The Wynantskill (pics)

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

Hudson_zps0bd73c0d.jpg

From the Menands Bridge (Route 378), right?  On the Google I can see the S-curve of the trail on the west side, connecting to this.  Very cool.

Even though I grew up not far from there, and spent a lot of time in Troy, I'm not sure I ever saw any of these places, except for Burden Pond.  (Our property bordered on the Poesten Kill) 

Loved seeing your photos - thanks!

Your pictures and ride reports are beautiful. Have you ever thought about publishing them?

I've had several people suggest I publish a book about cycling and waterfalls.  But when you see the waterfall books already out there (particularly the ones by Schryver, Dunn, and Brown) those photos are so far above mine it's like night and day.  Perhaps a blog, but I have no idea how to set up such a thing.  For now I'm content to post my adventures on my favorite web sites, flattering myself with the thought it might create some small increase in traffic to benefit those who operate them. 

From the Menands Bridge (Route 378), right?  On the Google I can see the S-curve of the trail on the west side, connecting to this.  Very cool.

Even though I grew up not far from there, and spent a lot of time in Troy, I'm not sure I ever saw any of these places, except for Burden Pond.  (Our property bordered on the Poesten Kill) 

Loved seeing your photos - thanks!

That's the one!  I'd thought about stopping again at Ida Falls on the Poesten Kill but ran out of time.

Dang, TK! You gotta let me tag along for a ride with you some day. Great pics!

That would be great, provided you had plenty of patience!  The whole ride from start to finish was about 8 hours, and at least 3-1/2 hours of that was traipsing around trying to find the falls and then getting the shots.  Dragging the bike through the woods. Unless you happen to be a waterfalls crackpot :wacko:  you might find the whole thing rather boring.  On the other hand there's a whole lot in NY to see by bike where you don't have to go through all that trouble and you will still get a sense of wonder and fascination!

And lest I forget my manners, my thanks to all for the kind compliments!

• Heart 1

Are you kidding?! That sounds like great outing! Exploring is a big part of why I sold my motorcycle and switched to bicycles. I had a nifty Honda Shadow Ace, but I didn't get to see much of the scenery going 65 mph. I can see more while riding 15 mph and can get into more places with a bicycle.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Smudge, if you get the opportunity do ride with TK sometime. He's a strong cyclist, REALLY loves waterfalls, is a wealth of information and is courteous to a fault. But in all honesty, the single coolest thing about riding with him is his almost childlike enthusiasm and wonder at all he sees! I'm serious, it's endearing and totally infectious. If you ride with him you'll look at things with a sense if adventure and wonderment that will captivate your spirit.

TK, my friend, whom you met on that ride, and I still talk about how special it was watching you enjoy some of the things here we've taken for granted. It was totally refreshing and inspiring.

Peace.

TK - where is the bridge in the first photo?  And what body of water is that?

You were correct - that's the Rte 378 Menands Bridge across the Hudson...

Hmmmm...I wonder if I will see any waterfalls when I hit NYState on Sept 1

Here's some sites that might help you pick some you might want to see:

http://nyfalls.com/waterfalls/map/

http://www.nnywaterfalls.com/

http://digthefalls.com/category/new-york-state-waterfalls-locations/

All three have maps with waterfalls marked and the first two also list falls by county.

no, in my second post I meant the rusty old abandoned railroad bridge.

:facepalm:

It's on the Delaware Avenue Rail Trail between Green Island (which isn't an island) and Van Shaick Island (which actually is an island).  The bridge itself is locally known as the The Black Bridge.  It didn't look black to me but maybe it got the name because King Arthur defeated the Black Knight there.  The Mohawk River passes under the bridge to meet the Hudson.

• Heart 1

• 11 months later...