When some bike / cycling advice /your cycling love helped others

shootingstar

Over the years, I've been occasionally approached by ..especially some women who have expressed keen interest in cycling. I can tell they are envious of flexible opportunities, local adventure possibilities by the way they ask questions / look at my bike.  None of my bikes have dropped-down handlebars, probably contributes to aura of  "bike-friendliness" to future newbies.

I'm always glad to hear later of someone I chatted in person who got better on bike / spent more time on bike / bought a bike.

Today I met a retired, former boss after not seeing her for last 7 yrs. Now she's psyched to try lst option to ask bike shops that rent bikes, to see if she get a discounted used bike that is serviced by staff before sale and who will help find/fit bike for her.  Our city local bike co-op for used bikes was shut down 2 yrs. ago.

She gave her car to daughter several yrs. ago.  Lives downtown (in different direction) close to stuff and bike lanes/routes. 

• Heart 1

I haven't gotten anyone interest in cycling, my helping others was in fixing/adjusting things like disc brakes for people in bike trail parking lots and giving a couple medicated bandaids to a pedestrian mother whose little girl had skinned her knee on a trail.

• Heart 1

When my son wanted to get into cycling, he was strapped for funds, so I offered to help him out and lend him the money to buy a new mid-level aluminum road bike.  He agreed and was very appreciative of my advice on what to buy.  We went to the bike shop and got him fitted for his new bike.  I paid around $1500 for it about eight years ago.

He has never, ever mentioned paying me back.  Luckily, I don't really give a crap about the money.  However, his total lack of moral principles kind of pisses me off.  

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Taylor said:

When my son wanted to get into cycling, he was strapped for funds, so I offered to help him out and lend him the money to buy a new mid-level aluminum road bike.  He agreed and was very appreciative of my advice on what to buy.  We went to the bike shop and got him fitted for his new bike.  I paid around $1500 for it about eight years ago.

He has never, ever mentioned paying me back.  Luckily, I don't really give a crap about the money.  However, his total lack of moral principles kind of pisses me off.  

Hopefully he is still riding the bike from time to time.

Honest, family member sometimes might mention the loan casually....especially to children. Each of us are probably guilty at some point in our lives..for taking parent's money for granted.  My mother had to casually mention for us to pay low rent to them when we started working after university, in a 2nd house they owned (and some of us lived in), was renting out and still had mortgage on it.

I loaned my baby sister a few paltry thousand $ when she started her medical doctor education and she asked for the loan.....  suddenly years later, I realized she still owes me the money.  I haven't chased her down ...because she's given back to me in different ways..as well as her physician advice. And I haven't given birthday, Christmas gifts to her and her family every single year since they are in a different province.  

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Does he at least ride the bike?  

I talked a couple people from the bike club into signing up for a century. They had never been on an organized ride, only club rides averaging 25 miles after work. I suggested they pace themselves, 100 miles is a lot further than 25. I rode with them the first 25 miles and when we stopped at the rest stop I told them to go on without me, I can’t do 100 miles at your pace. I caught up to them at the lunch stop at fifty miles. After lunch they were still hanging around. I asked them if they were ready to go. They said they were worn out and they called their spouses to come and get them. I did see one of them had signed up for the next ride. I didn’t get a chance to talk to them. I was riding with a noob that day and encouraging them.

• Heart 3

• Different family members have tried cycling around town for awhile. Some find jogging is a better cardio workout for them.  I know a niece rode around on her bike as a university student, in another city away from home. But she doesn't now. She goes for long walks...3-6 km.
  • A brother-in-law does occasionally ride to a branch campus, close to home, for certain days but drives to downtown campus. 
  • Sister of mine, her hubby and 2 of his relatives joined dearie and I, on a 300 km. trip between Toronto and north cottage country area (Muskokas) over a 3 day weekend trip.  One person did drive all our gear along the way. Dearie planned the route.
  • A nephew did work in 2 different sporting goods stores, where part of his job was bike repair and building bikes. Actually his summer job last year was putting together bikes for Walmart in Toronto.  Yes he doe bike, don't know how much.  He is fit from hockey, Ultimanum (frisbee) and soccer. So yea, interest feeds into 1 person (the parent), then to children.  

Another brother-in-law bought a tandem bike where his little son rode behind for 1-2 years.  Brother-in-law tends to jog and do several marathons.

