July bike trip

Forum Administrator

I know I have asked this before...  but now the planning is getting serious... I have a few decisions to make.

What bike trip should I do this summer?

• Ohio to Erie Trail? I've done it once and ride it around Columbus all the time.  
  • Erie Canal? I'm leaning toward this, but it seems like it would be about 8-10 days total
  • Katy Trail? I don't know much about it, but a friend says I have to do it at some point
  • West Virginia's Greenbrier Trail? It looks beautiful, but an out and back doesn't really appeal to me.
  • I'm looking for something in the UP of Michigan, but haven't found anything yet.
  • Heart 1

Katy is nice..summer is hot...but it is nice..West to East is preferred..although I did East to West..I struggled a bit...but I blame the shingles that kept me from getting training miles in prior to our early June trip.

I am contemplating riding the North Shore of Lake Superior..and maybe the Mickelson Trail in Sept

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:
  • I'm looking for something in the UP of Michigan, but haven't found anything yet.

I've biked in the UP, its beautiful up there. Eastern end including Drumnond Island. Rode w/ friends on gravel bikes. Lot of paved roads too though. Ask @smudge  For the LP, Traverse City area is great, or anything alone Lake Michigan.

1 hour ago, Forum Administrator said:

Katy Trail? I don't know much about it, but a friend says I have to do it at some point

I've done it end-to-end 9 times now. As Petite mentioned, it can be hot and humid in June and July. She's also correct that west to east is usually the best as it's slightly more downhill and more likely to have a tailwind. WoJSTL and I did it in September 2020 and the weather was almost perfect. I doubt that I'd ever see that weather again.

Here's a excellent resource for the Katy Trail. https://bikekatytrail.com/default.aspx

Unfortunately the Katy Trail Ride has been cancelled for 2021. Here's the official Katy Trail web site: https://mostateparks.com/park/katy-trail-state-park

Let me know if you chose the Katy Trail. I might be tempted to join you.

22 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I've done it end-to-end 9 times now. As Petite mentioned, it can be hot and humid in June and July. She's also correct that west to east is usually the best as it's slightly more downhill and more likely to have a tailwind. WoJSTL and I did it in September 2020 and the weather was almost perfect. I doubt that I'd ever see that weather again.

How's the camping?  I still like the primitive camping while touring.  

3 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

Erie Canal? I'm leaning toward this, but it seems like it would be about 8-10 days total

55 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I keep coming back to this one.  The only thing keeping me from commiting is the length of time.  

I did the official state sponsored ride and we did it in eight days. We partied a lot. I arrived at the next nights campsite anywhere from 11:30 in the morning (light rain made the trail fast and didn’t want to stop and smell the roses in the rain) to maybe three in the afternoon. If I was doing the ride solo I could easily cut two days from the ride. I was in my sixties when I did it. I don’t know anything about campsites because we stayed in places like schools, a zoo, a fort, and a park. They offer a trail book that tells all about the trail, available from the State on NY parks and trails. It would list campsites. I think you are allowed to camp at some of the canal locks. I saw a girl camping right on the edge of the trail, her bike was loaded. She definitely was biking the trail and not a homeless person. I would have picked a spot further off the trail. 

edit: actually I forgot the last day on the ride was a short ride into Albany. We got to the finish line maybe ten AM. Had a celebration and took photos, loaded up and I drove home to Mercer, Pa. in time for supper.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

How's the camping?  I still like the primitive camping while touring.  

There's plenty of places to camp but not on the trail itself as the park is technically closed at night. All my tours on the Katy have been supported; however, I've mostly camped on them.

17 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

I'm looking for something in the UP of Michigan, but haven't found anything yet.

I rode from Houghton to Copper Harbor.  It's a nice one day, 50 mile, ride.  It is beautiful.  There is a climb just out of Houghton that is a royal bitch.  If I remember right, it is about a 89.2% grade.  I don't think I could do it now.  I think I would start at some point after that.