Sprung the garage door spring

Kzoo

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a double door, one side broke, they came out next day, replaced both sides for a few hundred.  I'm crazy, and will try most anything, not that.

This was a single insulated door.  I’ve done a couple of these before.  Using the proper winding bars and making sure one is engaged before the other is removed is recommended.  And doing it off to the side in case something let’s go.  Actually pretty easy peasy.

• Heart 1

I replaced the regular springs at my old home at least 3 times over the 35 years we lived there.  They ALLWAYS broke in the winter.

My new home has torsion springs. I'll call the guy....  I've seen the videos, and I probably could do the repair if I went out and purchased the winding bars.  I don't want to find out what could go wrong.

Our old garage door had springs on both sides, and I was coming in one time and heard one break.  I found the top of the spring (connector curl) all the way across the garage.  Unlike you, I just grabbed a sturdy locking ring and used that for the next ten years as the connection between the spring and the attachment point.  Did the same a few years later when the other spring broke.  A couple bucks in parts that lasted until I finally replaced the door and opener altogether a couple years ago.

$1.79 at homedepot:

image.png.33bbc9543fe6ac61efae47b7c1048acf.png

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Our old garage door had springs on both sides, and I was coming in one time and heard one break.  I found the top of the spring (connector curl) all the way across the garage.  Unlike you, I just grabbed a sturdy locking ring and used that for the next ten years as the connection between the spring and the attachment point.  Did the same a few years later when the other spring broke.  A couple bucks in parts that lasted until I finally replaced the door and opener altogether a couple years ago.

$1.79 at homedepot:

image.png.33bbc9543fe6ac61efae47b7c1048acf.png

I have "fixed" torsion springs with cable clamps. They last as long as they have to until a new spring can arrive.

886780010183.jpg?vkey=EjDWiTGj49C8JDrPksmgxZ4MUTMyxPZHcpQmPV%2BJsug=

I've been present when both types of springs have busted as well as snapped lifting cables (same thing). It is definitely startling.