Counter offer

Parsnip Totin Jack

The seller countered with 50/50 split of closing costs ($8,000) each. We are asking the lender for clarification on some numbers and will counter the counter tomorrow. The seller is offering to convey things that we don’t care about and are not worth the $8,000 (chest freezer, air compressor, wood stove, and pool table). 

2 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

How will this fit in with your plan of moving to the Blue Ridge after retaarment?  Is it sufficiently bucolic enough that you might stay there?

I might stay here. I could be persuaded to give up the mountains for peaceful living. We’ll see. The sand in the gears is retaarment. Staying here I will have to work to social security which is 4/2026 vs 6/2024. Social security, assuming it’s still available, will pay my mortgage. Pension will cover all other expenses.  

• Heart 2

24 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So they’re asking you to pay eight grand to keep some shit that they don’t want to move? Seems like a great deal to me

Edzachary. Our counter to their counter may be, take it, we won't miss it. 100/0 closing costs. They are walking from this with almost half a million.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

So they’re asking you to pay eight grand to keep some shit that they don’t want to move?

Nailed it.

It seems silly that they're asking to split closing costs worth $8,000 when they are going to clear half a million.

So, I'd counter by telling them we really don't want any of that stuff.  It has to go.  And they have to take the koi pond too.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

If you keep the wood stove make sure that they have cut enough wood for you for at least a year.  

All they're leaving behind to burn isn't cut or is rotten and won't burn. I have about 1/4 cord of red oak here that we will bring with us. I will cut and split more over the summer. Wo7 is talking about a she shed for her sewing and quilting. We will counter the counter today. Hope to hear by day's end.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

12 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Final agreement had been reached. Seller will pay $12k in closing costs and take the freezer and air compressor. The $16k in closing costs on the offer is worst case scenario. Actual costs could be less. By agreeing to $12k they may wind up paying all our costs anyway. Closing is scheduled for 2/26

I figured @Thaddeus Kosciuszko would drive a harder bargain than that.  

Did you make him take the koi pond?

• Heart 3

9 hours ago, smudge said:

Let me know when Wo7 is ready for the she shed build.

You finally gave in?

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Final agreement had been reached. Seller will pay $12k in closing costs and take the freezer and air compressor. The $16k in closing costs on the offer is worst case scenario. Actual costs could be less. By agreeing to $12k they may wind up paying all our costs anyway. Closing is scheduled for 2/26

Wicked pissa, congrats.

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I figured @Thaddeus Kosciuszko would drive a harder bargain than that.  

I admit I'm not the best negotiator when it comes to real estate transactions.

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

Now kill em on the inspection report

This is where I make up for it.  Residential electrical systems tend to be installed, shall we say, rather 'informally' because everybody wants to save money and pay their brother in law with pizzas for wiring their house.  There's nearly always something, even in a new house.

53 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Mr. Kosciuszko is getting soft with age.

There must be something to what you say.  The local urchins are complaining I don't yell at them to get off my lawn like I used to.

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1