Do you think DH is intimidating and scary?

jsharr
Go to solution Solved by Kirby,

• Solution

No, I find her exceedingly kind and caring. and Impressive in her commitment to the things and causes that matter to her.  I might be "scared" if I was competing with her, because I expect she'd beat me in almost any competition, but I think she is a wonderful friend to have in your corner.

• Heart 4

14 minutes ago, Kirby said:

No, I find her exceedingly kind and caring. and Impressive in her commitment to the things and causes that matter to her.  I might be "scared" if I was competing with her, because I expect she'd beat me in almost any competition, but I think she is a wonderful friend to have in your corner.

My race face can be very eville.  More eville than Ralph. @Philander Seabury

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Thank you.

I was very much concerned that I am not well received by some people.  I do know that I am direct and sugar coating is not something that I am good at.

I think there is a difference between being frank or direct and being a witch.  I never took any of your comments as mean spirited or spiteful.  Sometimes they are direct but that’s cool. 

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

He would be respected for being assertive and tough.  

When you are female, they assume you also ride a broom and can cast evil spells on people.

I struggle with this perspective and I hear it a lot from other women.  I’m not a woman so am not commenting on a females perspective but from my own.

Being assertive doesn’t mean you can be a jerk about it regardless of gender.  If you are direct and a jerk, it pisses people off.  If you are direct but not a jerk about it people will take to it better.  This really isn’t a gender issue as I see it.

I have seen some poor female managers fall back on their gender when people responded poorly to them when really they were just poor communicators & leaders.  I also worked with a Security Director with another firm on an industry National Meeting some years ago.  She is retired Army LT Colonel.   She is an effective communicator & I can’t ever see her using her gender as a reason why people wouldn’t follow her lead or do anything she directed them to do. She is a good communicator & leader first & foremost who also happens to be a female.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I have seen some poor female managers fall back on their gender when people responded poorly to them when really they were just poor communicators & leaders.  I also worked with a Security Director with another firm on an industry National Meeting some years ago.  She is retired Army LT Colonel.   She is an effective communicator & I can’t ever see her using her gender as a reason why people wouldn’t follow her lead or do anything she directed them to do. She is a good communicator & leader first & foremost who also happens to be a female.

Also might depend on the different group gender compositions  for woman and her group interaction.  

For any woman (or guy), she can never go wrong by being clear, calm yet appropriately reflective when needed and to get things done.  I can mean how to adjust communication style a shade different with a stated outcome/end result and desired completion date to different listeners.  Helps alot if enough notice given for recipient to get something done.  I've heard enough stories on the job, where a female manager after a meeting with external folks, indicated on certain things were not true/false/a lie and why it was untrue. And these were respected managers internally and known across multiple depts.  This is what happens more than what we might think, for a female manager with people who don't like them/don't respect them.

A guy I suspect wouldn't spend as much time/details telling others/mulling over  how they were lied to... would they? I think a guy would tend to be f*ck them (not say it out loud) and just carry on the next strategy to outwit the deceiving/disrespectful party.

I tend to be more blunt than I should be at times in certain work situations.  Enough said.