So I got Bose noise canceling headphones for Christmas

Ralphie

I don’t have Bose but I have headphones that are noise canceling. I bought them online when I needed to hear my phone ring while mowing or snow blowing or running the chainsaw. They not only block out the noise but when the phone rings the music stops and I push a button on the right headphone and answer the phone. They worked great for that all summer if my wife needed me she could just call me. Her condition has got worse and she is unable to use the phone now.😥 I need to make a run into town but I’m afraid to leave her for a short run. I expect from the way she has been acting one of these times she will fall asleep and just not wake up.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 10
  • Hugs 3

5 hours ago, groupw said:

We sell the Bose headphones. They really do work! I keep thinking a pair would be nice but always something I need/want more!

I wish the technology had existed during my race car days.  Back then a cotton ball in each ear was noise canceling tech.  In the day, Nitro Funny car motors were measured at 139 db 50 feet off centerline.  The driver was on the centerline.  Death for ears.

Wut?

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

An example of one of the few RC aircraft that I know has killed someone.  Sometime back in the 80's or 90's a poorly thought out RC airshow at halftime in a New York football game had one of these go out of control and crash into the crowd.

I hope the pilot sent a John Deere letter.

19 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

They really work!  They should be good for lawn mowing, but I think I prefer normal headphones for household use. 

I get a little worried about headphones if they cut off too much outside noise when I'm mowing the lawn, etc.  Two-ear headphones or buds are banned on bicycles on state and county bike trails in Maryland because of accidents that occurred because of them.

Enjoy them, but be careful!

My boss got us noise canceling headphones with a microphone for Christmas one year.  They have good sound and they really do block out all the sound around you.  I was using them on a conference call.  I couldn't hear myself talk so I TALKED REALLY LOUD AND PISSED OFF EVERYONE WHO SIT NEAR ME.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

There is a lot of hype around the Bose name. Some of it is deserved. Some is not. I remember our small city having 3 or 4 quality audio dealers at the same time in the late 70s. One of the places was crazy about Bose. This was in the days of 301, 501 and 901 speakers. All would sound great if they were installed in a symmetric setup. But they relied so much on reflection that they never sounded as good at homes as they did in the store’s sound room. 
That was always an asterisk on Bose products for me. Their cars stereos were also problematic. I had to be convinced to give the headphones a chance. The full over the ear sound amazing. I would love to try their in ear for when I run but I want to hear them first. Unfortunately, they don’t let you just test because, you know, they get in your ear...

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I get a little worried about headphones if they cut off too much outside noise when I'm mowing the lawn, etc.  Two-ear headphones or buds are banned on bicycles on state and county bike trails in Maryland because of accidents that occurred because of them.

Enjoy them, but be careful!

I would definitely not want to use them for walking. They cut off way too much outside noise.  I would think the only problem with mowing would be if someone wanted to get my attention, but my wife could just call for that wine I would be using my phone with them most likely all the time. 

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

get a little worried about headphones if they cut off too much outside noise when I'm mowing the lawn

Just don’t mow the street and you will be fine. My noise canceling headphones have a switch, they are just regular headphones until you turn on the switch. You get a lot better life on a charge if you use them without the noise canceling turned on.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

How so? I currently have one in my car. I’m not an audiophile, but it sounds good to me.

Maybe they resolved it, but for a while it seemed the amplifier used in Bose systems had a high rate of failure. Sometimes time gets blurry. Could be further back in time than I think. 
I will say that my 2 daughters bought near identical Mazda3s a few years ago. One happened to have the Bose package.  They went back and forth several times but could not hear a sound difference to warrant the premium for the Bose name 

I was under the impression that these only cut off high amplitude (loud) noise but passed normal noise like speaking.  If that were true they should work just fine while walking.  There is the problem of intentionally passed music though that keeps you from hearing the important sounds around you.  :facepalm:

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I was under the impression that these only cut off high amplitude (loud) noise but passed normal noise like speaking.  If that were true they should work just fine while walking.  There is the problem of intentionally passed music though that keeps you from hearing the important sounds around you.  :facepalm:

When it is noisy, you go full silent on the outside noise, that is really what you have them for.  There are times I use the transparent mode, but in the city I usually want to shut the world out as much as possible.

14 hours ago, groupw said:

There is a lot of hype around the Bose name. Some of it is deserved. Some is not.

This so much.

Their full sized ANC headphones are nice, in my opinion that's all they offer that is. Even there they are basically neck and neck with Sony. 

From their other offerings in home and personal audio (I cannot speak to car audio) there is so many options that would provide a cleaner, better listening experience.