I finally did it

bikeman564™

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I told comcast to take a flying leap and canceled cable tv this morning :happyanim: price increase = goodby :P   I kept their internet, so I'm tv receptionless. I'll get a pair of rabbit ears. There is a few programs that I'll miss, but this move save me aboot $85 / month...and that's  real money.

Unspecified Sports Team Hoodie

• Haha 1

I put a full size antenna in my attic then pointed it towards St. Louis. I can get over 45 channels although about 15 of them are crap like QVC. I also have a DVR so that I can record OTA shows.

As far as streaming services, I have Amazon Prime, Discovery+, and CBS All Access which is becoming Paramount Plus.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I put a full size antenna in my attic then pointed it towards St. Louis. I can get over 45 channels although about 15 of them are crap like QVC. I also have a DVR so that I can record OTA shows.

As far as streaming services, I have Amazon Prime, Discovery+, and CBS All Access which is becoming Paramount Plus.

I'll be ok w/ OTA. I have no streaming services, and will not get them. I'm done paying for TV. I don't want to give back my $85 savings.

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

I wish I could convince my wife to do that.

It took a lot of self convincing over the years, but I'm happy w/ my decision.

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I told comcast to take a flying leap and canceled cable tv this morning :happyanim: price increase = goodby :P   I kept their internet, so I'm tv receptionless. I'll get a pair of rabbit ears. There is a few programs that I'll miss, but this move save me aboot $85 / month...and that's  real money.

The best performing inside-the-house antennas are the amplified thin film antennas you tack on a wall or window. They are MUCH superior to rabbit ears. They were around $35-$60 the last I looked

I used them from around 2008-20, switching to Verizon Fios when I moved into the apartment after my house fire in March 2020.

I live between Baltimore and Washington and always had at least 40 clear channels to watch.

In my case, it had reached the point where getting Internet and Phone separately had risen close to the price of the Internet + Phone + Fios bundle and I was getting ready to do it before the fire.

This 1byone I got in 2019 is the last and best one I used. It was somewhere in the $35-$50 range. It is wider than the many 13" x 12" ones on the market and the cable completely disconnects from the antenna - I was thinking about putting it on a 2nd floor wall for better reception and running the 26' cable down to the 1st floor TV room. The cable is much thicker than other brands and less bendable, but I was able to zig-zag the cable on the TV room wall to use it as part of the antenna and get better reception. It also has an adjustable filter that allegedly eliminates static from nearby cell phone towers and other electronic stuff. Almost all of these amplified antennas have a USB connector that you can either plug into a USB receptor on the back of a TV or plug into the supplied wall plug with USB socket.

image.thumb.png.b1a2d6acc2e8f959247cb3082ef5c4a5.png

Here's the previous one, bought in 2015:

It's only disadvantage is that the cable is permanently attached to the antenna, so you can't pass it through a ceiling if you want to hang the antenna on a higher floor's wall.  There are a lot of 13" x 12" x about 1/8" thick antennas like this and they're all probably about the same in performance - make sure you get an amplified one:

image.thumb.png.ad542d84493409bb7f992f2b199ef707.png

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The best performing inside-the-house antennas are the amplified thin film antennas you tack on a wall or window. They are MUCH superior to rabbit ears. They were around $35-$60 the last I looked

I used them from around 2008-20, switching to Verizon Fios when I moved into the apartment after my house fire in March 2020.

I live between Baltimore and Washington and always had at least 40 clear channels to watch.

In my case, it had reached the point where getting Internet and Phone separately had risen close to the price of the Internet + Phone + Fios bundle and I was getting ready to do it before the fire.

This 1byone I got in 2019 is the last and best one I used. It was somewhere in the $35-$50 range. It is wider than the many 13" x 12" ones on the market and the cable completely disconnects from the antenna - I was thinking about putting it on a 2nd floor wall for better reception and running the 26' cable down to the 1st floor TV room. The cable is much thicker than other brands and less bendable, but I was able to zig-zag the cable on the TV room wall to use it as part of the antenna and get better reception. It also has an adjustable filter that allegedly eliminates static from nearby cell phone towers and other electronic stuff. Almost all of these amplified antennas have a USB connector that you can either plug into a USB receptor on the back of a TV or plug into the supplied wall plug with USB socket.

image.thumb.png.b1a2d6acc2e8f959247cb3082ef5c4a5.png

Here's the previous one, bought in 2015:

It's only disadvantage is that the cable is permanently attached to the antenna, so you can't pass it through a ceiling if you want to hang the antenna on a higher floor's wall.  There are a lot of 13" x 12" x about 1/8" thick antennas like this and they're all probably about the same in performance - make sure you get an amplified one:

image.thumb.png.ad542d84493409bb7f992f2b199ef707.png

Thanks for info. I was using the term "rabbit ears' generically :D  

We dropped Direct TV about 10 years ago. Once Speed Channel started dropping motorcycle racing I had no reason to keep it. Tonight we will walk down to Caps tap and watch the Supercross race. The nice bar tender with mix my drinks and the snacks tray will always be filled. 

Living in between Milwaukee and Green Bay we get 52 channels with the antenna. 

• Heart 2

51 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The cable company here seems to be planning for this future.  They have announced a cap on data (streaming over their internet) and will begin to charge when cord cutters go over the cap.

Comcast has a cap, but I can't come anywhere close to it because I don't stream.

10 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Comcast has a cap, but I can't come anywhere close to it because I don't stream.

Even streaming you'd be hard pressed (likely totally unable) to hit the cap. 

We have an Apple TV and I am using the youtube app a LOT lately.  It is great for all sorts of shows - bike related, hobby related, etc.. I also have the PBS app, Netflix, Prime, etc.. apps on there, so it is easy to type in a TV show or movie and it will "find" it on the various apps/services you have.  Very easy to use and convenient.

Likewise, a 10' HDMI connecting your laptop to your TV makes "streaming" stuff easy peasy too.

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We have an Apple TV and I am using the youtube app a LOT lately.  It is great for all sorts of shows - bike related, hobby related, etc.. I also have the PBS app, Netflix, Prime, etc.. apps on there, so it is easy to type in a TV show or movie and it will "find" it on the various apps/services you have.  Very easy to use and convenient.

Likewise, a 10' HDMI connecting your laptop to your TV makes "streaming" stuff easy peasy too.

We use Chrome Cast with the tablet a lot. 

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

We use Chrome Cast with the tablet a lot. 

Yep - there are a lot of reasonably priced and reasonably effective ways to get around a classic TV/cable TV set-up.  All have their pros and cons - usually the pros are that they are cheap/free, and the con are they are more complicated than simply "flipping through the channels" or using the guide to find something to watch.

But clearly the content folks see that cable TV is losing ground to streaming, so they are busily launching their own streaming apps with regularity - recently Peacock and now Discovery have joined the ranks of Disney, HBO, ESPN, Motortrend, etc..  That's only going to continue.

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm allowed 1229 GB/mo...and use <100 :wacko: I wish I could sell my bandwidth

image.thumb.png.43e373ecc5c59eb65ffc81493ab1b1ec.png

• Awesome 1