Some words that all Americans should read and reflect on today.

jsharr

We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

I’m not sure how this will play out, but I don’t see a country where people are interested in making peace. I’m afraid the better angels have left the battlefield. 

42 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I’m not sure how this will play out, but I don’t see a country where people are interested in making peace. I’m afraid the better angels have left the battlefield. 

Honestly, if I look around - while walking, riding, hiking, shopping, etc.. - I just see "normal" folks just wanting to lead normal lives.  Then there are the whackadoos who think there is some reason to destroy the greatest nation on Earth for some contrived and usually quite convoluted reason.  The sane and/or normal folks outnumber the whackadoos greatly.  I gotta hope that my experience is similar to the rest of the folks here.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Honestly, if I look around - while walking, riding, hiking, shopping, etc.. - I just see "normal" folks just wanting to lead normal lives.  Then there are the whackadoos who think there is some reason to destroy the greatest nation on Earth for some contrived and usually quite convoluted reason.  The sane and/or normal folks outnumber the whackadoos greatly.  I gotta hope that my experience is similar to the rest of the folks here.

So I almost never go on bookface, but I have a die-hard trumper ex-coworker that I always got along really well with (I really only talked with him back before the last administration when we went our separate ways).  He always did look like a skinhead steroid user with huge tattoos and such, but he was mostly nice and even-tempered, never said racist or ridiculous stuff.  He really went nuts, I had to stop even checking in on him before I stopped going to bookface because of it, though, exact one to one correlation with the outgoing administration;s arrival.  I checked on him today because I wanted to see if there was some rationalization or acknowledgement that it was over, but nope, not happening.  Every post a conniption about the radicals that stole the election, blah, blah, blah, antifa was behind the riots on the capitol, etc, etc.

Anyway, among the people that I know, the few like that stand out because they are out of their minds.   You can have weird views that differ substantially, but when you deny reality, that ain't good.  It is freaky that there are still probably 50 million unhinged people out there that think that way, even after the capitol stuff.

“The common and continual mischief's of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and the duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it. It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which find a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passion.”

― George Washington, Washington's farewell address: delivered to Congress on September 19, 1796

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, donkpow said:

While restraint is admirable, imposing restraint is not. Gathering the wherewithal and force to meet challenges is common enough, but those that lead us to those challenges are often acting in their own service.

-donkpow, farting around, 1/21/2021

Ctrl C Ctrl V   - jsharr 1/21/2021

• Haha 1