Do you have any arrests?

Prophet Zacharia

Heading home on West Virginia Rt. 19, it was about 3 in the morning and I was in a hurry. 

The trooper looked about 20 years old, shined his light all around the admittedly hippieish looking van, but all he saw was tools and materials.

He took my paperwork and spent some alone time in his cruiser. Back at my window he says "I'm supposed to arrest you now" My eyes got wide. He says "Anything more than 20 over is an arrest, you were doing 82 in a 45" he paused to look close at me, "the ticket is for 62, be sure to pay it"

• Heart 4

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Never arrested but did spend a night in jail.

This. Spent a night in the Portland Maine jail after getting busted with a fair amount of weed at a Jackson Browne concert. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

Made a dumb decision when I was younger to drive home after having too many.  Made a few dumber decisions on my way home that got me in cuffs in the back of a patrol car.  Not sure how I talked myself out of that situation (I think I mentioned that I was friends with @Randomguy ) but I was released and told to find a way home that did not put me back behind the wheel.  I complied.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

33 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Nope. Still on my bucket list. Probably will be from posting something too honest on social media. 

I did get taken home at 4 in the morning  as a 14 year old when I was a passenger in a stolen car (my 14 year old friends dad’s car). Cops also found marijuana in the car. But no cuffs or charges. 

Several, no convictions. 
One, a college era roommate was busted for kiting bad checks. Cops came to get him and there was a bong on the coffee table. No one would own up to whose it was so they arrested everyone in the apartment. Dismissed on 4th amendment grounds  

Two, protesting in college during the first Gulf War.  The D.A. declined to prosecute.   

Three, also bad checks.  I had my ID stolen and someone opened a bank account in my name (and a lot more) and floated bad checks all over Atlanta. It was quickly determined I was the victim of fraud and not the perpetrator. 

• Heart 2

I've got two.

Not an arrest but I was jailed.  I was driving a rental car and got pulled over for making a right turn on red when it was posted  that I was not allowed.  I went to the glove box to get the registration but there was none.  I showed the officer all the rental paperwork and he said it all looked good but without the registration he'd have to take me in until they worked it out with the rental car agency.  They put me in their jail and we watched the Lions lose to the Falcons and we were joking.  I had nothing better to do on Sunday afternoon but it was Sunday and getting close to 4:00 and I REALLY had to be to an office on Monday in the morning.   Fortunately at about 4:15 the officer came in with the registration and they let me go.  I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

My other one is more serious.  About 25 years ago, I was coming back from D.C. to Detroit and I was getting off the Ohio Turnpike.  I realized I didn't have enough money to pay the toll.  I told the toll person  that I was $3.50 short.  "Why'd you get on the road if you couldn't pay?", she asked.  "I didn't know how much it would cost when I got on?"  She asked me to go to the building over there and to tell them what happened.  "Why'd you get on the road if you couldn't pay?", she asked.  "I didn't know how much it would cost when I got on?"  They filled out an invoice for $3.50 and made me promise to pay as soon as possible.  I never paid it.  I am on the lamb in Ohio.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Made a dumb decision when I was younger to drive home after having too many.  Made a few dumber decisions on my way home that got me in cuffs in the back of a patrol car.  Not sure how I talked myself out of that situation (I think I mentioned that I was friends with @Randomguy ) but I was released and told to find a way home that did not put me back behind the wheel.  I complied.  

I suspect this did not make you the favorite child of your father for awhile.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have a friend who’s husband is State Police. He was working undercover during the anarchy protests surrounding a G7 or G9 or some global economic summit held locally a few years ago. Well, he got arrested (which does make me question our Policing, TBH) and while being cuffed and shoved into a Police van, he’s yelling the designated under-cover code word “I’m a Pirate!” to notify the arresting officers he’s one of them. Apparently, the arresting officers hadn’t gotten THAT memo, and off to jail he went. But of course his arrest got filmed by the local news, and seen by my friend’s family, who immediately called her asking a) why her husband was being arrested and b) why he’s yelling about being a pirate!

In the heat of the moment shit happens. Question them sure but unless you have been there & done it it’s easy to sit back & pick apart every action. Middle of civil unrest, meh...

I once pulled over an undercover narc officer who was tailing someone and driving like an asshole.  When I pulled him over he got out of the car all aggressively and started yelling at me. He promptly found himself proned out in handcuffs....  As I’m kneeling on his neck (yep I did it too) he’s hissing at me I’m fucking one of you, he then gave me the code to the station’s sally port door which only one of us would know..:

I called a Sgt over to verify & sure enough he was one of us.  Shit happens...

