I just bought a walnut tree

Dirtyhip

We have several black walnut trees on our property.   Just recently we noticed the multitude of squirrels we had for the first 3 years seem to be gone.  Not sure why..   They have LOTS to eat here and I wish they would come back and do their job.

Now every other day I have filled a 5 gallon bucket (sometimes filled it twice) cleaning the hundreds of f'n walnuts out of the yard, and off of the concrete drive way.  The husk..  that stuff stains concrete.   We didn't have to pick up the walnuts in the prior years.  The squirrels must have decided they can work from home from their stash from the prior years.

When we are outside, I've been waiting for the day WoBG, the dogs, or I get hit by the walnuts when they fall out of the trees. You hear THUMP when they hit the ground.  I need to be sure when we park a car outside of the garage, to not be under a walnut tree.  The trees are tall and I'm sure that would be worse than hail hitting the car.

• Haha 1

I stopped to take pictures of the mushrooms along the trail yesterday and I rider I had talked to on the other side of the lake came by and we started talking again. While we were talking a nut fell from high up in a tree and landed square on top of my head bouncing off my helmet. There is more than one reason to wear your bike helmet when riding through the woods.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

While we were talking a nut fell from high up in a tree and landed square on top of my head bouncing off my helmet.

Yeah... I told WoBG, I need to find my (and her) hard hats from when we both worked.  The nuts sure hit the ground HARD. 

If our yard was a job site, it probably would be shutdown because of hazardous conditions. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Yeah... I told WoBG, I need to find my (and her) hard hats from when we both worked.  The nuts sure hit the ground HARD. 

If our yard was a job site, it probably would be shutdown because of hazardous conditions. 

Yesterday being a Holliday and beautiful weather there were lots of recreational riders on the trail. Most of them not wearing helmets. I’ll bet they would change their tune if they got nailed with a walnut on top of their head.