Hybrid Bike Rec's Sought

MickinMD

I've been looking at reviews and visited a bike shop today that recommended the Trek FX 3 Disc ($850) for what I want to do with the bike and for the big upgrade in component quality and lighter weight over FX 1 and 2.

Seeing the warnings here about bikes being hard to get these days, I'm thinking I should get or order one soon, even though I wasn't expecting to ride until April or later in the Spring.  I'm looking for a hybrid (aka fitness) bike, the straight bar being easier on my back than road-bike drop bars, lighter and a little faster than the 32 lb mountain bike I previously had which had good components and disc brakes on which I averaged 11 mph, including stops while crossing roads, on a hilly course (complete 10.6 mile loop in less than an hour). If I decide to join a slow Saturday ride group, I'm sure I can keep up the 13-15 mph they usually ask for with a hybrid bike. That 10.6 mile loop (the BWI Airport Bike Trail) would be the typical hilly ride, not expecting to do anything longer than and occasional 25 miles unless I decide to do a half-century event, etc. at some point for fun.

I have no personal experience the various brands and quality-levels of bikes.  When I look at reviews for "best hybrid (or fitness) bikes under $1000 for 2021,"  one will say Coop Cycles CTY 1.2 or Cannondale Bad Boy 3, another will say the Trek FX 1 for $570 (4 lb heavier and cheaper components than FX 3 at $850 which isn't mentioned) is better than both of them, another will say Sirrius and Schwinn, etc. etc. etc.

They all have insights like this piece of shit: "This bike consists of a drive train at its core that gives the rider the right to change gears for every position, place, and environment."

I expect to ride 2-3 days/week for exercise.  I'll be riding almost exclusively on paved surfaces.  I'll be popping off the quick-release front wheel and wrapping the fork in a rubber mat so I can stand the bike up behind the front seat in my Honda Fit when transporting it.

A couple years ago, a local bike shop now closed recommended a Trek FX 3 disc as a less-than-$1000 bike that fit all I wanted to do with it and had quality components.

I stopped at the closest LSB to me today and got the same recommendation. Their price is the list $850. I looked one over today but didn't take it for a ride (I think my helmet is buried in my car or my apartment - It and my tool bag were in my car when the house fire occurred). The only things much different to me were schrader tire valves and no granny gear, though I hadn't used it in years on my mountain bike and the biggest rear gear is big enough to compensate for no granny gear if I hit a steep hill.  They have 5 FX 3 disc-brakes bikes (the said almost all bikes will soon be coming out in disc-only models) in stock now, with get 2 more in June and 2 more in August.

The only potential problem is it's listed max total weight is 300 lbs and me (278) plus bike (26) is 304 lb.  Add a rear rack, tool bag, Garmin Edge, rear view mirror (I'm slow enough to need one to see those approaching me), water bottle, bicycle pump, and outfit and we're around 315 lb.  I'm probably ok there - I'm sure they've built a good margin of safety into their limit and exactly 300 lbs is surely arbitrary, but there's an incentive to lose another 10 lbs (I've lost 10 since wearing the Freestyle Libre blood sugar monitor 3 months ago),

2033822790_TrekFX-3Disc849.992021.1_22.thumb.JPG.f9d8259a4059937a083a2200b476b9a6.JPG

A Trek FX is a "no brainer" and will more than meet anyone's needs in the hybrid/recreational area.  Just pick the one at your price point and you're fine.  I'd like to think that is true for Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Felt, etc.  as those folks are making straightforward bikes with almost the same specs at the same price points.

I'd basically get the bike with the best mix for the same price.   Weight limit wise, I'd say that's 1) lawyer talk, and 2) gonna be wheel "limited", and you can probably avoid issues simply by caring for the wheels periodically - checking for true, keeping the tension correct, etc..

