The Rona immunization fix

Dottleshead

8 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I have the opportunity to get the shot. I was going to wait and let this vet out and let you all test it. I believe in the science -- but this is pretty quick. Should I or would you do it? I'm not too concerned about problems but more cautious.

I’ve done it twice without any side effects other than a mildly sore arm. I have coworkers who reported mild flu-like side effects for 24 hours after dose 2, but otherwise no problems. This is all Pfizer vaccine. 

If I had breathing issues, I’d have gotten it sooner than I did! 

Just now, petitepedal said:

I got 250 people here..62 to 100...anyone of them would take your shot...They ask me anywhere from 1 to 10 times a day..when will we get the shot....they may have to do it on their own..we may never get assigned a clinic here.

My wife and I are both over 50 and living with someone in their 70s.  That's what give us this possibility -- at least that's what I'm being told.  Nothing set in stone yet, but I think this can happen.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

My wife and I are both over 50 and living with someone in their 70s.  That's what give us this possibility -- at least that's what I'm being told.  Nothing set in stone yet, but I think this can happen.

I'd do it. We are 78 and 79 both with complications and still no word on vaccine.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I have the opportunity to get the shot. I was going to wait and let this vet out and let you all test it. I believe in the science -- but this is pretty quick. Should I or would you do it? I'm not too concerned about problems but more cautious.

Do it.  We need people like you to act as guinea  pigs for the rest of us.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dottles said:

As a scientist and after consultation with my recently retired Johns Hopkins COVID-research sister, I'm getting the vaccinations as soon as I can.

There have been people getting these shots for 2/3 of a year in testing and over a month in advanced countries and the probability of problems is tremendously less than the probability of catching COVID if I don't get the vaccine.  1 out of every 15 Americans has caught it, 1 out of 18 here in Maryland, and there's a 5% chance of dying among those of us age 70 and the likelihood of losing 1 year or more of life even if we recover.

At the bottom is the breakdown in deaths by age group in Maryland. The percentage is dropping among older people after COVID hit the nursing homes hard in the Spring, but it still is significant in recent months (above 2%) for those 60 or older.  I would tell anyone over 50 that getting the vaccine should outweigh the hope you don't catch it and die or have your future health hampered.  Under 50, you might wait, but I don't think the statistics will favor waiting because the current vaccine isn't going to kill you unless you have extremely allergy or other medical conditions but COVID might kill you or do permanent harm to you future life.

I become eligible to register next Monday, 1/25, at a hospital or apparently at my doctor's office (I'll find out there Friday during a diabetic blood test followup) to request that someone call me for an appointment to get a COVID vaccination.

image.png.b9ddf8f32388ec435532eba07106f03c.png

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I got 250 people here..62 to 100...anyone of them would take your shot...They ask me anywhere from 1 to 10 times a day..when will we get the shot....they may have to do it on their own..we may never get assigned a clinic here.

No, shots that are being diverted from you aren’t going to the PNW, that’s a Blue region. They’re going to Red States like Florida. Apparently to be given to Canadian Snow Birds. ‘Murcia!

• Haha 2

On 1/20/2021 at 6:37 PM, Dottles said:

Not every do-do can get one.

If you can get one now, I would. I have read that the federal government transition team is finding scarcities in both plans and vaccine. Vaccine supplies may actually become more scare in the immediate future before they become more widely available. You may not have another chance for awhile.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

If you can get one now, I would. I have read that the federal government transition team is finding scarcities in both plans and vaccine. Vaccine supplies may actually become more scare in the immediate future before they become more widely available. You may not have another chance for awhile.

Yeah I already told my wife to pursue it 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My hope is that the federal plan will come out soon and be relatively transparent in who, what, where, when, and how the vaccines will get into folks arms.  It's only Jan 22, 2021, so it's not like we can expect miracles overnight.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

My hope is that the federal plan will come out soon and be relatively transparent in who, what, where, when, and how the vaccines will get into folks arms.  It's only Jan 22, 2021, so it's not like we can expect miracles overnight.

Yes, it will happen, eventually. But I do expect more bumps in the road in the immediate future than with the 1A role-out, IMO. Locally, they’ve stopped making new vaccine appointments due to shortages of supplies.

They’re making about 7 million doses a week, IIRC. 

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Making and immediately shipping and using, or just making?  And that's doses for the US market solely, I assume, not what are also sent outside the US???

Idk, I heard that number on NPR this morning. I believe it’s for US use, as the comment was they’ll have to nearly double production to get the target of 100,000,000 doses in the next 100 days. Not sure what the time frame from manufacture to going into arms. Hopefully that will shrink over time.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Idk, I heard that number on NPR this morning. I believe it’s for US use, as the comment was they’ll have to nearly double production to get the target of 100,000,000 doses in the next 100 days. Not sure what the time frame from manufacture to going into arms. Hopefully that will shrink over time.

Isn't 7,000,000/week = 1,000,000/day? So, 100 days = 100,000,000?  Or is the goal 100million getting both doses in which case, yes, we would need twice as many.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the goal is their "soft target" not their "stretch goal".  But we'll see.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Isn't 7,000,000/week = 1,000,000/day? So, 100 days = 100,000,000?  Or is the goal 100million getting both doses in which case, yes, we would need twice as many.

I'm thinking (hoping) that the goal is their "soft target" not their "stretch goal".  But we'll see.

The goal is for both shots, not just 100,000,000 initial injections without plan for the second. The goal is for the vaccine to be maximally effective, after all!