You guys ever see one of these?

ChrisL

We took Smokey on a adventure walk near a popular MTB trail system I often ride.  The trail system starts in a county park.

As we were walking back to the car I saw this thing.  It has several common tools tethered to the post, a pump and a rack to support your bike during repairs.

I have never seen such a thing.

A985C5F3-DDC3-41A5-BE38-E376C8B26239.jpeg

13 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Have seen a fixed bike pump in a park of 2. Wonder how long those tools will remain without being cut off from their tether.  That's great the pump is provided ...for newbies who forgot to pump up their tires. 

The cable is pretty thick, it would take some effort to steal the tools but yeah with some bolt cutters it could be done.

The park closes at dark and isn’t really that close to houses as it’s in the local foothills. I’d think they wouldn’t get stolen. 

Pump and tools are provided inside our collective employee bike cage.  And yes, I've seen occasional employee pump up their bike tire before jumping on bike homeward.

I know the person who manages the bike cage equipment..and its expansion of the steel rod fencing...she is a close friend of mine. Cage holds up to 135 personal bikes for employees.

Not that means much right now while we work from home.  Bike cage has been around for us at least last 12 years and past 5 yrs., it's slowly gotten jammed with bike commuting bikes.

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You’re right, I’m an idiot....

You're not, not at all.  I was goofing around, talking about taking the concrete pad and all.  I'm sure those stations are installed with tamper resistant bolts and or nuts requiring special tools to remove.  Any manufacturer that gives a year's warranty against theft that didn't provide that would soon learn some expensive lessons.  I suppose a person could cut the bolts off with a torch, but I think that might attract too much attention.

• Hugs 1

That's a nice thing for those park people to have done!

Of course, if your bike breaks down 5 miles into the woods it's a long walk back!

I always carry a multitool, spare inner tube, duct tape, and some other stuff in a small bag on the back of a small bike rack.

Once, a woman in the main parking lot of the BWI Airport Trail had a problem with a disc brake that was constantly rubbing one of the calipers. Fixing that was one of the few tricks inexperienced-me had learned.

I loosened the caliper mounting bolt, put a thin piece of cardboard I carry in my tool bag between the moving caliper and the disc, told her to squeeze the brake level and hold it, and I re-tightened the bolt while she did.  After the let go of the lever and I removed the cardboard, it worked fine!  She thought I was a bike expert and gave me a kiss!

• Awesome 1