how high are you?

bikeman564™

1 minute ago, dennis said:

Gannett Peak in the Winds is 13,810'. The Grand Teton is 13,775'. I have not ascended either, but I might convince my GF to take me up the Grand one of these days.

Having watched videos of climbing the Grand and skiing, it looks awesome!

Just now, Zackny said:

Having watched videos of climbing the Grand and skiing, it looks awesome!

Climbing I would do. Skiing looks crazy difficult. A friend of mine wants to do it. I'm sure she could. She and her husband guide on Denali. My GF guided on the Grand for about 20 years. She's summited more than 100 times.

A bit over 500 ft.  Lets see if this works.  Didn't work well.  If you click on it a file will be downloaded to your computer.  If you click on that you will be taken to the page that has the topo map.  Sorry.

Elevation of Colchester, CT, USA - Topographic Map - Altitude Map.mhtml

The topo lines appear to be 50 ft.  I live roughly in the middle of the picture.

My city is up on a bluff near the ocean so 50’.  Not sure if where I work but probably no more that 200’ as I work in the local foothills.

Highest I have been is about 10K’ in the Mammoth Lakes area.  Whenever we go up I always take it easy on day one and don’t do anything too strenuous.  I remember one time nearly passing pout on day 1 trying to get my waders on to go float tubing.  I had to rest & catch my breath!

My house is technically 154 ft. above sea level, but it's only 124 ft above Chesapeake Bay level because the Bay is about 30 ft. higher than sea level due to it being basically the salty mouth of the Susquehanna River plus the Potomac, Patapsco, and all the other tributaries and river water keeps pouring into it.  As it is, though, I live on a high enough plateau to look down on downtown Baltimore from the edge of the plateau, a few hundred feet from my house, so my house is never threatened by floods when we get huge rainfalls from hurricanes.

The highest point in Maryland is near the NW end of the state, at 3360 ft.

A girl who came from the Rockies who was one of my IIT Chemistry Lab students when I was in grad school in Chicago said, "I've flown over the East Coast. They call those little hills mountains?"

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

A girl who came from the Rockies who was one of my IIT Chemistry Lab students when I was in grad school in Chicago said, "I've flown over the East Coast. They call those little hills mountains?"

I bet now, many years later and with time & aging taking it's toll, she might appreciate the dopeyness of her comment.  Her Rockies have many (dozens? hundreds?) millennia before they will reach anything the once towering Appalachian mountains achieved - if ever. 

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I bet now, many years later and with time & aging taking it's toll, she might appreciate the dopeyness of her comment.  Her Rockies have many (dozens? hundreds?) millennia before they will reach anything the once towering Appalachian mountains achieved - if ever. 

The girl is correct in her sentiment.  The east has hills, but no mountains that would be recognizable to people that have seen mountains.  I am canceling your comment.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The girl is correct in her sentiment.  The east has hills, but no mountains that would be recognizable to people that have seen mountains.  I am canceling your comment.

The ignorance of youth!

If you didn't see Babe Ruth in his prime, is he any less of a great - maybe greatest - baseball player?

One toke over the line. Oh wait, wrong high.

The highest in Florida is in the Panhandle along the Alabama border - and the lowest in the US, Britton Hill 345 feet.

Me personally? While I don't readily know the elevation of my home, Orlando Executive Airport, 6 miles away is 112 ft. Not to be confused with Orlando International Airport (MCO) at a lowly 91 feet. 

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You can't be much wronger than that!

I stand by that statement.  Hills are often extended and steep, and more roller-coastery in nature.  One ride in CO I did at least once a week started with a 28 mile climb, which was a bitch and not as much fun as 15 climbs of varying length in the same distance.

Just now, Randomguy said:

I stand by that statement.  Hills are often extended and steep, and more roller-coastery in nature.  One ride in CO I did at least once a week started with a 28 mile climb, which was a bitch and not as much fun as 15 climbs of varying length in the same distance.

You should have gotten an ebike.

According to this web site my home is 557 feet.

https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm

My watch tells me I'm at 625 feet.  I'm on the the second floor of my home, but it's not that tall.

WoBG and I have hiked at few of the highest points in some states.   https://highpointers.org/

Hawaii    Mauna Kea
Oregon    Mount Hood
New Hampshire    Mount Washington
Maine    Katahdin 
Vermont     Mount Mansfield

We got close to this one.  It's on private land that's open to the public only a few days a year.  Not open when we were there.

Illinois    Charles Mound

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

You should have gotten an ebike.

15 climbs mean 15 descents.  That kind of thing is nice.  If the first 28 miles is one continuous climb, and the last 23 miles is one continuous descent, then you are really only getting half a ride in.  Good for continuous climbing and all, but not for explosiveness.  It would be nice to have both, but I do like half to full mile climbs better.