Shepard’s pie for dinner

Forum Administrator

I LOVE Shepherd's Pie!  When I make it, I make sure I have some disposable 9 x 13 aluminum lasagna pans and make 1 or 2 extra ones for the freezer and one each for my sibling's families.

I found this recipe with an easy, superb sauce, a decade or more ago and have been basically following it, using ground beef, ever since. I usually use Idahoan instant mashed potatoes and make them slightly on the thin side so I can spread them over the top easier.

https://www.food.com/recipe/traditional-irish-shepherds-pie-302120

The author is a part-time caterer in Ireland and she writes:

“Posting this per a request. I've said it once and I'll say it again there is nothing Irish about Corned Beef and Cabbage, but Shepherd's Pie has always been and still is a staple of traditional Irish cooking. This is a really easy, but tasty recipe that the whole family will enjoy. It's nutritionally sound with all the major food groups represented. The British use lamb in their Shepherd's Pie, but we've always used beef. Do whatever you prefer or even try turkey if you're watching fat content. This sauce is lovely and rich and should go well with any meat. You can use fresh or leftover mashed potato. I usually use 3 tbsp of ketchup instead of the 2tbsp of tomato paste as I like the hint of sweetness, but traditionally the paste would be more sound! You can also make individual pies which are always a hit with the kids. This freezes beautifully too, so make two and save one! Just let it defrost and glaze with the egg and pop into the oven as directed. Enjoy! :)”

• Heart 1