So, I rode the tandem with #2 son yesterday.

MoseySusan

WoJSTL and I started riding our tandem 1.5 years ago. We have over 3k miles on it now.  Being much heavier, I'm in the front. To start WoJSTL puts her feet on the pedals then rotates the left crank to 9 o'clock position. I then clip in my left foot. When I say go, I push down the left pedal while WoJSTL starts pedaling. Once we get moving I clip in the other foot.

When stopping for a short time WoJSTL keeps her feet on the pedals. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

WoJSTL and I started riding our tandem 1.5 years ago. We have over 3k miles on it now.  Being much heavier, I'm in the front. To start WoJSTL puts her feet on the pedals then rotates the left crank to 9 o'clock position. I then clip in my left foot. When I say go, I push down the left pedal while WoJSTL starts pedaling. Once we get moving I clip in the other foot.

Putting WoJSTL in the back gives her a 22% advantage because she is always drafting you.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

My son is on the back because he isn’t able to captain a bicycle. When he rides with mr., he keeps his feet on the pedals when they stop, but I’m not balanced or strong enough to hold us both upright. 
I tried brushing a gnat out of my eye and almost steered us into a bush. I need to work on balance. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

8 hours ago, roadsue said:

And we both prefer to stop in the same pedal position, which is opposite of mr. when he rides the tandem. #2 and I like to stop and start on the left pedal, but mr. like to use the right pedal. 

6 hours ago, roadsue said:

I tried brushing a gnat out of my eye and almost steered us into a bush. I need to work on balance.

Sometimes WoBG moves around unexpectedly and as you noticed, that changes the balance.  I tell her to stop steering...  that's my job.  Her response is something like "I was just looking at  ____". 

6 hours ago, roadsue said:

We have been riding our tandem for years now.   

To start I have both feet on the ground (just barely) and I'm on the saddle. WoBG puts her feet on the pedals then rotates the right crank to 11 o'clock position. When I say go, I push down the right pedal while WoBG starts pedaling.  Once we get moving I clip in both feet.  I use SPD pedals in the tandem. and Look Keo on the road bike. 

When stopping for a short time WoBG keeps her feet on the pedals. 

• Heart 1