Inauguration Activities

Airehead

The 'Decades' channel is showing old inauguration speeches from former presidents.  I watched about 2 minutes of one of Nixon's speeches and decided these are unwatchable.  I had to find another channel and landed on the local FOX station.  I'll probably keep it there all day so I'll probably see the whole inauguration.

Biden is the 2nd Catholic to become President.

How different than the first time.  Few people notice or care if he is Catholic now.  That was NOT true in 1960.  The GOP was still trying to make people believe Kennedy would be controlled by the Pope.

( was in 5th then 6th grade in a Catholic School with almost all nun teachers in 1960.  Those of us who walked a mile home from school were prized by the nuns: they could load us down with a bunch of Kennedy fliers to stick in gates (we weren't allowed to put them in mailboxes) as we walked home.

It had been said in past campaigns that people shouldn't vote for a Catholic because he would be obedient to the political wishes of the Vatican - even though that hadn't been true when 1928 candidate and Catholic Al Smith had been the Governor of New York, etc.

When Jack Kennedy was elected the first Catholic President the school was thrilled.

Of course, the scene is burned in my mind and those of everyone else present when Sister Morita, the school Principal, walked into our class a few years later, whispered something to our teacher who collapsed back in her chair, and then informed us that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas, then led us in prayer.

Not knowing the gravity of the situation, I walked home disappointed that my neighbor - and still friend to this day - Lauretta's birthday party has been cancelled.  Of course, I've never forgotten her birthday ever since.

• Heart 2

Working.  The patients will all have it on their TV's.  I won't watching it but I am sure I will see bits and pieces.  I am not exactly excited about the incoming president, but in all fairness I wasn't exactly excited about the outgoing president either.  It's kinda like trying to make a decision on if you would rather be punched in the nose or kicked in the nuts.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I just watched the Trump Goodbye Speech from Andrews Air Force Base.

It's the first time the outgoing President didn't attend the inauguration of the next President since Andrew Johnson in 1969.

161 years old too. I bet he took a nap instead of going to a ball

3 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I am old and have lived through many inaugurations, but I have never watched a single one.  The swearing in and inaugural rhetoric is unimportant compared to what they actually do later.  I do love to watch press conferences, whenever the incumbent President has the guts to actually hold one.

This is going to be my first inauguration.  I like having a TV going in the background as I WFH and I have limited channels.  As I said, my favorite channel is showing old inauguration speeches which didn't interest me so I'm watching my local FOX affiliate.  That means I'll watch my first.  I hope Biden's speech is as short as Trump's was.  If he can't keep is short then do the speech as President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho would.

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I am old and have lived through many inaugurations, but I have never watched a single one.  The swearing in and inaugural rhetoric is unimportant compared to what they actually do later.  I do love to watch press conferences, whenever the incumbent President has the guts to actually hold one.

Living in the DC area, I rarely watch any full inauguration speech let alone the full process from start to finish.  I have attended one inauguration on the Mall, so that's about the only time I saw the whole thing (but not the parade), and viewing from the Mall misses much that would be on TV.  Generally, these things are snooze-fests.

Either working or watching Buzzr tv as "background noise" .   Although I did read that the men's figure skating champion, Nathan Chen,  is participating in the Olympians portion of the virtual parade .  

My stocks just hit an all-time high.

It reminds me that I graduated from IIT grad school at the end of 1975 and struggled through an awful recession throughout 1976 - a former chemistry professor giving me a low-paying research job - to "keep me in spending money" while I searched for a good job.  I was finally hired as an industrial research chemist at $16,000 (a decent $73,000 in today's dollars) on Jan. 20, 1977 - the day of Jimmy Carter's Inauguration.

45 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

The gov't sure has a lot of Suburbans :)

It was not unusual for me to pop out of my office at lunch time and see a line of Suburbans parked - illegally to normal folks - out front. Likewise, the hotels in the near vicinity would very often have foreign folks in Suburbans lined up discharging/picking up folks in suits.  Definitely a vehicle of choice.  When you wander down Embassy Row, though, you still see that big Mercedes are popular with the "diplomat" plated cars.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Working.  The patients will all have it on their TV's.  I won't watching it but I am sure I will see bits and pieces.  I am not exactly excited about the incoming president, but in all fairness I wasn't exactly excited about the outgoing president either.  It's kinda like trying to make a decision on if you would rather be punched in the nose or kicked in the nuts.

We don't have to be excited about either leader, but we can honor the peaceful transfer of power.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I went grocery shopping at a large supermarket around 10:30 am, 90 minutes before the actual swearing in, and picked $66 worth, everything on my list, in no time: the place had more staff than customers and three cashiers had no one in line when I checked out. I said to my cashier, "I guess everyone's home watching the Biden Inauguration."

"Oh!" she replied not realizing it was today, "I guess that's why it's so empty today!"

Normally, not something I'd watch.  But in future years, historians will talk about "3 Wednesdays in January".  I thought I should watch.

It was actually a stirring and extremely well done ceremony.

I will not watch any of the follow up talking heads.  Unless I wear my noise cancelling headphones, in which case I won't hear a word they say.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

I missed her.  The dog was demanding a walk.  I heard she killed the Star Spangled Banner.

I actually enjoyed it. She didn't go crazy on it, but she put a little of her own personalization to it. I liked it.

I have not been a fan of Mike Pence; he weirds me out. But I appreciate that he actually showed up for this ceremony. Brought him up a few notches in my book.

• Heart 2