French toast

Airehead

Do they call it French toast because the French invented it or, like the Belgians who invented and named French Fries, it's toast that someone else first cooked in the manner of the French?  What do they call it in France?

In high school, a Cuban refugee named Lorenzo was in my class and "Cuban Heels" were mentioned. Lorenzo asked what they were.  When a picture was shown he exclaimed, "Oh! We call them 'Hollywood Heels' in Cuba!"

A quick google says the recipe we call French toast is first mentioned in Roman Empire cookbooks from the 400's A.D., but called "Pan Dulcis" (sweet bread) and not related to Gaul or later France.  Much later, the French called it and still call it "pain perdu" which means "lost bread" because it was first made there with stale bread.

In the 1600's, it was first called "French toast" by the English, legend has it after a guy whose last name was French.

I guess that sounds better than egg & milk bread with maybe vanilla and cinnamon.

Since I'm now eating Schmidt's 647 bread with 6 nets grams of carbs per slice, maybe I'll have some for breakfast tomorrow - no cinnamon or vanilla extract handy so I'll have it with lite Hungry Jack microwaved syrup or maybe honey as the Romans did.  It will be soft enough to not threaten my temporary crown.

5 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Do they call it French toast because the French invented it or, like the Belgians who invented and named French Fries, it's toast that someone else first cooked in the manner of the French?  What do they call it in France?

In high school, a Cuban refugee named Lorenzo was in my class and "Cuban Heels" were mentioned. Lorenzo asked what they were.  When a picture was shown he exclaimed, "Oh! We call them 'Hollywood Heels' in Cuba!"

A quick google says the recipe we call French toast is first mentioned in Roman Empire cookbooks from the 400's A.D., but called "Pan Dulcis" (sweet bread) and not related to Gaul or later France.  Much later, the French called it and still call it "pain perdu" which means "lost bread" because it was first made there with stale bread.

In the 1600's, it was first called "French toast" by the English, legend has it after a guy whose last name was French.

I guess that sounds better than egg & milk bread with maybe vanilla and cinnamon.

Since I'm now eating Schmidt's 647 bread with 6 nets grams of carbs per slice, maybe I'll have some for breakfast tomorrow - no cinnamon or vanilla extract handy so I'll have it with lite Hungry Jack microwaved syrup or maybe honey as the Romans did.  It will be soft enough to not threaten my temporary crown.

I thought the original name was ‘freedom toast’.