Update

Airehead

You amaze and impress me. Your dedication to your staff and students is inspiring, but as your friend, I also want to make sure you take care of yourself.  Take whatever time is necessary to heal.  Even mild concussions can be tricky and rushing back is doing no favors to you or the people who need you to be healthy.

On the plus side, the smokey eye look is still in, so if you just make up your other eye, you'll be quite stylish. :nodhead:

On the down side, you do make me feel foolish for carrying on about a cut on my finger. :whistle:

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Without too many details it was work related and involved an icy step and an emergency that needed an immediate intervention.    I intervened for staff safety and during that part involved a hit just right to the glasses, face shield, eye. All calmed and I stepped backwards to give space. That is when I stepped on the edge of the icy step and went plop.  Two freaky accidents in one but in the end all is ok.

I hate when that happens.

47 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Wow, hope you somehow got to take a day or 2 off from job --was that possible?

Off today and just working a bit. From home. Tomorrow is a holiday. We shall see about Tuesday. Not going to drive if not well so work at home. I am banned from any hands on interventions for 30 days post concussion which is our policy after any staff has a head injury. Could be longer if doctor wants it to be but I don’t think so. 

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Off today and just working a bit. From home. Tomorrow is a holiday. We shall see about Tuesday. Not going to drive if not well so work at home. I am banned from any hands on interventions for 30 days post concussion which is our policy after any staff has a head injury. Could be longer if doctor wants it to be but I don’t think so. 

You are dedicated to your job and know your value to the organization.

The problem with concussion is that the after effects are not even obvious to patient. What activities right now has your doctor recommended that you not do while not working?  Not driving, less time on computer?  As a test you tried walking fast, running lightly across your property to see if you get dizzy...I found out I got dizzy, walking fast down a shopping aisle 3 months after my injury.  The whizzing visual of shelf merchandise made me dizzy. My doctor said for some concussed patients, certain wallpaper designs made them dizzy.  I could not stand on 1 foot....for about 1 year. I do undertake physiotherapy sessions to strengthen parts of me for neuro-locomotor balance, relaxation, etc.

And as you might know, having a 2nd, 3rd concussion ...is cumulative brain damage. A person doesn't get "stronger" after each one.  I had a concussion from cyclist colliding into me. I lost my short-term memory for a few hrs., couldn't walk during lst 2 wks., couldn't take shower without getting dizzy and simple turning and bending down to do kitchen work made me dizzy. I had to take disability leave from job...5 months. 

Best thing is resting alot in bed. Reading a real book. Walking  (I needed dearie to walk with me, in case I fell. This was in winter during my recovery.), etc.

I was initially assessed in emergency care by an neurologist when brought into hospital by ambulance.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Without too many details it was work related and involved an icy step and an emergency that needed an immediate intervention.    I intervened for staff safety and during that part involved a hit just right to the glasses, face shield, eye. All calmed and I stepped backwards to give space. That is when I stepped on the edge of the icy step and went plop.  Two freaky accidents in one but in the end all is ok. I also get to maintain my reputation of not asking staff to do anything that I would not do myself. 

that said, I may be getting to old for physical interventions with young adults who are in distress. 

You need to make up a better story when asked.. something like Mike Tyson and you went 8 rounds.. you should see how he looks today! 

Hope you recover fast! 

• Heart 1

Glad you're feeling better.  A few Januaries ago, I slipped on ice returning from a quick McD's drive-through run and, instead of just letting myself fall, I successfully kept enough balance to avoid spilling my drink.

But saving that drink meant twisting around enough that I was wearing an ankle brace for a bad sprain for a couple months.

I hope you heal faster!

• Heart 1