Chili is soup: too much water

MickinMD

I'm killing time while starving and can't wait to eat.  It'll take another 15 min. or so for enough water to boil off of my chili to be really chili - water I thought I had to add at first. Once all the ingredients began boiling together the extent of water made itself apparent. Oh well, a good, long marinating of the ingredients will make it better.

I hadn't made chili for months, and I normally add 2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes with the cans' water along with the water from two cans of beans (kidney and pinto).

But "tomatoes-on-the-vine" I just bought on Wednesday were already turning too mushy to use on sandwiches and I knew they'd be fine for chili.  So I weighed them and a plum tomato that was getting old and they weighed 28 oz.  Perfect.  I chopped them up on a plate instead of a cutting board so I could add all the tomato water to the chili, but thought there still wasn't enough water:

20210117_155002_900p.jpg.31163b3a9a3015c1709623d23af47574.jpg

Here's how it is now.  That's thick enough for now.  I'm eating.  Bye.

20210117_164447_900p.jpg.ca66de40c8886e66dc75c74e35da61f9.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

I know very little about making chili but I would suggest adding some 4,4-dimethylcyclohexadienone in sufficient quantities that your chili undergoes a dialkoxycarbonium stepwise reaction, creating structural changes representing a concentrated stereochemical assignment shift to break the strong kinetic acidity association that’s preventing the necessary C-O bond cleavage.

Or not.

;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I know very little about making chili but I would suggest adding some 4,4-dimethylcyclohexadienone in sufficient quantities that your chili undergoes a dialkoxycarbonium stepwise reaction, creating structural changes representing a concentrated stereochemical assignment shift to break the strong kinetic acidity association that’s preventing the necessary C-O bond cleavage.

Or not.

;)

Dr. Micken might be one of the few people who understands your response.

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Or not.

;)

The funny thing is that my great strength was/is in organic chemical synthesis, not the theoretical stuff that was the main focus of the published research papers I co-wrote. As an industrial research chemist, my employers wanted to know some theoretical stuff, but 99% of what they wanted was my skill as a synthetic chemist. I was lucky that I was the guy in my research teams who was responsible for making the chemicals - many of them had never existed but we needed chemicals that started out with certain structures and small variations in them so we could uncover what happened during a chemical transformation.  I made 9 organic chemicals that had never existed before and my 1975 master's thesis, which focuses on making them using novel techniques, has been referenced many times in other published works into the 2000's.

I also did the kinetic studies and some of the theory work, but organic synthesis was my strength and most of my research time.  Of course, I also took 500 and 600 level courses in General Organic, Protein, and Polymer Synthesis and those were the key things that prepared me for "the real world."

Then, when I began teaching high school gifted-and-talented chemistry classes, I went into theoretical stuff much deeper than typical high school classes, but the stuff in my published papers required background knowledge so far beyond high school that I rarely mentioned it.

15 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The funny thing is that my great strength was/is in organic chemical synthesis, not the theoretical stuff that was the main focus of the published research papers I co-wrote. As an industrial research chemist, my employers wanted to know some theoretical stuff, but 99% of what they wanted was my skill as a synthetic chemist. I was lucky that I was the guy in my research teams who was responsible for making the chemicals - many of them had never existed but we needed chemicals that started out with certain structures and small variations in them so we could uncover what happened during a chemical transformation.  I made 9 organic chemicals that had never existed before and my 1975 master's thesis, which focuses on making them using novel techniques, has been referenced many times in other published works into the 2000's.

I also did the kinetic studies and some of the theory work, but organic synthesis was my strength and most of my research time.  Of course, I also took 500 and 600 level courses in General Organic, Protein, and Polymer Synthesis and those were the key things that prepared me for "the real world."

Then, when I began teaching high school gifted-and-talented chemistry classes, I went into theoretical stuff much deeper than typical high school classes, but the stuff in my published papers required background knowledge so far beyond high school that I rarely mentioned it.

Next time follow this recipe to the T.  You will thank me.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/chili/