Are UglyBob and I only folks

shootingstar

19 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

who like to write or fiddle with words?  Or maybe I got that wrong, UB.  I believe you've been writing a bk.

Am looking at some recent photos I took and pecking out some word thoughts for a new blog post on temperate rainforests.  

Yeah, I've written and published 3 books and several short stories. I'm working on a fourth book right now (not part of my series), and have at least 3 more books in process, as well as a couple of short stories. I write pretty much every day.

• Heart 4

23 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Yeah, I've written and published 3 books and several short stories. I'm working on a fourth book right now (not part of my series), and have at least 3 more books in process, as well as a couple of short stories. I write pretty much every day.

And your bk. topics/themes?

You're disciplined. Creativity doesn't always come consistently and writing isn't like mowing the lawn, unless some of your techniques are a cathartic upheaval of passionate  ideas, images..

22 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I’ve written a few short stories and have started numerous novels but never finished one. 

Unlike you and UglyBob, I hate writing short stories. I tried starting novel. Not me.

So blogging fills the gap for  me and merges with visual composition with my photos.

36 minutes ago, Airehead said:

i tend to write professional stuff and research.  Things I have published are boring.  I do fiddle, however.

I have several book reviews in a professional journal and written newsletter articles for professional associations.

For various jobs done some reports, business cases ..some of which summarized survey results or includes quantitative analysis for business planning. Yup, boring.  It did advance my career, etc.

Most of this stuff is easier than writing a whole book or novel. It's annoying how many STEM people put down humanities graduates who do write novels. It's a serious craft / gift.

I did consider a journalism university program as a 2nd degree option.

16 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

blogging fills the gap for  me and merges with visual composition with my photo

I have trouble consistently producing enough of the right kind of content for a blog, so I guest post on a top ranked writers blog from time to time. I do much better with books and short stories. 

24 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

And your bk. topics/themes?

I write fiction. The 3 books I have out there are part of an adventure/mystery series. The book I'm currently working on is a paranormal fantasy--something new for me.

The short stories can be about anything that pops into my head. I use them to try out different genres, points of view, and writing styles.

If you want to check them out, click on the website link in my signature line and go to the 'books' tab.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, UglyBob said:

I have trouble consistently producing enough of the right kind of content for a blog, so I guest post on a top ranked writers blog from time to time. I do much better with books and short stories. 

I write fiction. The 3 books I have out there are part of an adventure/mystery series. The book I'm currently working on is a paranormal fantasy--something new for me.

The short stories can be about anything that pops into my head. I use them to try out different genres, points of view, and writing styles.

If you want to check them out, click on the website link in my signature line and go to the 'books' tab.

I only publish 1 new blog post monthly.  Your book, "Catching Karma".....have you seen the movie -- The Double of Life of Veronique.  Kinda  elegaic paranormal movie but way more than that.  It sort of plays on doppelganger angle.  How  about a twin who looks like a present person but in another country/culture or different century? But make it a mystery. Probably a common theme in paranormal. 

It's too demanding for me to think of fresh new blog post ideas and write more often in arresting way to attract any readers.  Not that, my blog posts are cliff-hangers.  I suspect my visitors just like looking some photos and skim just a few sentences.  That's ok.. I write because of a lifelong intrinsic need that I can't stamp out completely. I've buried the writing Muse for a few years and then it wiggles out.  So I gotta do something to satisfy the need.

My niece couldn't at this time write paranormal romance..which sounds abit wierd to me. She writes interracial rom-coms. (She used to be a geological engineer.)

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, roadsue said:

I wrote education commentary for the union website for a few years. And I keep  a diary of poems and  short stories. Mostly, I support young people who want to write for publication. 

theedition.wordpress.com

We need educators like you. Good writing is useful in so many places. People who have an affinity for wanting to write need to be encouraged and valued for their skill. I'm actually tired of all the STEM emphasis from society's standpoint in terms of career.  It's important parents don't push too hard on some kids, who are naturally good writers... if STEM is not their strength and child is just pleasing /bending to parents, it can be a bit mentally unhealthy for the young adult as they do university courses where their heart/mind is not naturally there. 

I'm convinced some folks doin' wrong /criminal stuff, could be great writers or artists if they were directed/discovered earlier in life.

I had enormous arguments with father about majoring in English Lit.  I am the only one in family that majored in the humanities before 2nd degree.

At work, for the first time I wrote in an employee profile that our dept. helps manage 30 million records and growing. No one understood the scale of work we do. The dept. has never marketed to the rest of the organization the volume we are handling.  Instead lost in too many words on our corporate policies and procedures.  

29 minutes ago, Further said:

A while back I was writing short essays about my companion/ dog Badge here's a sample

•  

A friend at work had come into a boat, not sure how but he now owned a fourteen or fifteen foot runabout with an outboard motor. Milt invited a few of us from work to spend a Saturday at a local lake with him and his family. Badge, Linda and me; a couple guy's from work; Milt, his wife & two boys all gathered at the lake.

There was a problem with the boat, don't remember what. So we had hamburgers and beer on the shore Badge was having a fine time being petted,  played with and fed hamburgers. Badge did not snatch food, she would look the giver in the eyes, and hold their gaze while she gently took the offering, then wolf it down. This strategy worked well for her.   :P

So after the food and beer we looked at and fixed the boat. A few of us piled in the boat, some body was on water skis and off we went. Badge had not been invited. She didn't know anything about boats, but she knew her people were on one and leaving without her. Somebody stated the obvious "your dogs following us" "yep, she'll probably turn around"

After a shortened circle of the lake, we stopped and hauled Badge aboard. A good two or three hundred yards off shore, with no sign of turning back.