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

In the heat of the moment shit happens. Question them sure but unless you have been there & done it it’s easy to sit back & pick apart every action. Middle of civil unrest, meh...

I once pulled over an undercover narc officer who was tailing someone and driving like an asshole.  When I pulled him over he got out of the car all aggressively and started yelling at me. He promptly found himself proned out in handcuffs....  As I’m kneeling on his neck (yep I did it too) he’s hissing at me I’m fucking one of you, he then gave me the code to the station’s sally port door which only one of us would know..:

I called a Sgt over to verify & sure enough he was one of us.  Shit happens...

And you made a friend for life :)

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And you made a friend for life :)

So fast forward a few months and we’re taking down a drug house. We are both on the take down team and as we were briefing I shook his hand & apologized. He did too and said he could have handled that way better himself.

In the heat of the moment shit happens...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

I've got two.

Not an arrest but I was jailed.  I was driving a rental car and got pulled over for making a right turn on red when it was posted  that I was not allowed.  I went to the glove box to get the registration but there was none.  I showed the officer all the rental paperwork and he said it all looked good but without the registration he'd have to take me in until they worked it out with the rental car agency.  They put me in their jail and we watched the Lions lose to the Falcons and we were joking.  I had nothing better to do on Sunday afternoon but it was Sunday and getting close to 4:00 and I REALLY had to be to an office on Monday in the morning.   Fortunately at about 4:15 the officer came in with the registration and they let me go.  I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.

My other one is more serious.  About 25 years ago, I was coming back from D.C. to Detroit and I was getting off the Ohio Turnpike.  I realized I didn't have enough money to pay the toll.  I told the toll person  that I was $3.50 short.  "Why'd you get on the road if you couldn't pay?", she asked.  "I didn't know how much it would cost when I got on?"  She asked me to go to the building over there and to tell them what happened.  "Why'd you get on the road if you couldn't pay?", she asked.  "I didn't know how much it would cost when I got on?"  They filled out an invoice for $3.50 and made me promise to pay as soon as possible.  I never paid it.  I am on the lamb in Ohio.

Image result for on the lamb gif

Well, that's just plain backwards.  The lamb is on ewe.

• Haha 4

The closest I came was when I was coaching the high school varsity softball team and demoted a wild pitcher to JV so she'd get more innings pitched and the team's excellent coach could help her gain better control.

The girl argued in-my-face over the demotion, stormed off the field, and the next thing I knew she was claiming I had grabbed her breasts and threw her down on the ground before she stormed off.

The other girls on the team said that was a lie and our principal told me he was going to call Social Services and "turn me in" because they would find the charges so ridiculous they'd refuse to investigate.  That's exactly what Social Services did.

But the parents were wealthy and had some pull in the county and the case dragged on within the school system for two months. In each meeting, I was represented by a teachers union official.

Finally, some parents of team players told me that the girl's mother was lying to people about me, saying that I looked up the girls legs when they were stretching, etc. They said they would testify that she was saying those things and that they were lies.

At the next meeting including the parents, I said to the school board representative, "This woman has been lying about me," - I recited a list. "I have a lot of people who will testify to it.  Are you going to legally go after this woman for slandering your employee or do I have to get a private lawyer and sue the school board and this woman for all it's worth?"

The principal, union, and school official all broke into big smiles: they knew I had the bitch right where I wanted her.

So did she and her husband. By the next day, the entire case had been dropped by all parties.

The wild pitcher got pregnant by the next school year, went on home teaching, and I never saw her in school again!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My favorite arrest story:

I was supporting Vice as they were busting John’s thinking they were soliciting prostitutes but the hookers were actually female cops.

So we take this really young looking fuy into custody who solicited an officer. He’s like 19 and the kid is scared shitless, crying as the arresting officer is talking to us.  So she says, look at him he’s a kid... I cant do it it’ll ruin his life.

So she walks up to him and says, you know what kid, it’s your lucky day, Unhook him. I stand the kid up & remove the handcuffs.  In between sobs the kid says, you mean im gonna get laid???  Get him the fuck outta my face before I change my mind!!!!

Oh we laughed our asses off for hours on that one.

It was a lucky day for him but not THAT lucky. :D

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Shit happens...

