Cabinetry Question

goldendesign

We want to build a built-in desk system for the office.

Kinda like this: image.png.a3c34498f7387bbfd81db90638378270.png

But no bookcases or upper cabinets. Just a long butcher block top and cabinets under.

We've talked with a few contractors and the prices have been crazy. I'm not spending 10k on a fucking desk. The "issue" is desk heights are anywhere from 29-31" everyone wants to use kitchen cabinets which put the cabinets at 34.5" and add 2" for counter makes for a super high desk. 

I finally talked with a finish carpenter who found RTA cabinets from a company that puts it somewhat more reasonable: 2700 for materials and about $700 to install. He thinks that's still to expensive for an office and suggested we do standard cabinets from Home Depot, cut the 4" toe kick off the bottom, and go with a "thin" butcher block board. He quoted the whole job from Home Depot supplies for around $1500

This sounds much more reasonable. But my question is: Can we cut that bottom part off the cabinets? Will it look like shit? Do I double the price for custom and just suck it up? Is there a happy medium somewhere?

Room is 11'4" and we want mind a double door cabinet and a three drawer on each side.

You should be able to cut the cabinets down, just not all the way or the doors will have trouble opening.  And leveling would be tricky

They are just L shaped on the side, back goes top to bottom, facing is all above the toe kick.  Leave enough so that the cleats that fix the bottom and sides together don't get cut off

You could just buy doors and make your own facing and shelves.

• Heart 1

I would just get a flat top and some legs and call it good.  I get pissed off when you sit at a desk and can't swivel because some dumbshit or other packed all available space with file cabinets.  You have to consider actual real use of this as you plan it, and nobody seems to have the first clue about that. 

The one in your picture has nowhere near enough room.  If you must have cabinets, it would be best to get rid of the two closest cabinets to your legs.

We saw lots of desk height kitchen cabinets when we built the house.  I did nto want a desk in my kitchen but you can get them for your use.  Call around to a few kitchen designers and see what they say.  I do think it will be more expensive than your low bid.

4 hours ago, goldendesign said:

He quoted the whole job from Home Depot supplies for around $1500

That's not a bad price.  The low end cabinets from Home Depot have fiberboard structure behind the wood front frames.  Your setup won't get the use kitchen cabinets would, and they should hold up, but it's good to know what you're getting anyway.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd suggest browsing around any places that have recycled home materials that may be near you, such as Habitat for Humanity or a building materials salvage place.  You might pick up sturdier materials for less money that have more character.

• Heart 2

Don't forget about planning for the wires. 

At a minimum, power for everything you need, and a way to plug them in to the outlet. 

If you plan on a computer, at a minimum you may have 1 or 2 monitors, and the HDMI (or what ever you need) cables to be installed.   LAN wires (or wireless), etc.... 

• Heart 1