Protein Powder?

petitepedal

IMO, you're far better off getting your nutrients from whole foods.

That said, if you can't get enough protein in your diet for some reason (absorption issues, vegan and no time to plan properly, etc), they have a place.  I don't know of of one that doesn't taste like crap though.  But the only one's I've used have been whey proteins.   As for a protein powder with fiber?  I've never seen one.  But you could add proten and a separate fiber to your smoothies.

For vanilla whey, I like Optimum Nutrition's vanilla ice cream flavor. I like to mix it with Gatorade for a post workout drink, and it works well (taste). This is a very good quality protein powder. I really like their casein too. (chocolate cake batter or blueberry)

I'm thinking if you are making a smoothie, it probably has a lot of fruit or veggies for your fiber?? Otherwise, you'll have to add something else for fiber.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

I suggest you get some protein by harvesting some of the geese that make messes in the places where you like to walk. You'd get your protein and would see fewer deposits in your path.

You could say you'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Would also provide some essential oils...

I suggest you get some protein by harvesting some of the geese that make messes in the places where you like to walk.  You'd get your protein and would see fewer deposits in your path.

You could say you'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Quite tasty with a cranberry/orange glaze. And sweet potatos.

We put EAS vanilla whey into our morning smoothie.  We eat at 5:30 am (after weight training for half an hour) and then I eat again at noon, 7 hours later.  If you're going to add those "extra calories" into one meal, you could simply subtract them from one of the others.  Go without a mid-morning snack, skip the starch portion at dinner, or drink less wine overall for the week. 

in a recovery drink a 4:1 carb to protein ratio gives the best insulin response

using a powder helps you add protein in a way that is easier to get into your blood stream than meat.

I use it so I don't have to eat so much meat (remember that I lift weights, so that different than just normal activity)

use a whey protein. Whey protein is converted to muscle at a higher ratio than soy protein, so find a whey protein

don't worry about finding one with fiber, there aren't any (not any that I've ever used)

just add some wheat germ or even wheat bran or some other fiber source to the smoothie

you want to actually work out the quantities so you get the right ratio of 4:1 carbs to protien

I will say that you don't really have to look too far for a protein powder that doesn't suck.  Years ago, I drank a bunch, then stopped lifting (so I stopped drinking the powder), then let a bunch of years go by, then decided to up the protein again.  I got a bottle of whatever at GNC, and it was way better than it was years ago.  When that was consumed, I went to Costco and got theirs, knowing that I could take it back if it sucked.  Nope, good tasting, mixed easily with milk.

My take on it is that even the suckiest protein powder now is better than the best protein powder 15 years ago, and that you should probably just go to Costco or Amazon and buy something reasonably priced.

My take on it is that even the suckiest protein powder now is better than the best protein powder 15 years ago, and that you should probably just go to Costco or Amazon and buy something reasonably priced.

I agree with that, too. Get something that's reasonably priced. There's no "secret ingredient"  in the expensive stuff

So I am thinking about adding a protein powder to smoothies...it was suggested to get one with a bit of fiber in it....anyone have any suggestions...and something that doesn't taste ghastly :nod head:   :dontknow:

I'm reluctant to go to any supplements since I'd rather get the nutrients from food. Before trying a protein powder, I'd suggest finding a bit more information. What's the reason behind using the power? Is this something you're hearing from a doctor or a nutritionist or a certified coach or fitness instructor? In other words, does the person making the recommendation have credibility?

As far as finding a protein powder with fibre, I don't see the point. If you're eating adequate fruits and vegetables, you'll have plenty of fibre in your diet. It's not all that hard finding foods with a lot of fibre. 

you people realize that when you get past age 50 you start to metabolize your muscle mass, right? That means you literally piss away your muscles

if petite wants to try a whey protein in her smoothies, she's got a good reason to want to do that

I'm just saying this because I actually do know a lot about this stuff and there is a lot of misinformation on this thread, beginning with the implication that everyone has the same dietary needs

When you get past age 50, you lose muscle mass at a faster rate than younger people, so supplementing protein if you are active is not a bad idea

Here is why it might be better than "getting it from food"...

•  the powder is already broken down and ready to be absorbed by your blood so it hits your bloodstream faster
  • protein in a recovery drink increases the insulin response which increases glycogen replacement in your muscles. You cannot do this with meat because it takes too long to break down and get to your blood
  • you can increase your protein intake without having to eat more meat (the obvious). In fact, you can eat fewer calories, fewer fats and fewer carbohydrates by using a supplement to add 1 40g serving of protein to your diet

If you want to learn about this, try reading Ed Burke's book on optimal recovery as referenced by Coach Friel and many others

http://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Muscle-Performance-Recovery-Revolutionary/dp/1583331468/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

you people realize that when you get past age 50 you start to metabolize your muscle mass, right? That means you literally piss away your muscles

if petite wants to try a whey protein in her smoothies, she's got a good reason to want to do that

I'm just saying this because I actually do know a lot about this stuff and there is a lot of misinformation on this thread, beginning with the implication that everyone has the same dietary needs

When you get past age 50, you lose muscle mass at a faster rate than younger people, so supplementing protein if you are active is not a bad idea

•  the powder is already broken down and ready to be absorbed by your blood so it hits your bloodstream faster
  • protein in a recovery drink increases the insulin response which increases glycogen replacement in your muscles. You cannot do this with meat because it takes too long to break down and get to your blood
  • you can increase your protein intake without having to eat more meat (the obvious). In fact, you can eat fewer calories, fewer fats and fewer carbohydrates by using a supplement to add 1 40g serving of protein to your diet

If you want to learn about this, try reading Ed Burke's book on optimal recovery as referenced by Coach Friel and many others

http://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Muscle-Performance-Recovery-Revolutionary/dp/1583331468/ref=dp_ob_image_bk

Try age 25.... the hormonal footprint starts to shift towards a more catabolic state as your free T levels drop.

Try age 25....

hey, but after 50 you put one foot on the rail and the other foot on a banana peel

but its a good point that our bodies change as we go through life. I was warned by all the old guys I knew that the biggest drop off in athletic ability was going to be between 45 and 50. Damn were they right

Can you personally vouch for this book as being "good"?  I will get it if you think it has value and good information.

Can you personally vouch for this book as being "good"?  I will get it if you think it has value and good information.

I've bought it twice, given it as gifts to semi pro athletes, lent it to junior hockey players, and used it myself.

Joe Friel  cites it many times in his Training Bible. Ed Burke worked with the US Olympic team, too