I know you think I’m being overly sensitive to the issue, but shouldn’t the Police need to see you commit a crime before arresting you? I mean, my friend’s State Police Homicide detective husband, undercover but just hanging out to infiltrate and monitor anarchists, wasn’t doing anything to get arrested, and the group he was in wasn’t rioting. Vastly different than your undercover  cop arrest experience who verbally assaulted you and advanced aggressively towards you. 

10 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I know you think I’m being overly sensitive to the issue, but shouldn’t the Police need to see you commit a crime before arresting you? I mean, my friend’s State Police Homicide detective husband, undercover but just hanging out to infiltrate and monitor anarchists, wasn’t doing anything to get arrested, and the group he was in wasn’t rioting. Vastly different than your undercover  cop arrest experience who verbally assaulted you and advanced aggressively towards you. 

All I’m saying is neither you nor I was there.  The story was second hand and may have had some spin to it.  Maybe that’s exactly what happened, he was just standing there & got arrested. Maybe there was a dispersal order and he kept his vantage point and didn’t leave?  We don’t really know... 

It’s OK to question the situation, I’m glad LE is facing greater scrutiny.  Just try to keep an open mind that situations may not be what is portrayed.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The story was second hand and may have had some spin to it.

Not sure where the spin would come in, neither she nor he were upset with the arrest, they found it funny. :dontknow: 

All I’m saying is neither you nor I was there.

I actually was. I wasn’t in his group, but it happened on the campus of the University I work at. I know the conditions of the protest when he was arrested. I know shops got vandalized later in the evening, but not when he was arrested. It was a peaceful protest at that time. 

I know it’s a tough job. But I just don’t think it’s too much to expect a LE office to actually SEE a person commit a crime before arresting them.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Not sure where the spin would come in, neither she nor he were upset with the arrest, they found it funny. :dontknow: 

I actually was. I wasn’t in his group, but it happened on the campus of the University I work at. I know the conditions of the protest when he was arrested. I know shops got vandalized later in the evening, but not when he was arrested. It was a peaceful protest at that time. 

I know it’s a tough job. But I just don’t think it’s too much to expect a LE office to actually SEE a person commit a crime before arresting them.

Your reasoning on your last point is actually incorrect from a legal stand point which may be the cause of your frustration and does result in some abuses of power.  Felonies don’t have to be witnessed by LE in order for them to affect an arrest.  

If someone shoots a store clerk & takes off and LE has a good description, direction of travel & such they can arrest the person if they have reasonable suspicion to believe it’s the shooter.  Now sometimes they arrest the wrong person but an arrest does not mean they have been convicted of any wrong doing.    But on the flip side of the coin and what you are saying, two cops see a murder suspect run by... Oh well we didn’t see him shoot the guy so I guess we let him run along...

Curious if the arresting officers gave any explanation once they realized who he was/what he was doing?  There generally is a professional courtesy within the ranks. 

does result in some abuses of power.

Yea, I understand police don’t need first hand observation to make an arrest IF THERE IS OTHER EVIDENCE OF A CRIME. But given the context that no crime had been previously committed, and they arrest a bunch of people who they allege committed a crime in their presence, literally in front of them, based solely on their report, I want them to not just simply guess who may have done what. Especially when NOTHING had been done.

Probably undone in court and dismissed after how many thousands of dollars in lawyer’s fees, or plead down to citations, but still an abuse of power.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yea, I understand police don’t need first hand observation to make an arrest IF THERE IS OTHER EVIDENCE OF A CRIME. But given the context that no crime had been previously committed, and they arrest a bunch of people who they allege committed a crime in their presence, literally in front of them, based solely on their report, I want them to not just simply guess who may have done what. Especially when NOTHING had been done.

Probably undone in court and dismissed after how many thousands of dollars in lawyer’s fees, or plead down to citations, but still an abuse of power.

Unless what you’re telling me that Police (routinely?) make up the scenario to fit their criminal report.

One close call, I think I've mentioned before:

One night around 1980, a bunch of us from a northern county Jaycees chapter went to a southern county Jaycees chapter's Membership recruitment night.

Driving back home on a country road with 6 other Jaycees crammed in my car, we came to an intersection and suddenly all four directions were blocked by police cars.  Cops jumped out of their cars, knelt with guns drawn behind their open car doors and a bullhorn called out, "Get out of the car with your hands up."

We were scared shitless and, not being the idiots you hear about today, we got out of the car with our hands up.