48 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I talked a couple people from the bike club into signing up for a century. They had never been on an organized ride, only club rides averaging 25 miles after work. I suggested they pace themselves, 100 miles is a lot further than 25. I rode with them the first 25 miles and when we stopped at the rest stop I told them to go on without me, I can’t do 100 miles at your pace. I caught up to them at the lunch stop at fifty miles. After lunch they were still hanging around. I asked them if they were ready to go. They said they were worn out and they called their spouses to come and get them. I did see one of them had signed up for the next ride. I didn’t get a chance to talk to them. I was riding with a noob that day and encouraging them.

For some newbie cyclists, all they need is an experienced cyclist to be with them first time for a decent safe route that is accessible for them later. Just a bike map doesn't necessarily work, especially if some bike route/path connections are convoluted..I'm like that.  So dearie has shown me certain things by cycling with me.  I've talked to experienced touring cyclists who didn't do certain routes...because on the bike route map it looked confusing/convoluted..in certain areas.  

Also I'm abit geospatially challenged.  It's just me.  Dearie is better. Also as someone involved municipal cycling advocacy he knows in alot more detail the infrastructure ....because he was involved in proposing it to the municipality. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Does he at least ride the bike?  

Yes.  Not much lately, but he rode a lot for a couple years.  But he now lives in a congested community where just taking your bike out for a casual ride on local streets is difficult.

If he had asked me to buy him an early Christmas present and just give him the bike, I would have been happy to do so.  It's just the principle of the thing, or the lack thereof.

When I was young, I borrowed money from my Dad on numerous occasions.  I was always a fanatic about paying him back fully and on time.  For me, I could never have even conceived of stiffing my Dad or anyone else who helped me, but especially my Dad.  I could never have lived with myself.  But I guess for some people, the money means more to them than just doing the right thing.   

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Yes.  Not much lately, but he rode a lot for a couple years.  But he now lives in a congested community where just taking your bike out for a casual ride on local streets is difficult.

If he had asked me to buy him an early Christmas present and just give him the bike, I would have been happy to do so.  It's just the principle of the thing, or the lack thereof.

When I was young, I borrowed money from my Dad on numerous occasions.  I was always a fanatic about paying him back fully and on time.  For me, I could never have even conceived of stiffing my Dad or anyone else who helped me, but especially my Dad.  I could never have lived with myself.  But I guess for some people, the money means more to them than just doing what is right.   

His mom must have taught him poorly! :scratchhead:

• Haha 1

Funny to me that neither of my kids took to cycling or any endurance activity.  Both gravitated towards softball/baseball with a dabbling in Volleyball & Football.

I got the cycling bug early, 14 or so and was riding a lot from that point on.  My passion inspired my two cousins and they started riding in their late teens and both of them still ride. It really bums me out that we haven’t been able to ride. We try to get together a couple of times a year to ride.  It also inspired my brother who still rides.  

But it’s my wife who followed me into cycling.  She started riding before we had kids than took a break when the kids were young but has been full on roadie since the early 2000’s.

• Awesome 3

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

When I was young, I borrowed money from my Dad on numerous occasions.  I was always a fanatic about paying him back fully and on time.  For me, I could never have even conceived of stiffing my Dad or anyone else who helped me, but especially my Dad.  I could never have lived with myself.  But I guess for some people, the money means more to them than just doing the right thing.

Maybe this is just part of how many young people seem to have a sense of 'entitlement'.   Many expect to be given just about everything.  

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/for-parents/articles/2017-03-01/how-to-reduce-kids-sense-of-entitlement-in-a-me-generation

If I wanted something, I worked for it.  I have never asked my dad (or any other family member) for money.   If I couldn't afford something, I didn't buy it. (that's still true today)

I see my friends adult children from time to time and I'm glad they are not my children.  

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think a lot of it is just how the person is wired.  My daughter will always pay us back without us having to ask for but my son won’t.

When my older brother's business was floundering, he asked my mother for a $30,000 loan to keep it afloat.  She gave it to him and told me about it because the money was part of her estate (savings) that she planned on leaving to the three of us sons.  My brother's business eventually failed and he never paid her back, even though he eventually became solvent again and could have.  I'm pretty sure he had no idea that I knew anything about the loan.

When she passed, I was made the executor of her estate.  I thought my brother might come forward and insist on deducting the $30,000 debt from his share of the estate, but he made no mention of it. 

People suck.   

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I know what I would have done....

He could have simply denied that the loan ever happened.  It occurred about ten years before she passed and there was nothing in writing to prove the loan was ever made.  And after just losing my mother, I wasn't eager to get into a family squabble about money.  

• Heart 2