I think you should tell us something we don't know about you

Randomguy

On 1/22/2021 at 6:57 PM, shootingstar said:

What is it with parents who ask for total financial situation...  If I've already told her the mortgage is paid off, am employed, not starving..then no point worrying. I just make super vague comment..and say don't worry. 

My mother used to worry needlessly about her 3 children's finances and was an irrational pain about it - until her brother John died.

When my mother's childless brother died, he left money to his 8 siblings based on how many children they had because he figured the money would eventually be passed on to his 20 nieces and nephews - about $15,000 for each one of us 20 - unless his siblings needed it.

A lot of my cousins actually argued with their parents to give them the money because it was meant for them - which wasn't quite true.

My mother got 3 x $15K plus about $10K more because she was co-executor of the will.

My sister, brother, and I told her not to worry about saving it for us because we were all financially comfortable, had good-paying jobs, etc.

Mom was surprised we didn't need or want any of it. She never worried about our finances after that - she lived another dozen years or so.

I think she blew half of it on QVC and Home Shopping Network but that was ok: she was enjoying retirement - we, her kids, paid for her when we took her on Cruises, etc. with us.

• Heart 3

On 1/23/2021 at 9:54 AM, Kzoo said:

I have a brother in law that eats like that.  I don't think it's OCD in his case.  It's just the way he eats.  He has other strange eating habits.  One is he eats all of the apple.  When nothing but the core and stem are left of the apple he eats the core.  When done with the core, he eats the stem.

When I worked for Westinghouse I was a core builder for awhile. Making cores for inside transformers.  When the core winders would screw up it made it almost impossible to build a good core. Guys were always sneaking bad cores into the scrap box and hiding them under loose scrap. The foreman would sometimes root around in the scrap box looking for scrapped cores. If he found any he would rip everyone a new butthole.

One day during break one of the guys was eating an apple. He ate the whole thing including the core. Someone asked he why he eats the core. He said we were not allowed to throw away cores. It was funny at the time.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2