• Heart 1

WoKzoo has an entry level Giant that is about 4 years old.  I don't remember the model number.  She doesn't ride a lot but she enjoys it when she does.  I looks like a quality build for entry level.  I have no issue with her going out on the roads for a 10 or 15 mile ride like she likes to do.  When shopping 4 years ago I also looked at the Trek FX1 and the Cannondale entry level model.  I think the only reason I went with the Giant was because Daughter#2 has a Giant and if there was any trouble with what I bought her she couldn't complain about me buying the wrong brand - It's the same as Renee's.

• Heart 1

Get it now if you can. The Trek FX bikes are very nice as are the Specialized equivalent. Honestly, if you spending $850 with any major brand, the difference is minimal. There are no magic bullets. The key is a good fit.

The segment that sold out the fastest last year was entry level bikes. The hybrid fits that bill and these bikes will go fast. 

It's a good choice.  It looks a lot like the last bike I built for myself with a couple of differences.  I have Shimano Wh05 wheels, Avid BB7 road discs and a compact double 16 gear drivetrain.  Building it myself would probably have run about that same price if I had to buy all the parts.  It fit my older body well and still rides pretty fast.

32 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The only things much different to me were schrader tire valves and no granny gear, though I hadn't used it in years on my mountain bike and the biggest rear gear is big enough to compensate for no granny gear if I hit a steep hill. 

Both very easy to get past.

For one, most floor pumps are presta and shrader compliant, so just make sure that's what you have.

For the other, the gear combinations, like you note, make a triple unnecessary these days.  The old 48/38/28 hybrid/MTB sort of triple, is replicated more efficiently by a double with a 46/30, since there are more cogs on the cassette and those cogs are likely to be the same or even easier than the old easiest option you had.

Your granny gear is there! It is just part of the double's gear options.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Both very easy to get past.

For one, most floor pumps are presta and shrader compliant, so just make sure that's what you have.

For the other, the gear combinations, like you note, make a triple unnecessary these days.  The old 48/38/28 hybrid/MTB sort of triple, is replicated more efficiently by a double with a 46/30, since there are more cogs on the cassette and those cogs are likely to be the same or even easier than the old easiest option you had.

Your granny gear is there! It is just part of the double's gear options.

You can also get those little valve adapters so you fill your presta tubes at a gas station.

14 minutes ago, dennis said:

Get it now if you can. The Trek FX bikes are very nice as are the Specialized equivalent. Honestly, if you spending $850 with any major brand, the difference is minimal. There are no magic bullets. The key is a good fit.

This ^^^

The FX3 is what I recommend to people looking for a good hybrid. For what you get for your money it’s a better value than the less expensive Fx1 and 2. The FX3 has a carbon fork and vibration dampening hand grips with larger palm support area. 2 by 9 drivetrain with a wide range cassette that, like @Razors Edgementioned, gives the same gear ratios you’d see on a granny gear. Lifetime warranty on the frame, one year on components. Don’t buy the extended warranty it’s a waste of money for you. The quick release is gone. They use thru axles now. Stiffer and more secure. 

5 hours ago, dennis said:

Wait, What? You already made a decision? A bike purchase lands somewhere between a car, range, and tv. I think you still need a month or two to mull it over. 

I really would wait, but in a month or two I might be told I have to wait three more months before one is available. They got the bike I want with the XL frame I need for my height and legs.  They can't get any more until June, when they will get two and then two more in August and November!  And this is THE top bike shop on the 20+ mile main business highway between Baltimore and Annapolis.

• Awesome 2

7 hours ago, MickinMD said:

am picking up a red XL Trek FX 3 Disc tomorrow!

The red bike would be faster then the black bike.  

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The only potential problem is it's listed max total weight is 300 lbs and me (278)

I was about 280 when I stated to ride (after 20 years of not riding) back in 2003.   Now I'm about 228.  Still about 20 pounds too much.   But I'm a LOT healthier now than I was in 2003. 

My road bike is still alive and well.  OK... except for replacing the wheels twice.  The last time my rear wheel is now a 32 spoke Open Pro Mavic, the front wheel is still a lower spoke count wheel.  The FX3 has 32 spokes in the wheels.  I'd say you should be OK for a long time.  Just keep enough air in the tires to prevent pinch flats.

Enjoy the new bike.... 

• Heart 1