Maybe she should sell the house

Gump

Rosemary Anderson, 57, is on the hook for $152,000 in student loans she took out 20 years ago.

From the end of the story:

Anderson brings home $3,400 a month from her job in business operations at the University of California in Santa Cruz. She has a $2,200 mortgage payment and has to live on what's left, and earning some extra income by finding odd jobs on Craig's List.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/13/news/economy/older-student-debt/index.html

Not if you are a resident

University of California schools are very expensive.  UC Santat Cruz is far more expensive than a state school  SJSU for example.  

I was talking about resident rates.  Trust me.  I am well versed about colleges and rates of tuition.  ;)

SJSU about 19 grand a year while UCSC is 29 grand a year

what the hell is wrong with this country? Does everybody think they're entitled to live like a rock star or something?

She takes out 150G student loans and rather than pay it back she gets a mortgage that's more than twice as big as mine and then starts poor mouthing because she only has $1200 a month to live on after she pays her housing?

Plus, she's got a job at a University...you don't make rock star money working in the college admin office for crying out loud

its like everybody thinks that because they have to go without a gold plated big screen TV that they are a hardship case :whistle:

if she can't pay her student loan throw the bitch in jail and take her house

that's the American way

so thankful that we have zero student loans.  K's education is all paid for,  I saw the rates of the interest.

This is why I ate beans and rice just about every day for lunch and was totally frugal about living expenses.  I refused to incur more debt and we worked really hard.  He held three part time jobs while he want to school.    

so thankful that we have zero student loans.  K's education is all paid for,  I saw the rates of the interest.

This is why I ate beans and rice just about every day for lunch and was totally frugal about living expenses.  I refused to incur more debt and we worked really hard.  He held three part time jobs while he want to school.    

Y'all are doing good....and will be light years ahead of many people.

I have two degrees already.  One of them, I held down a fuill time and a part time job while finishing up.  Damned near killed me, but I didn't have any debt associated with education.  The masters degree is being paid for by the employer.

I pay every other class out of pocket. The other on a student loan. I also choose to make a few hundred dollars each month to the balance of what I took out. All tax back monies I got for school I also put towards principal.

All told I am halfway through "Junior" year and have about 5k in debt and have spent a total of 12k for my education so far. I did community college for the majority and now entering the university.

That way I pay as little as possible for that USF stationary that sez I edjumicated.

She lives in Watsonville, works at UCSC and it does not say where she went to school. 

I don't read.   :facepalm:

BC is $47k, BU is $46k, Harvard is $44k, MIT is $43k, Emerson U is only $36k for tuition alone.

UCSC is cheap compared to Boston schools.

It's nuts.  You'd think we would want an educated population in our country.  Schools are making that near impossible.

Watch, these loans are going to be forgiven and hurt our country.  Again, the responsible people will foot the bill and probably get screwed.

Watch, these loans are going to be forgiven and hurt our country.  Again, the responsible people will foot the bill and probably get screwed.

You should start voting GOP and come join the rest of us real Americans

I'd even mail you out a complimentary baseball bat so you could respond properly to any liberals you encounter out there on the left coast

I don't read.   :facepalm:

It's nuts.  You'd think we would want an educated population in our country.  Schools are making that near impossible.

You can get a good education in a reasonable time and amount. Mine will cost close to 22k when I am done. Will, hopefully, graduate with honors from a quality university.

The problem is people need a four year degree for administration, marketing, social sciences, or half a dozen degree programs that translates to "office peon".
Who needs a degree costing twice your starting salary?

I have a friend who spent $65k for a bachelor's and master's degree in social psychology. They work at the salvation army rehab center for $35k yearly.

Insane.

You can get a good education in a reasonable time and amount. Mine will cost close to 22k when I am done. Will, hopefully, graduate with honors from a quality university.

The problem is people need a four year degree for administration, marketing, social sciences, or half a dozen degree programs that translates to "office peon".
Who needs a degree costing twice your starting salary?

I have a friend who spent $65k for a bachelor's and master's degree in social psychology. They work at the salvation army rehab center for $35k yearly.

Insane.

We spent close to 36,000 for K's education. That doesn't include housing costs or living expenses.  Just books, fees and tuition.  The nursing program recommended that you not work at all while attending.  Working was discouraged.   :rolleyes:

Healthcare industries like the pharmaceuticals still make billions each year, hospitals and their employees are getting screwed and not in a good way. Our small department had lost two people in the last year. Raises are tiny our non-existent. New purchases are near impossible. I hate the pharmaceutical companies. They are as bad or worse than tobacco.

Healthcare industries like the pharmaceuticals still make billions each year, hospitals and their employees are getting screwed and not in a good way. Our small department had lost two people in the last year. Raises are tiny our non-existent. New purchases are near impossible. I hate the pharmaceutical companies. They are as bad or worse than tobacco.

My new med costs $81,600 a year, retail.  $6800 a month or $113 per pill.

I paid my college loans off...got to say...I do get "Gimme money" letters from both of my previous schools..to donate toward a scholarship fund....I don't....I feel like I paid for my education between loans and working hard.

If they want to "forgive" student loans...then make sure they get at least 2 years of UNPAID work from them...as teachers or in the military or something...

NO FREE RIDE!!!

My new med costs $81,600 a year, retail. $6800 a month or $113 per pill.

See, there is no need for that. I don't want to hear about the research and development either. I remember hearing a case that Bayer settled on a few years back for 84 billion. It didn't even hurt them.

The cost of your meds is probably 99% profit.

See, there is no need for that. I don't want to hear about the research and development either. I remember hearing a case that Bayer settled on a few years back for 84 billion. It didn't even hurt them.

The cost of your meds is probably 99% profit.

Well, in their defense, it is a profit making company and they have a copay program.  I pay nothing for it.  They even have assistance programs for people that can't afford the drug.  I think that is kinda nice.  Takes the worry away a bit for me.

Well, in their defense, it is a profit making company and they have a copay program. I pay nothing for it. They even have assistance programs for people that can't afford the drug. I think that is kinda nice. Takes the worry away a bit for me.

I'm glad they exist and glad they help you. I want you to have a long and full life.

Ouch. Both my children had full tuition scholarships. I had one too. We incurred 0 education debt. Our house cost $80 k. Our mortgage was $700 a month. It's nothing fancy, but it is very comfortable and we still love it. We've always tried to live we'll within our means and to teach our kids to the same. When they were in school we told them that we'd help and support whatever direction they chose to go in, but if they wanted to go to college then they needed to work for it academically. They both took that to heart and graduated in the tops of their respective classes. I am very proud of them. :-)

• Heart 1