Winter

Further

I missed my chance to take a picture of frozen rain on the car roofs in our parking lot yesterday. I think that's only the 2nd time we've had ice/snow on cars this winter. It's heading to the mid 40's today and the frozen rain is gone.

We have had a very mild winter so far: we can have a winter with only a couple 3" snowfalls and some dustings or one with three 20" plus snows and  a dozen 6" to 12" storms.  So far, we haven't had any snow worth mentioning.

The temperatures have often been in the 40's or 50's though today is the first time in a week.

February can be a bitch and March can come in like a lion, though it always goes out like a lamb.

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Winter is not to be celebrated, only to be overcome after a period of hibernation and misery.

You sound a whole lot older than you are. Baa humbug, get off my lawn.

You need to spend more time sledding and tubing with RO. Build a snowman, make a fort, build an igloo. You could take her ice fishing. Make snow angels.

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

Winter is awesome. Winter haters need to quit whining and get after it.

Winter where it is supposed to be - ski areas - is truly spectacular and awesome!

Winter everywhere else? A tremendous YUCK.  Ice, slush, salted roads, windchill, etc., have no "upside".

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Winter where it is supposed to be - ski areas - is truly spectacular and awesome!

Winter everywhere else? A tremendous YUCK.  Ice, slush, salted roads, windchill, etc., have no "upside".

I did not grow up in a ski area but we had plenty of snow. Sledding, snowball fights, snow forts were all part of my youth. I wouldn't trade it for living somewhere without snow. Winter and snow are awesome. 

Kids who grow up here get to do winter sports in school. I rolled by a school today and the kids were Nordic skiing in the athletic field.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Ice, slush, salted roads, windchill, etc., have no "upside".

Agreed 100%  Everyone might look at the snow and think "postcard", but I look at the earth buried alive, and a time to be endured rather than lived.  I will take all of summer's heat, mosquitos, stank, humidity over winter's chill any time.

I do admire those that can fool themselves into thinking that winter is even tolerable or as some sort of magical wonderland, where zima flows from fountains and birds chirp and everybody is happy they have to continually put on 18 layers of clothes to do anything, but as a realist, I cannot.  Winter is doom and gloom and tomb, whereas summer is a season of possibility and limitless options.

Besides, it hasn't much snowed here at all, so it is just cold and huddling and waiting for the crap part of the year to end.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

I did not grow up in a ski area but we had plenty of snow. Sledding, snowball fights, snow forts were all part of my youth. I wouldn't trade it for living somewhere without snow. Winter and snow are awesome. 

Kids who grow up here get to do winter sports in school. I rolled by a school today and the kids were Nordic skiing in the athletic field.

Sure - if we're talking KIDS!!!!  I loved it as a kid - missing school, sleds, toboggans, flying saucers, snowball fights, snow forts, even shoveling the driveway or sidewalks (sometimes for $$$).  Honestly, none of that applies to me anymore except as a headache.  I LOVE to head to the mountains for the snow.  Let it snow all day and all night there, so that I can ski, sled, tube, relax THERE. 

If I lived in the mountains, I would likely welcome snow snow snow just as you do.  But where I and most people live, snow is usually a PITA.

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

I am working in the hills this week.  Not my normal winter where I need to mow my lawn

20210127_080203.jpg

IMG-20210127-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20210125-WA0010.jpg

You mow your own lawn? I’ve got a guy if you’re interested. Of course you’ll still have to mow it yourself but at least you get to say “I’ve got a guy”😁

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Agreed 100%  Everyone might look at the snow and think "postcard", but I look at the earth buried alive, and a time to be endured rather than lived.  I will take all of summer's heat, mosquitos, stank, humidity over winter's chill any time.

I do admire those that can fool themselves into thinking that winter is even tolerable or as some sort of magical wonderland, where zima flows from fountains and birds chirp and everybody is happy they have to continually put on 18 layers of clothes to do anything, but as a realist, I cannot.  Winter is doom and gloom and tomb, whereas summer is a season of possibility and limitless options.

Besides, it hasn't much snowed here at all, so it is just cold and huddling and waiting for the crap part of the year to end.

I skied last night. I wore a wool shirt and a light weight jacket for the uphill and threw on a puffy for the downhill. It was bliss. It was about 15F.

When you ski at night, you get the first tracks on the freshly groomed corduroy.

• Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

15F is never bliss for me, although corduroy scraping against corduroy is nice.

Btw, did you hear about the new corduroy pillows?  They are making headlines everywhere!

But, let's be real, skiing at a mountain resort like Jackson - with the right equipment and clothing choices - is AWESOME, correct??? I know I love it, and assume you do too.  I bet, if I offered you an all expense ski vacation at the Four Seasons in Jackson Hole with lift tickets and proper attire & equipment, you'd be all in with you and RO!

18 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But, let's be real, skiing at a mountain resort like Jackson - with the right equipment and clothing choices - is AWESOME, correct??? I know I love it, and assume you do too.  I bet, if I offered you an all expense ski vacation at the Four Seasons in Jackson Hole with lift tickets and proper attire & equipment, you'd be all in with you and RO!

I would take RO, she would like the skiing maybe and I would tough it out for her sake.  I would be much more into hot tubs and ski bunny perving and the vacation mindset. 

I have skied once, and enjoyed the skiing part.  Other than that, it was 90% misery and standing around or on the lift and shivering, 10% overwarm from the skiing.  I would think I would enjoy cross country skiing more, at least you can dress for a consistent temperature.