Your cake preference: chilled or room temperature?

MoseySusan

My favorite cake that my mother used to make for me was strawberry shortcake, with lots of strawberries and whipped cream or whatever.  The juice from the berries would penetrate the cake layers, making it soft and moist.  It was at its very best straight from the refrigerator.  With black coffee, of course.    :wub:  

• Heart 1

46 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Chilled cake is WRONG!

If there’s anything gooey, like caramel or the coconut icing on a German chocolate cake, then room temperature. But a slice of white cake or chocolate cake with icing is lovely when chilled. Especially with a cup of coffee.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Pie is yummy.

Chilled pie? Room temperature? Warmed? 

Totally depends on the pie.  Three of my favorites, Pumpkin, Mincemeat and Strawberry-Rhubarb are all awesome cold, rt or warm.

The greatest of all pies, the pie that all pies aspire to be, Coconut Creme, is best served chilled 

• Heart 2

It depends on the cake.
Carrot cake, and cheese cake, chilled is a requirement. Same for those overly mousse-y slabs of chocolate that are way too rich to finish. 
Most three layer cakes and sheet cakes are fine at room temp. 
Coffee cake is best warm. 
Pound cake, banana bread, and the like are best the next day, sliced thin, and lightly toasted with a glop of melting butter on top. 

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Eww, me either.  That's why cake, whatever the frosting, never sits on the counter at our house for more than two minutes.

I think we've left sticks of butter on the counter for more than days. It is easier to spread, and we keep our house cooler than most.

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

If there’s anything gooey, like caramel or the coconut icing on a German chocolate cake, then room temperature. But a slice of white cake or chocolate cake with icing is lovely when chilled. Especially with a cup of coffee.

Ok, there is nothing right with German chocolate cake, I  am not sure that I would allow its existence were I dictator.  

I am not a gooey cake fan, and appreciate only 1950’s diner-style cakes with buttercream frosting, and not that effete whipped crap, either.  

Salted butter is fine out on a counter for well over a week, even in summer, too.