EVEREST!

Razors Edge

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

FTR - @ChrisL and his CA roadie pals are temperature ninnies!  76 is too HOT????? WTF, MAN!

I watched that last night. Phil says it was pushing 90 on the road.  Not ideal for an Everest attempt.  

It was unseasonably warm the past few weeks in SoCal.  The temps didn’t keep us from riding tho. 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I watched that last night. Phil says it was pushing 90 on the road.  Not ideal for an Everest attempt.  

It was unseasonably warm the past few weeks in SoCal.  The temps didn’t keep us from riding tho. 

:frantics:

Yeah, I got it.  I consider a 70s or 80s ride a slice of heaven, but I do start to sweat much more when it hits the 80s at a rate that would be less optimal than high 60s temps.  But crazy the effort to do an attempt.  $$$ and volunteers which make it way more of a headache than just doing the ride itself.

47 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

:frantics:

Yeah, I got it.  I consider a 70s or 80s ride a slice of heaven, but I do start to sweat much more when it hits the 80s at a rate that would be less optimal than high 60s temps.  But crazy the effort to do an attempt.  $$$ and volunteers which make it way more of a headache than just doing the ride itself.

I haven’t looked closely where in Malibu his attempt was but that area is really odd in that if you are on the western edge of the Mtn range it’s often overcast & chilly.  Head over to the east side and it’s blazing hot.  Some of the hottest areas of SoCal are just on the backside of the Santa Monica mtns.

Im guessing the road is on the back side which would explain why it was much hotter than the reported temp. I bet had he searched Thousand Oaks or Woodland Hills instead of Malibu he would have gotten a more accurate temp.

39 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I wouldn’t consider a 19% grade to be optimal for rapid ascent, but my arms don’t look like a t-Rex, either.

You think 20%+ would be better? 

It really is power and weight, and he seems to have the sustained power 300+watts and a fairly optimal weight (he's lighter than ME!!!) for that power level, but he does seem to have some heat issues - and surely some cold weather issues with no fat on him! 

He looks - going up those monster grades - about how I look going up a 1% grade.  It is crazy!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

He looks - going up those monster grades - about how I look going up a 1% grade.  It is crazy!

He is running MTB gearing. Which seems odd given the gearing options available with a compact crank, but he’s going at this for 6+ hours. So... sure.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You think 20%+ would be better?

He seems to think so.

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I haven’t looked closely where in Malibu his attempt was but that area is really odd in that if you are on the western edge of the Mtn range it’s often overcast & chilly.  Head over to the east side and it’s blazing hot.  Some of the hottest areas of SoCal are just on the backside of the Santa Monica mtns.

Im guessing the road is on the back side which would explain why it was much hotter than the reported temp. I bet had he searched Thousand Oaks or Woodland Hills instead of Malibu he would have gotten a more accurate temp.

Was he on Mulholland?

George Vargas Everested farther south, down by Encinitas ?  Lori Hoechlan Everested on Alpe Huez.

13 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

He is running MTB gearing. Which seems odd given the gearing options available with a compact crank, but he’s going at this for 6+ hours. So... sure.

Do you "spin" a compact on 15+%?  I sure as hell don't (can't!).  My 34/28 is maybe 8mph on a 10+% grade and that like 60rpm.  If I had MTB gearing, I'd still be going 8mph, but definitely spinning a higher and more efficient cadence - whether for 5 minutes or 5 hours of climbing. 

10 hours ago, az_cyclist said:

Was he on Mulholland?

Nope - some side street he names (Trancas Canyon) in Malibu.

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

this everesting is some crazy chit

Makes one wonder what "normal" folks could do it at.  I definitely would prefer four times up a super long ascent versus 50+ times up (and down) a shorter super steep climb.  I could see budgeting 15-20 hours (and struggling immensely).

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Makes one wonder what "normal" folks could do it at.  I definitely would prefer four times up a super long ascent versus 50+ times up (and down) a shorter super steep climb.  I could see budgeting 15-20 hours (and struggling immensely).

I wonder too. I agree about preferring less laps. Not sure the steepest/longest grade I could sustain.

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

This is what I was thinking.  This is on my bucket list. Not everesting, just one & done :D

Could do one ride up and down, take a day or two to relax, hang at the beach, visit the lava flows, drink some pina coladas, and then do one more ride up, down, and up a wee bit more to hit the total.  Sure, no "record", but an Everesting with a bit of resting in the middle is still sort of legit!

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Could do one ride up and down, take a day or two to relax, hang at the beach, visit the lava flows, drink some pina coladas, and then do one more ride up, down, and up a wee bit more to hit the total.  Sure, no "record", but an Everesting with a bit of resting in the middle is still sort of legit!

this sounds like a great plan

2 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

this sounds like a great plan

And you would need company :whistle: so maybe the Cafe could vote for a Hawaii 2021 meet-up and Everesting event?  With @MickinMD's lottery winnings? Maybe even entice @Wilbur to come out of retirement and pick us all up for a flight to the Big Island?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

And you would need company :whistle: so maybe the Cafe could vote for a Hawaii 2021 meet-up and Everesting event?  With @MickinMD's lottery winnings? Maybe even entice @Wilbur to come out of retirement and pick us all up for a flight to the Big Island?

absolutely need company :)   this works