Back to this protein thing...

Randomguy

Ok, I bought some protein today, thanks to the lot of you.  This is more of a working out/recovery kind of question for those in the know, though.

The situation is that my recovery sucks ass, I don't sleep so well, and I have little time for anything atm thanks to RB.  About two months ago, I started riding my bike again, about a month ago I started swimming again to supplement, and I started lifted weight machiney things about a week and a half ago and will head to the free weights in a couple of weeks after my supporting muscles get all acclimated.  

I have been eating pretty well, but have dropped 8 lbs. in the last month (on purpose), and have added the exercise.  The wife has been sick for about a week now, RB caught the summer cold, then I got it (but not as bad as RW or RB).  Mostly I am over it, but I am cooked by small amounts of exercise (even before getting sick).  The extra protein is hopefully gonna help all this, but how best to use it?

Do you take it before exercise, so it can be assimilated and used during and immediately after for repair, or do you just wait until after for the recovery effects?  Should I take it at night so engineers can get to work while I kind of sleep?

Wth should I do to maximise all this nonsense?

The whey will help muscles recover/rebuild, but not so much the energy level.

I use a pre-workout (Assault) and then BLOX during workout. I really should knock back about 10 gm of whey before I work out 'cuz it's first thing in the morning.  Postworkout is usually breakfast, but it really should be a scoop of whey and a small scoop of Gatorade or something else to elecit an insulin response to shove the whey into the system.

Casein is what you want before bed. It forms a gel glob in your belly to act as a slow drip of protein into your system while you are sleeping and not taking in any protein.

I think the sleep thing is playing into your energy level.  You mentioned that you don't sleep as many hours as you need.  

I use nuts, beans and meat for protein.  I don't use powders, with the exception of recoverite.  I will drink that after a workout and skip a meal or have a very small meal on the go.  

I am not an expert on this.  I just know what works for me.

I don't use powders, with the exception of recoverite.  I will drink that after a workout and skip a meal or have a very small meal on the go.  

I am not an expert on this.  I just know what works for me.

I really like recoverite.  However, since none of my workouts are long (just intense, at least for me), I feel that a 4 : 1 product isn't going to help me.  If I was doing 3 hour+ rides a few days a week or in a row like I used to, then yes, hell yes.

I really like recoverite.  However, since none of my workouts are long (just intense, at least for me), I feel that a 4 : 1 product isn't going to help me.  If I was doing 3 hour+ rides a few days a week or in a row like I used to, then yes, hell yes.

this is true

you are best off having some protein before you go to bed so that you have the stuff to build you back while you are sleeping.

This is not what you do if you are trying to lose weight, though.

Intense is more important than long. You are stressing your muscles; they need to recover. Whey will help them. Casein at night.

unless you are working on your aerobic system, then its long rides and a steady pave

The whey will help muscles recover/rebuild, but not so much the energy level.

I use a pre-workout (Assault) and then BLOX during workout. I really should knock back about 10 gm of whey before I work out 'cuz it's first thing in the morning.  Postworkout is usually breakfast, but it really should be a scoop of whey and a small scoop of Gatorade or something else to elecit an insulin response to shove the whey into the system.

Casein is what you want before bed. It forms a gel glob in your belly to act as a slow drip of protein into your system while you are sleeping and not taking in any protein.

Why do I have the feeling you know exactly wth you are talking about?

If you are working out with weights to gain muscle, you NEED protein before bed. Slow release protein.

Hmm, I am mostly doing it to get fit and so I am able to rise out of a chair under my own power from time to time.  I don't want to get big or anything like that, I just want the muscle back that I lost being a sloth.  

The fittest I was was back in the day (1997- 1998 or thereabouts), I weighed 155.  In the mornings during the week, I would meet a friend at the gym (everyday but Wednesdays) and lift free weights for 30 - 45 minutes, then go swim 30-45 minutes immediately after .  In the evenings, I would ride 1 or 2 hours (couple of days of intervals and a couple recovery rides, and would go on 3 - 5 hours rides on both weekend days.  I felt like I could kick superman's ass, twice.  I don't have the time to get back to that, but would like to pretend I could.

Sorry, you're not going to get big. You have to work super hard to get big. As we get older (sorry again!), our bodies need more protein to sustain the muscle we have much less try to add some. Yes, you are trying to add some muscle. You don't have to go crazy pounding 50 grams of protein per meal plus supplements etc; but you do need a little extra, especially post workout and before bed. Especially post workout.  The casein before bed is a help to keep your body in a positive state of aminos so it doesn't start tapping into your hard-earned muscles to keep the brain moving along at night and the repair process of the day's worked muscles.  I find I even sleep better with some casein in my belly.

Don't sweat the "extra calories." Damn, I must not be much of a cyclist 'cuz I don't sweat those calories like so many others. It's GOOD stuff for your athletic body/endevors. Don't fear it!  (whey and casein pure and simple, NOT weight gainers; that's a whole different ball game)

You were fittest in 97-98?  Hmm, almost 20 years ago. Shocker.  ;)  

That is the overall fittest I was.   At 155 lbs, I could bench press 275, do bunches of curls (scads, even) with the 45 pound dumbells in each hand, and had great endurance.  I had to scale that back because I developed shoulder problems, this bummed me out.

I have been more fit on the bike, I had some years where I would average about 250 miles a week about 5 - 6 months of the year (less in the other months, depending on weather), but I wasn't as totally fit in the upper body as I was then.   I miss that, kinda.

That is the overall fittest I was.   At 155 lbs, I could bench press 275, do bunches of curls (scads, even) with the 45 pound dumbells in each hand, and had great endurance.  I had to scale that back because I developed shoulder problems, this bummed me out.

I have been more fit on the bike, I had some years where I would average about 250 miles a week about 5 - 6 months of the year (less in the other months, depending on weather), but I wasn't as totally fit in the upper body as I was then.   I miss that, kinda.

Hey! Another DCO sufferer.....I don't do bench presses anylonger....very rough on the shoulder, especially when there's bone on bone in that joint. :(

To add muscle you need to increase calories. Unless you are trying to add lots of muscle through lots of lifting you can just modify your diet and eat healthier forms of protein rich food. When I used to lift a lot it was baked potatoes, plain or with salsa, for the calories and chicken breasts and egg whites for the protein. 

Hey! Another DCO sufferer.....I don't do bench presses anylonger....very rough on the shoulder, especially when there's bone on bone in that joint. :(

Of all stupid things I "tweaked" my shoulder doing dumbell curls a few weeks ago. Still not right. Getting a little better tho.  Yes, shoulders are fragile.