I learned to drive my tractor

Dirtyhip

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are so fun. I always love your posts.

I was a little spooked at first. I thought the thing could tip if I did something wrong. Hubby laughed and just told me to play around and practice. So I scooped, graded, and learned how to start it. Starting it is not like my truck. Choke, start position on the stick, gas pumping lever, start. It starts so well if you do the right switches. The key is funky.

image.jpg

Old machines have personality, with a little luck you will have a new friend

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, smudge said:

Don't tell HoSmudge. He is this close to buying a work tractor. If he does, there will not be a grain of sand unturned at camp. 

But it's awesome that you are learning how to do that. There's definitely a knack to it.

We found it on Craig’s list. 3500$

The guy was nice. He even delivered it for us. It sits out on the property. We are building a barn to house it, eventually. The barn will be for our gardening supplies, tractor, garden tools and trail building tools. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I tipped my backhoe one time while digging up a septic on the side of a mountain.  If I hadn’t been up against a tree it would have gone clear over.

A while back at work I was up in a manlift with a big guy, prolly go's about 275 maybe 300.

Anyway, we're up about 50 feet and only have 3 wheels on the ground, but we didn't know that. So I swing the bucket around and the center of gravity shifts, and the machine lifted one wheel and settled on to another, and we moved about 20 feet real fast. I was on top and bounced off his belly, had he been on top I would have been hurt, bad.

We both heard the other guy squeal like a little girl, but neither of us remember squealing   :dontknow:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Further said:

A while back at work I was up in a manlift with a big guy, prolly go's about 275 maybe 300.

Anyway, we're up about 50 feet and only have 3 wheels on the ground, but we didn't know that. So I swing the bucket around and the center of gravity shifts, and the machine lifted one wheel and settled on to another, and we moved about 20 feet real fast. I was on top and bounced off his belly, had he been on top I would have been hurt, bad.

We both heard the other guy squeal like a little girl, but neither of us remember squealing   :dontknow:

Don’t those have an alarm that goes off before you get to that point? My hoe didn’t, it was built pre-WWII.

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK, Fine.

Laugh, and I will whip you.  

I was scared, concentrating and nervous.  Also, my butt was frozen.  The seat is soooo cold.  It's metal and has no padding.

tractor.jpg

British Leyland, basically a Ford, good old tractors. As long as you don't drive off a cliff you'll be fine.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Can you guys believe that is enough lumber to build a house?  My hsband said he thinks that is all the lumber we need.  It doesn't seem like a lot.  Small house.  He said there is a ton of air in a house.

Is there a lot of lumber hidden behind the tractor? Is your house only slightly bigger than my shed? I'm skeptical. But feel free to prove me wrong! 👍

42 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK, Fine.

I was scared, concentrating and nervous.  Also, my butt was frozen.  The seat is soooo cold.  It's metal and has no padding.

tractor.jpg

Actually, that's exactly the face you should be making. Shows concentration. It's also how you make minor adjustments to your work. True story.

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

Is there a lot of lumber hidden behind the tractor? Is your house only slightly bigger than my shed? I'm skeptical. But feel free to prove me wrong! 👍

Look at the tarps held down by rocks.  My home is 1000 sq ft with a slightly bigger than two car garage.  We have not purchased the lumber for the barn/she shed yet. 

So, we have a porta potty and power.  We could almost live on the property.  We need a place to put our stuff though, so we can't sell just yet.

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

OK, Fine.

tractor.jpg

I used to drive one of them little things growing up. If you remove the back grader, get that bucket up high, you can pop from first to second and do wheelies!