So...my friends ceiling came down..

petitepedal

58 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

The HVAC emergency people will fix the pipe..our guy tried but it kept cracking..water remediation folks on their way :runcirclsmiley:I told my friend to plan to sleep at my place.

Petite, I can totally relate to that nightmare galore!  My dishwasher computer panel broke down...and water kept gushing through for over 1 hr.  Middle of night.  It flooded all units below me....5 units..

Several of us bought new dishwashers.

You are a great friend in need.  I ended staying at a hotel for 5 days and then took off to Vancouver for 2 wks. (my trip was already paid for months in advance), while they totally redid my flooring, etc.  

• Sad 1

I had that happen to my first NYC girlfriend.  We were lying in bed before going to brunch, and I was staring at the ceiling. A spot started getting darker and then began growing.  

Before long, a single drop fell on the bed, then another, and another. 

we sprang into action and moved everything out of the room in a hurry while a waterfall formed, then the ceiling just broke apart and started falling. 

Start to finish, maybe 15 minutes before total ceiling disintegration. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I had that happen to my first NYC girlfriend.  We were lying in bed before going to brunch, and I was staring at the ceiling. A spot started getting darker and then began growing.  

we sprang into action and moved everything out of the room in a hurry while a waterfall formed, then the ceiling just broke apart and started falling. 

Years ago at our old home, I notice what looked like a water drip in the celling soffit in our kitchen over a built in desk. (which was used as counter space, not a desk)  I called to WoBG and asked her if she noticed this water?   She came over and looked and explained she never noticed.  I reached up and touched the celling, to see if it was wet and/or the drywall was soft.  A gentile push... and it was like Niagara Falls.  The celling disintegrated, water was everywhere.   I had lots to clean up, a water pipe to replace, ceiling to fix, etc... 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

She is opting to stay with the fans..and 2 huge dehumidifiers..that drain in her sink..the wall is rippled 1/2 the ceiling is down..from the den they ripped up the carpet and pad and tossed it..In her bedroom there is a bubble on the ceiling adjoining the wall of the den..and the carpet is lifted with a fan blowing...I couldnt convince her to come up here.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Randomguy said:

The day of our 3rd zoom meetup I came home to a panicked wife & growing water leak in the garage.  Pinhole leak in the pipe that leads up from the laundry room into the upstairs hallway bathroom. 

I cut a hole in the ceiling before it fell through and the plumber came the next day to replace the pipe.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Late 70's I think

I was going to guess mid to late 70S.  

At least that was when our old home was built.  We were the second owners.  I hated those ceilings...    The were nearly impossible to clean.  Painting them sucked...   I hope the new owner likes them better.  

10 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Late 70's I think

I don't wish to complicate the issue, but popcorn ceilings of that era at times contained asbestos.  Asbestos was also often used in spackle on sheetrock walls because it made spreading the spackle very easy.  Any repair work on ceilings and walls would disturb the entrained asbestos, and the fans blowing would keep it in the air.

However -

Buildings such as yours are usually required to have records that indicate where asbestos is located, if any exists.  There should also be records of tests taken that show where it wasn't found.  It's also not required that every single apartment be tested; if tests for the ceilings and walls in other apartments in the building showed no asbestos, then your friend's apartment would be considered the same. Given the way it seems the work is being handled the ceilings and walls aren't of any concern and it seems reasonable for your friend to remain in her apartment.