Due Dates- Assignments not Babies

Airehead

I am doing a qualitative study of my current college students.  Assignments are due Sunday night by 10PM.  In the first two weeks of class, 9 people have turned them in by Saturday night, 2 minutes before the deadline, and two minutes after the deadline.

What is your style for school or work assignments--- do you like to get them in early or tempt the deadline?

At work I would be done early, but not first.  Sometimes the task would change.  I didn't want to be first, and find out I needed to revise the work I did.

As a manager... for the different tasks I assigned.   After a little while, I always knew who would be first, in the middle, just finish before the deadline, and who would most likely be late.  

With technology and online submission --several hrs. before time deadline cutoff.  Technology is reliable 99% of time.  However, after getting used to the online platform that the local university uses, I didn't want to take chances.  Last year was the first time, I completed my first multi-day online course. 

In past I did submit on the day of submission, but never in the last hr.  Much earlier in the day (not evening).  God, I remember before computers....I walked several 6 km. in late afternoon to drop off essay..that was late 1970's.!!!

For work reports, business cases, etc....admittedly I was sometimes pushing it to the final 2-4 hrs. before deadline. I guess I have a different psychology on that vs. credit courses.   

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

I am doing a qualitative study of my current college students.  Assignments are due Sunday night by 10PM.  In the first two weeks of class, 9 people have turned them in by Saturday night, 2 minutes before the deadline, and two minutes after the deadline.

What is your style for school or work assignments--- do you like to get them in early or tempt the deadline?

When I was in college, there was always some entertainment going on and so I would try to get my assignments done ASAP so I could join in.

I would add that, back in the 70's, you were seldom graded on homework - but if you didn't do it and weren't prepared for the next class, it was bound to catch up to you on the classes tests.

Of course, when you're taking 600 level Thermodynamics and Quantum Chemistry classes that require multivariable calculus, sometimes it takes every spare minute between classes to get the homework done.  After four pages of intricate calculations, you come up with an answer, check the answer on the list in the back of the book, and find out it looks much different than yours.  You look at the four pages of college-lined 8.5" x 11" paper and wonder where among all those equations you put together you went wrong.  Then you curse.

My Taiwanese roommate asked me, "What's that "F" word mean that you say when you're having trouble with your homework?"

Soon I was taught how to curse in Taiwanese and Mandarin!  I like the Chinese version of "bullshit."  It's phonetically "fun go pee" in Taiwanese and means "dog fart."  That's a much better description about what lies are coming out of someone's mouth!