Jump to content
Square Wheels Cycling

So I got Bose noise canceling headphones for Christmas


Recommended Posts



I don’t have Bose but I have headphones that are noise canceling. I bought them online when I needed to hear my phone ring while mowing or snow blowing or running the chainsaw. They not only block out the noise but when the phone rings the music stops and I push a button on the right headphone and answer the phone. They worked great for that all summer if my wife needed me she could just call me. Her condition has got worse and she is unable to use the phone now.😥 I need to make a run into town but I’m afraid to leave her for a short run. I expect from the way she has been acting one of these times she will fall asleep and just not wake up.

  • Like 1
  • Hugs 3
  • Sad 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

They really work!  They should be good for lawn mowing, but I think I prefer normal headphones for household use. 

Wait until you have to fly, then those are the best things ever!

  • Awesome 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We sell the Bose headphones. They really do work! I keep thinking a pair would be nice but always something I need/want more!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I bought a new set of headphones. Fedex says they delivered them at 5:30 pm on Friday, but they are not here. Still waiting.

Maybe one of the sheep’s took them from your porch. I think you have been fleeced by your own sheep.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, groupw said:

We sell the Bose headphones. They really do work! I keep thinking a pair would be nice but always something I need/want more!

I wish the technology had existed during my race car days.  Back then a cotton ball in each ear was noise canceling tech.  In the day, Nitro Funny car motors were measured at 139 db 50 feet off centerline.  The driver was on the centerline.  Death for ears.

Wut?

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Maybe one of the sheep’s took them from your porch. I think you have been fleeced by your own sheep.

Oh yeah!  A sheep fleeces man story is even better than man bites dog!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Wait until you have to fly, then those are the best things ever!

Why would you mow the lawn on a plane?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Why would you mow the lawn on a plane?

To drown out crying kids and jet engines, of course!  Also helps if you are seated by drunk buffoons and/or conspiracy theorists.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

To drown out crying kids and jet engines, of course!  Also helps if you are seated by drunk buffoons and/or conspiracy theorists.

Rc Flying GIF

  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Rc Flying GIF

An example of one of the few RC aircraft that I know has killed someone.  Sometime back in the 80's or 90's a poorly thought out RC airshow at halftime in a New York football game had one of these go out of control and crash into the crowd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

An example of one of the few RC aircraft that I know has killed someone.  Sometime back in the 80's or 90's a poorly thought out RC airshow at halftime in a New York football game had one of these go out of control and crash into the crowd.

I hope the pilot sent a John Deere letter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

They really work!  They should be good for lawn mowing, but I think I prefer normal headphones for household use. 

I get a little worried about headphones if they cut off too much outside noise when I'm mowing the lawn, etc.  Two-ear headphones or buds are banned on bicycles on state and county bike trails in Maryland because of accidents that occurred because of them.

Enjoy them, but be careful!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My boss got us noise canceling headphones with a microphone for Christmas one year.  They have good sound and they really do block out all the sound around you.  I was using them on a conference call.  I couldn't hear myself talk so I TALKED REALLY LOUD AND PISSED OFF EVERYONE WHO SIT NEAR ME.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of hype around the Bose name. Some of it is deserved. Some is not. I remember our small city having 3 or 4 quality audio dealers at the same time in the late 70s. One of the places was crazy about Bose. This was in the days of 301, 501 and 901 speakers. All would sound great if they were installed in a symmetric setup. But they relied so much on reflection that they never sounded as good at homes as they did in the store’s sound room. 
That was always an asterisk on Bose products for me. Their cars stereos were also problematic. I had to be convinced to give the headphones a chance. The full over the ear sound amazing. I would love to try their in ear for when I run but I want to hear them first. Unfortunately, they don’t let you just test because, you know, they get in your ear...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I get a little worried about headphones if they cut off too much outside noise when I'm mowing the lawn, etc.  Two-ear headphones or buds are banned on bicycles on state and county bike trails in Maryland because of accidents that occurred because of them.

Enjoy them, but be careful!

I would definitely not want to use them for walking. They cut off way too much outside noise.  I would think the only problem with mowing would be if someone wanted to get my attention, but my wife could just call for that wine I would be using my phone with them most likely all the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

get a little worried about headphones if they cut off too much outside noise when I'm mowing the lawn

Just don’t mow the street and you will be fine. My noise canceling headphones have a switch, they are just regular headphones until you turn on the switch. You get a lot better life on a charge if you use them without the noise canceling turned on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

How so? I currently have one in my car. I’m not an audiophile, but it sounds good to me.

 Maybe they resolved it, but for a while it seemed the amplifier used in Bose systems had a high rate of failure. Sometimes time gets blurry. Could be further back in time than I think. 
I will say that my 2 daughters bought near identical Mazda3s a few years ago. One happened to have the Bose package.  They went back and forth several times but could not hear a sound difference to warrant the premium for the Bose name 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was under the impression that these only cut off high amplitude (loud) noise but passed normal noise like speaking.  If that were true they should work just fine while walking.  There is the problem of intentionally passed music though that keeps you from hearing the important sounds around you.  :facepalm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I was under the impression that these only cut off high amplitude (loud) noise but passed normal noise like speaking.  If that were true they should work just fine while walking.  There is the problem of intentionally passed music though that keeps you from hearing the important sounds around you.  :facepalm:

When it is noisy, you go full silent on the outside noise, that is really what you have them for.  There are times I use the transparent mode, but in the city I usually want to shut the world out as much as possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

When it is noisy, you go full silent on the outside noise, that is really what you have them for.  There are times I use the transparent mode, but in the city I usually want to shut the world out as much as possible.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, groupw said:

There is a lot of hype around the Bose name. Some of it is deserved. Some is not.

This so much.

Their full sized ANC headphones are nice, in my opinion that's all they offer that is. Even there they are basically neck and neck with Sony. 

From their other offerings in home and personal audio (I cannot speak to car audio) there is so many options that would provide a cleaner, better listening experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...