How we act with and without the protection afforded by the anonymity of the internet

jsharr

My brother's dog Jake almost never barks at other dogs - we pass at least 10 each time we go for a 2-mile or more trail walk.

On occasion, a little dog will bark at him and 100 lb, Golden Doodle Jake will stop and give it a look like, "Are you kidding me?" and then go one his merry way without giving the little bastard another thought.

There's a big, white English Bulldog-mix named "Winnie" that two women walk on the BWI Airport Bike Trail and he and Jake used to growl at each other a little but now they rub noses and wag their tails when they meet once a week or so.

When we had Nikita, our malamute/German Shepherd/wolf mix, she was generally pretty laid back. Only 1 time did I ever see her angry at a stranger. This guy was walking up our driveway and she was ready to remove his arm from his body. I held her back, but made it very clear he should move on. 
New neighbors moved in. They had a little terrier mix named Bucky. We were in the back yard one afternoon. Nikita was lying in the shade. Bucky started barking at her. We cautioned Nikita to stay calm and she did. Bucky kept taking a few steps closer and would bark, take a few steps, bark. When he got close to the fence, Nikita calmly stood up. Bucky ran back to their porch, would peek around the corner with muted ruffs. Nikita watched for a couple minutes and walked away. They eventually became friends through the fence as did our next dog, Pouncer after Nikita passed.