How many changes do you have?

Razors Edge

...to make after you do exactly what the boss asked for in a presentation?

Boss: "I want X, Y, and Z, and I want to show that A, B, & C are completed"

Me: "Here's the presentation including X, Y, and Z, and showing that A, B, & C are completed."

Boss: "Where's the L, M, & O? And why isn't F, G, & H in there? I need that ASAP"

Me: "OMG! WTF?"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

My boss is kinda type A. I can often sit back, and she’ll do my job for me. Just have to make sure I don’t go to the well too often. 

In the very rare occasion I have to kill someone with PowerPoint I do exactly that. He is aboot 5000 times better at PowerPoint than me so it is much more efficient that way!

Hmmm...it's been a long time I've had to do a Powerpoint presentation for a boss.  My previous boss was too wordy on slides.  It just goes against my morals!

My current boss does her own slide presentation...she presents to 45+ people every 2 months.  She does have 5 staff reporting to her.  However she figures she gets to word stuff her way and change stuff if struck by creative Muse in words.  Good for her.  I like that.

Next time ask him to mark up a copy of the presentation with you so you can make sure you 'get it right.'

Then, when he wants even more changes, bring latest revised presentation in and the copy marked up in his own writing.  But don't open up or discuss the marked up copy; just let him see that you still have it, and then let him mark up the latest revision.

You might not get rid of all the multiple revisions but you might eventually train him to leave out most of the stupid, petty ones.

What I hate is when it's agreed you're going to do a certain task and, after you complete, you're informed that a version someone else had previously done was going to be used instead of the one you were told to do.

Principal: "So we're all agreed. Liz and Mickey are going to write the new Nutrition Science curriculum and Mickey is going to a adapt 30 labs given to us by Penn State to work at the high school level, using chemicals allowed in high school, and in high school class-time periods and put in a purchase order for the chemicals and materials needed.

Mickey two months later: "I finished adapting all 30 Penn State labs."

Principal: "Oh. We found a bunch of labs already done for the high school level by the National Institutes of Health. Let's use those."

Mickey: "Hell no!  After I went through all this shit, we're using the goddamned Penn State labs."

Throughout the mid-Atlantic States, that curriculum is still in use at many schools - Liz and I were sent out to conferences, etc. and taught teachers (wanting to save their jobs after No Child Left Behind wiped out Home Ec in a lot of schools) from all over several states how to do the class.  They use Penn State labs!

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

..to make after you do exactly what the boss asked for in a presentation?

Boss: "I want X, Y, and Z, and I want to show that A, B, & C are completed"

Me: "Here's the presentation including X, Y, and Z, and showing that A, B, & C are completed."

Boss: "Where's the L, M, & O? And why isn't F, G, & H in there? I need that ASAP"

Me: "OMG! WTF?"

I am sooooo glad I'm retired.   I hated that BS.  

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Next time ask him to mark up a copy of the presentation with you so you can make sure you 'get it right.'

Then, when he wants even more changes, bring latest revised presentation in and the copy marked up in his own writing.  But don't open up or discuss the marked up copy; just let him see that you still have it, and then let him mark up the latest revision.

You might not get rid of all the multiple revisions but you might eventually train him to leave out most of the stupid, petty ones.

It was a long time ago thankfully, but I I think I used to do something like make the corrections on the markup so there was no room left for red ink. 

I thankfully only encountered one or two of those idiots in my 40+ years of working. 

6 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

When my guys screw up and give me exactky what I asked for, I tell them to do it right and that they need to "Listen to what I mean, not what I say"

:D I need to find the swing cartoon - brb!  This is a very good version of it. :)  The pillow and $0.00 price tag are nice touches.

tree-swing.png

• Heart 2

18 hours ago, BuffJim said:

My boss is kinda type A. I can often sit back, and she’ll do my job for me. Just have to make sure I don’t go to the well too often. 

Just realized BuffCarla is like that at home. With cleaning, she takes the vacuum or sponge or cloth from me and tell me I’m not doing it right. So I’m banished to the couch until the cleaning 🧹 🧽  is done. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

Just realized BuffCarla is like that at home. With cleaning, she takes the vacuum or sponge or cloth from me and tell me I’m not doing it right. So I’m banished to the couch until the cleaning 🧹 🧽  is done. 

I can sort'a relate.