I received an 'Online Banking Alert' from Bank of America

Bikeguy

2 hours ago, Zackny said:

Click on it. What’s the worse that could happen😁

Assuming my Norton 360 software fails to stop anything bad...   I can think of 2 possibilities for the worst thing;

1) I'm dumb enough to enter my userID and password, to enter the account.  Then my account is compromised and the bad guys have all of my contact info, address, etc... and they use my credit info to buy a home in Cancun, buy a big boat, etc... 

2) My SSD will get encrypted and I get the request for ransom.

Even though... Norton 360 claims it will prevent these bad things... I still will never will click on a link in an email, I don't want to find out what will happen.  

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

The advice in this situation is do not click on any links in the e-mail.

I never click on links in unexpected email.  I do click on links for the rare times I need to verify my email address for some reason that I originated.  

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I don't have a Bank of America account.  

I wonder how many people would click on the link???? 

(No worries... everything below is just a picture now.)

I forwarded the email (as an attachment) to Bank of America.   I did my good deed for the day.

image.png.208d4d3fc2f5b497b20a2bf5a47a6c60.png

You know, Mr. Goody Two Shoes, it's people like you that make it very difficult for people like me who just want to earn a living. :angry:

;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

You know, Mr. Goody Two Shoes, it's people like you that make it very difficult for people like me who just want to earn a living. :angry:

Hmmm....  I guess we have different understandings about the definition of 'earn'.  ;)

5 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I wonder how many people would click on the link???? 

(No worries... everything below is just a picture now.)

I forwarded the email (as an attachment) to Bank of America.   I did my good deed for the day.

image.png.208d4d3fc2f5b497b20a2bf5a47a6c60.png

I've had similar fake emails in the past, usually about my Amazon.com account. The sites you have accounts with do NOT have to "reconfirm" your information, they already have it: otherwise how would they know "different computers are trying to access your account"?

They're hoping you'll get so nervous worrying about your account you'll overlook the obvious flaws in the scam.

I heard tonight about a gift card scam that worked. Large company. A management minion gets an e mail from an employee buts it's a gmail.com address not largegrocerystore.com address. Guy goes out & buys 8 gift cards for $100 ea. Then the scammer has him scan the front& backs. Famous last words...don't tell your boss...

18 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Nor did I, but man am I happy I contacted them and got it all sorted out ASAP.  The young man who helped me, bless his heart, was so kind and helpful, and he must have been new as he seemed so nervous and misspoke a few times.  I was able to speak slowly, repeat things several times (SSNs have a lot of numbers and my family names are tough to spell (non-phonetic)), so I think he was relieved to have gotten me on the line.  Once he had my actual banking info, he was able to see why I got that mistaken BoA e-mail sent to me.  Stupid autocorrect and mass mailing mix-ups.

• Haha 2

We get several clients per week who click on them. They even call the 800 numbers instead of us. 
Last week I got a call on my work phone asking why I called her. I had not. She said the voice mail said I was from Apple. I verified I was not and it was someone trying to scam. After that she kept complaining about how terrible these people are. I agreed and kept trying to get her off the line. I didn’t just hang up because she had my number. She sounded just unhinged enough I didn’t want her to harass me.