Making the bed

Airehead

Just now, Airehead said:

Do you make your bed each day?  Does someone else make it for you?  Or do you jut get into the rumpled covers?

I generally spread the comforter out flat after I get out of bed.  My wife is always up ahead of me, so I try to leave the bed looking "orderly" but definitely not "made".  The pillows are up at the top, the comforter and sheet below are relatively smooth and flattened out, and my pups throw blanket is spread on top so she can relax some part of the day on the bed.

• Heart 3

Yes, every day

"If you make your bed every morning you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter. If you can't do the little things right, you will never do the big things right."   Admiral William H. McRaven

https://jamesclear.com/great-speeches/make-your-bed-by-admiral-william-h-mcraven

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Bed-Little-Things/dp/1455570249

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

Do you make your bed each day?  Does someone else make it for you?  Or do you jut get into the rumpled covers?

sometimes.  I either make it in the AM or in the PM.  I do nto like getting in a rumpled bed.  Romeo prefers it when I leave it unmade, so he can find a good curl up and wait for my humans to come home spot.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I get up around 4:15 on any given day.  My wife gets up about 3 hours later.  If I tried to make the bed I may get shot.

BuffCarla once in a while  makes the bed while I’m in it. Not my favorite thing. 9 times out of 10, I’m up before her. 

She makes the bed about 5 times a week. I make the coffee most every day. 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I pull the covers back up and make the bed look presentable each morning. Jocelyn comes in my room each day because that’s where I keep the bedding, towels, and gowns for my wife. I don’t want the room looking too much like a train wreck.

I am going for the webbie award. :D

No bike tires or wheels, but everything else.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

well then wouldn't it be best to make it well?

Spot on! 

Although I do have to admit there were times when I thought I'd made that bed so very well, and climbed back in to find it so very uncomfortable.  And since the bed was entirely of my own making, I only could fault myself.  On the plus side, an uncomfortable bed provides the impetus to rise early and take another shot at making the bed better. 

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Airehead said:

well then wouldn't it be best to make it well?

Sort of a "ground rules" question here - what is a made bed?

See, if my bed is made, the fitted sheet is tight, the flat sheet is pulled up almost to the top, but folded over a little bit.  Then the regular pillows are laid flat across the top. The comforter comes next and covers the bed and pillows and then the big pillows go at the top.  For a final flourish, an accent pillow may be added and the pup's knit blanket gets draped artfully across the bottom area.

If that is "made", then no, that is NOT the bed I want to be laying on, and to lay in it, I have to deconstruct it!!  When I wake up, it is already in the perfect state for me to continue to or return to sleeping, relaxing, or - with an adjustment of bringing the big pillows back onto the bed - ready for reading.

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Yes, every day

"If you make your bed every morning you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that little things in life matter. If you can't do the little things right, you will never do the big things right."   Admiral William H. McRaven

That sounds like a  lot of work and is why I half-ass it when I make my bed.  If you can't half-ass the little things then you'll never be able to half-ass the big things.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

That sounds like a  lot of work and is why I half-ass it when I make my bed.  If you can't half-ass the little things then you'll never be able to half-ass the big things.

Waking up - alive - is the first task I accomplish everyday!  Likely, a trip to the bathroom to pee is another task I am prioritizing and accomplishing well before considering making the bed.

I think it's a dumb idea.  You're only going to mess it up again at night.  But at some point during my work at home stint, the chore became mine.  So I do it every day.  Because keeping the wife happy is a smart idea.  It often gets done about 5 minutes before she gets home from work.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I think it's a dumb idea.  You're only going to mess it up again at night.  But at some point during my work at home stint, the chore became mine.  So I do it every day.  Because keeping the wife happy is a smart idea.  It often gets done about 5 minutes before she gets home from work.

Here's an idea:

When she is pulling in the driveway, get up and run to the bedroom.  Plop down on the bed, under the covers, and when she finds you, hop up and get back to whatever you were doing.  She can't expect the bed to be made if you are still using it when she gets home, can she?  Since she's home, she can make it if it bothers her that it is unmade.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Here's an idea:

When she is pulling in the driveway, get up and run to the bedroom.  Plop down on the bed, under the covers, and when she finds you, hop up and get back to whatever you were doing.  She can't expect the bed to be made if you are still using it when she gets home, can she?  Since she's home, she can make it if it bothers her that it is unmade.

No way, not doing that again!  Not even at my own house this time!

• Heart 1