More than an oil change.

maddmaxx

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Mice destroyed the engine air filter and cabin air filter and left the air box full of nuts and crap.

Our motorhome is so packed full of mothballs, Irish spring and bounce dryer sheets in every nook and cranny that the few first trip it stinks. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Mice destroyed the engine air filter and cabin air filter and left the air box full of nuts and crap.

In a car that is regularly used?  Wow!

Since I am down to a single oil change per year, I can "justify" a cabin air filter change as well (usually buy a few at a time), but rarely change my engine air filter that often (one to one with an oil change). 

4 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Our motorhome is so packed full of mothballs, Irish spring and bounce dryer sheets in every nook and cranny that the few first trip it stinks. 

I opened the glove box this morning and found a mouse turd in the middle of one of my dryer sheets.  I guess that was an opinion,

The design of the IM is superior to the IQ however as they don't seem to be able to damage the fan or the fan controller.  That happened twice in 5 years in the IQ and involved the disassembly of the dash panel around the steering column to access.

Both filters were just one year old.

The joys of living in the woods.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

A buddy of mine has a Mini. Mice chewed up the wiring so bad that he had to get new wiring harnesses for under the hood. He found a stray cat that now lives in his garage.

Unfortunately I don't have a garage.  What was the carport attached to the house was turned into the sunporch.  I kinda maybe would probably like a garage.

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Unfortunately I don't have a garage.  What was the carport attached to the house was turned into the sunporch.  I kinda maybe would probably like a garage.

Yeah...  back in 2018 I found a dead mouse and a nest in the cabin filter / airbox in my 2016 Prius.  It was always parked outside at my old home.  I tried to keep the outside air vent closed when I parked the car, but I would forget...  And I'm not sure that helped.   Cleaning that mess out sucked.  (pun intended) I purchased some tubing for my shop vac that was small enough to snake thru into the airbox, etc... and I had to take apart some of the airbox to gain access to all of the mess.

The car is now in a garage.  So far, no mice problems with the cars.  We are in the woods too.

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Since I am down to a single oil change per year,

That's where I'm at now. My driving in 2020 was down 55% compared to 2019.   I never needed oil changed for time (rather than miles) until now.

Monday I'll get the Prius done.  The air filter, and cabin filter are OK.  I checked them yesterday.

Next up, the Subaru...    And when it quits snowing, WoBG's Honda. 

I used to change the oil once a month when I worked.  I drove a lot when I worked.   That's why my car is a Prius.

• Heart 1

Modern wire insulation has some kind of soy extract in it that rodents find delicious. A guy from work had a lot of wiring in a Silverado stripped by a woodchuck. The mechanic at the Chevy dealership told him it was becoming fairly common. This was a few years back, I don't know if any thing has changed in the wire insulation formulation to lessen the appeal to rodents.

https://fixautousa.com/blog/stop-rodents-from-chewing-car-wires/

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Further said:

Modern wire insulation has some kind of soy extract in it that rodents find delicious. A guy from work had a lot of wiring in a Silverado stripped by a woodchuck. The mechanic at the Chevy dealership told him it was becoming fairly common. This was a few years back, I don't know if any thing has changed in the wire insulation formulation to lessen the appeal to rodents.

That's how they got the coil wire on my yard tractor.   Peanut oil was what the Deere people told me.  Keep dryer sheets and mothballs around your stuff if you have mice.

1 hour ago, Further said:

Honda sells a product that you spray on the wiring to repel the mice.

• Awesome 1