?

I imagine so, but probably only a few molecules.  I would have thought that all those dark brown stains on the interior of the cup would have acted as a sealant.  :( 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

the next day I found my tool box welded shut.

When I was young and stupid, I took a large soldering iron and melted a bunch of solder into the keyhole of a co-worker's tool box lock.  Then I filed it down smooth.  The lock looked perfect, except it had no place for a key.  :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

When I was young and stupid, I took a large soldering iron and melted a bunch of solder into the keyhole of a co-worker's tool box lock.  Then I file it down smooth.  The lock looked perfect, except it had no place for a key.  :D

The guys I worked with were to lazy to do that. They would steal surgical glue out of the first aid kit and squirt it in the keyhole.

I have a rotation of aboot 5 or so mugs.  We have a huge excess of them so a leak in one might almost be welcome to clear the cupboard a tad. :D

My mother likes to give me engineer ones.  I also like to use the old Boynton ones my wife had when we got married.  Right now I am using one from my home town's Applefest :)

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I have a rotation of aboot 5 or so mugs.  We have a huge excess of them so a leak in one might almost be welcome to clear the cupboard a tad. :D

My mother likes to give me engineer ones.  I also like to use the old Boynton ones my wife had when we got married.  Right now I am using one from my home town's Applefest :)

Strange.  We are in the process of a mug clearing at this moment.  Everyone gets to take their 3 favorite mugs out of the cupboard.  The rest are history.  I had more favorites than that but I played by the rules.  sniff sniff

I gave up all of the companies I worked for and kept my John Deere mug (a really great restaurant quality heavy duty mug) the made in 46 all original part mug and the retiree game mug.

• Heart 2

If you take a picture of your favorite mug and measure the dimensions, I bet you could get a similar one made on etsy.  I've purchases a number of customized ceramic items from etsy.  But it's still not the same as your favorite mug that has seen  you through a number of tough mornings.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Kirby said:

If you take a picture of your favorite mug and measure the dimensions, I bet you could get a similar one made on etsy.  I've purchases a number of customized ceramic items from etsy.  But it's still not the same as your favorite mug that has seen  you through a number of tough mornings.

Mark as solution. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Strange.  We are in the process of a mug clearing at this moment.  Everyone gets to take their 3 favorite mugs out of the cupboard.  The rest are history.  I had more favorites than that but I played by the rules.  sniff sniff

I gave up all of the companies I worked for and kept my John Deere mug (a really great restaurant quality heavy duty mug) the made in 46 all original part mug and the retiree game mug.

When my wife was down and not going to be in the kitchen I went through the cupboards and took out all the mugs. We also had a mug tree on the counter top. I picked a few that I wasn’t ready to part with and packed up all the rest and took them to the twice blessed store. I found two more that I used to like hiding in the cupboard this week. I put them in the trash.

• Sad 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, Taylor said:

I bought a ceramic cup customized with my name on it about 40 years ago.  It has been my go-to cup for all hot beverages.  I have even washed it a few times.  Lately, I noticed that whenever I sat it down (with coffee in it), a small indication of moisture would appear on the surface holding it.  After rigorous testing, I found that tiny droplets were forming on the outside of the cup near the bottom. 

I never knew a ceramic (or whatever they are) cup could leak.  I am dumbfounded and depressed.  Now I have to part with my cup that has been with me through thick and thin.  Coffee and tea will never be the same again.  Crap!   :angry: :huh: :(

I thought the same after my house fire, though I've never had a great mug.

I found this "Better Homes and Gardens Farmhouse Collection" 16 oz. microwavable ceramic mug at Walmart along with the same collection's 32 oz. microwavable soup bowls.  I love them both, they're $4-$5 each and it took me several months before I could find enough of them at Walmart - there were only 0-2 there occasionally at any time - to complete sets of 6 - can't find them for cheap anywhere else:

540276742_Mug16ozBetterHomesGardensFarmhouseWalmart.jpg.53be42ad07e1da5f078ca50806ad800e.jpg 1649568893_SoupBowl32ozBetterHomesGardensFarmhouseWalmart.jpg.7e490a962b1a5bb854f1342e19996765.jpg

• Heart 1

I found an alternate use for my old leaking cup of fame.  I have been keeping my pens and pencils and other crap in an otherwise unused cup on my desk in my den.  So I swapped out my leaky cup with the pens and pencils cup. 

Voila!  I now have another coffee cup without having to buy a replacement, while my old and loyal friend has found a new role and purpose in life.     tee.gif.125c1aa430db94ddd97f6b93ac2f9eb8.gif

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

On 1/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Further said:

One of my past jobs, we had rolling steel work tables that we rolled from job to job, a favorite prank was to weld your hammer to the top.

I was walking through the maintenance shop when I noticed one of the maintenance guys using a grinder cutting his stainless steel coffee cup off the welding table. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/16/2021 at 12:42 PM, Taylor said:

Can a ceramic cup be sealed/re-sealed?

Personally, if it isn't leaking fast, an absorbent coaster might be all you need.  I drink my coffee relatively fast, so it might not be catastrophic to have tiny leaks.