Was Lincoln Dissing CAnada? Ignorant Of Recent History? Just Plain Wrong?

Razors Edge

Back in the day, Lincoln gave a speech mentioning how no foreign military - even combined with others - could come here and challenge the US.  But reading it closely, he is ignoring the threat from CAnada (and Mexico, & central and south America), yet it was just a few decades earlier when those nefarious and treacherous Canucks had stormed into the US and created mayhem!

Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge in a trial of a thousand years.

So, is Lincoln wisely omitting the folks who might strike again (preserving his accurate comments), dissing the CAnadians as no longer even worth mentioning, or simply forgetful/ignorant of the past?

I, for one, don't trust the Canadians as far as I can throw them!  Obviously, Cafe Canadians are above reproach, but it's the other ones I worry about.