Badge didn't look like she really trusted the boat, but it beat swimming.      :)   

The great thing about writing...it gives clarity to thoughts and for certain situations, gut feelings.  For some people it is like releasing a butterfly or healed bird, even for imaginative fiction.  

Dog lovers often don't realize non-dog owners don't know about dog behaviour. I'm often quizzing dearie and his daughter why her dog is doing certain things.

Initially some siblings were abit appalled I was blogging publicly. Had to assure I would not mention names, etc. Besides blog is not an angry tirade. (more like I do some of it here. :P)

14 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If you would, please post where one can purchase a copy.  It sounds interesting, and I'll bet the photos are phenomenal!

I will. Should be available - both ebook and print formats through the normal sources (Amazon, Apple, B&N, Google and a couple others). Photos are a compromise, as many are street photography to illustrate, while others are standout. Also, as a "Bonus" due to the nature of illustrations and book pricing by size, have to be low resolution, but will have links within book to for full resolution to view (and offered for sale at greater profit than the book.) There are 9 chapters, plus 1 additional "About Me" on ebook/back cover for print version. 1) Introduction, 2) Orange County, 3) Seminole County, 4) Osceola County, 5) Local up to 30 miles (covers the adjacent overlap to neighboring counties), 6) Daytrips 31-110 miles, 7) Membership and discount plans (individually limited it to free-$20), 8) Bonus (where I have the links for full size photos - presented as a benefit), and 9) Exclusions (three areas - cost above $20, Frequently changing making book obsolete before printed (i.e. restaurants, etc) and could be - and are - a book in and of themselves (i.e. golf courses). While a photo starts each chapter, will reject attaching all 9, but here are a few. Tried to make them relevant to the chapter. The kissing manatee is "Introduction".

Daytrip -1.JPG

DSC_8319sky.JPG

Local -1.JPG

Manatee Greeting 300dpi-1.JPG

Sand Castles.JPG

• Heart 4

I've written a few short magazine articles and even got paid for some of them. Those that paid were for Car Mechanics magazine in the UK. I got 5 pounds for each. I had one article published in the Mensa Bulletin about bicycling.

I edited a college textbook about Access Databases. That paid a few dollars.

While in the US Air Force I made over 200 major changes to the technical orders for the aircraft that I was working one. I even completely rewrote the preflight and post-flight checklists for one aircraft. 

As you can see, my writing endeavors are all nuts and bolts stuff. No creativity involved.

• Heart 1

While I plan taking some courses in creative writing and taking a stab at fiction, my published stuff is mostly coauthored stuff in a dozen research papers from the 70's (and referenced in dozens of papers since, most recently in a U.S. Patent in 2007) including these two partial-first page pics from Journal of Organic Chemistry, where I worked under Jerry Kresge in Grad School at IIT/U of Toronto and with Bob Bergstrom and Yvonne Chiang (Jerry's wife) and Journal of the American Chemical Society, where I worked under Vic Vitullo as an undergrad at UMBC.

While I never reached the Nobel Prize winning position I dreamed of as a kid, the work I did for these papers, theoretical and synthetic, will live on and influence research for at least a century, especially on how to manipulate certain organic materials to undergo unusual transformations through the influence of weak acids and how to synthesize those materials.

image.thumb.png.d3df1003e9c745b3b0e70bce1249361d.png

image.thumb.png.e8de84020d920991c6c6e355219399ae.png

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, MickinMD said:

While I plan taking some courses in creative writing and taking a stab at fiction, my published stuff is mostly coauthored stuff in a dozen research papers from the 70's (and referenced in dozens of papers since, most recently in a U.S. Patent in 2007) including these two partial-first page pics from Journal of Organic Chemistry, where I worked under Jerry Kresge in Grad School at IIT/U of Toronto and with Bob Bergstrom and Yvonne Chiang (Jerry's wife) and Journal of the American Chemical Society, where I worked under Vic Vitullo as an undergrad at UMBC.

While I never reached the Nobel Prize winning position I dreamed of as a kid, the work I did for these papers, theoretical and synthetic, will live on and influence research for at least a century, especially on how to manipulate certain organic materials to undergo unusual transformations through the influence of weak acids and how to synthesize those materials.

image.thumb.png.d3df1003e9c745b3b0e70bce1249361d.png

image.thumb.png.e8de84020d920991c6c6e355219399ae.png

And now we all understand why MickinMD relaxes...

by playing chess!  :nodhead:

Holy cow, just look at some of those words.  You could start pronouncing some of them now and still not be done by next week!

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

And now we all understand why MickinMD relaxes...

by playing chess!  :nodhead:

Holy cow, just look at some of those words.  You could start pronouncing some of them now and still not be done by next week!

A blend of friend(s), a passion/keen interest that keeps the brain learning and exercise, will help his and our vitality/longevity.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Tizeye said:

My travel book is just about ready to publish. Just three more daytrips to gather material. Have 118 locations and around 300 photos. Expecting by the end of this month.

The front cover...

fountain cover-jpg 1500px.jpg

Me too-- I also would love a shout out when it is available for purchase