One cop yelled, "It's not them!"

Just as fast as they appeared, they disappeared in the distance without another word to us, apparently trying to track down some major criminals.

None of us thought we were wronged so we made no complaints to the police department: obviously the police were attempting to apprehend criminals and potentially risking their lives doing it.  It was an understandable case of mistaken car identification in the dark.

I was good at talking my way out of difficult situations...

One time went to beach and were driving 60 miles home. Not speeding but passed a car on the remote 2 lane highway. They pulled me over right after that. It was the Freshwater Fish and Game Commission saying the girl in the passenger seat made a funny face at them as I passed. Probably wanted to make sure she was not in distress with some guy out in the middle of nowhere. We pointed out that their rear tail lights were out, and the car essentially a silhouette shadow against the headlights. They looked at their tail lights, and sure enough.

Another time, dropped a date off at her dorm and a State Trooper followed me about 20 bikes before pulling me over as I was turning off US27 to a State Road heading to my town. Claimed he heard someone peeling out at Babson College. I thanked him for the compliment pointing out that this was an 11 y/o 6 cyl 1959 Rambler. So he turned it into a "be careful - road was well known as 'bloody 27". At the time, I worked in the local hospital so we turned the conversation into who had the worse ER horror stories.

That reminds me of another time when worked the 3-11 shift on the psych ward. This was a time when the philosophy was no locked doors - if they acted out, transferred to County. Always made rounds checking patients, where primary way out was the elevator in front of reception, However, there were two doors on each side that was a stairwell, we couldn't secure as they were fire escapes. Put some tape in the top corner and would check if seal was broken. Had a female patient a couple years younger than me I knew from high school. She decided to run. I noticed the seal broken and gave chase down 5 flights of stairs, through the front parking lot and finally caught her out by the street. As the police saw the chase, as I grabbed ahold of her, she starts yelling "RAPE"! Tried to explain that was trying to get he back up to the 5th floor - which everyone knew was the psych ward. They were skeptical, until finally hospital security shows up, and he knew me well, vouching for me.

• Heart 1

These two are classic. Newly married, first job after college as a juvenile probation officer in Daytona Beach, and twice as I was shaving around 7AM a deputy sheriff knocked on my door.  

First time: Asked if I knew a _____ McCarthy. And I replied with an upbeat positive voice "______ McCarthy....No (with a puzzled look)" Explained who I was and brought a McCarthy file home that night to work on it and thought may have been the juvi's sister. Showed him the file and on family sheet, sister had different name. He had an arrest warrant with my name on it, the middle name was Eugene where mine was Edward. Very familiar and knew to look about a third of the way down and was for Assault. 

A few days later called the mother of another kid on my caseload, introduced myself and silence on the phone. Turns out, she was living with that guy with my name.

Second time: Sheriff shows up at the door and is serving me with divorce  paper. I look across the room at my wife..."Not true...Not true":D

• Heart 1

Ummm my handle?

Mine is in Arlo Guthrie territory. Country kid   Newly married. It was winter and one of my cars was not good at cold starting so I left it parked on the side street by our 4-plex. I had no idea there was a 24 hour rule for street parking. Tickets piled up but I hadn’t looked at it for a while. 
Got a letter from the city explaining the situation. I went down and paid off the tickets. Or so I thought. That spring we bought a house and moved. I left a forwarding address with the landlord. 
I was working at the grocery store as a night stockman and sometimes a grocery carry out if needed to get hours. 
I came in to stock one night and Wally said a deputy sheriff was in the store looking for me. Wally was a joker so I laughed it off. 
Next day, I am carrying out groceries in the middle of the afternoon rush. A deputy walks in and arrests me. Failure to appear for a court date. Told him I had no idea what he was talking about. He said the letter to appear had been sent to me certified mail and gave me the date it was signed for. Told him I knew nothing of it. He asked if I lived at xxx address. I told him no. I lived at yyy since before the date the letter was sent. I told him if they had called us we could have straightened this out. He said they called and my number was disconnected. (It had never been). “Oh. We must have dialed the wrong number.” Ya think?

So anyway I got taken to the county jail. MIL had to bail me out as we were broke as the 10 commandments at the time. Found out there were 3 parking tickets unaccounted for at the time of my previous appearance. County attorney was “ embarassed “ by the list of errors, but rules are rules and they didn’t cut me any breaks. I had him make damn sure there were no other outstanding tickets. 
So yes. I was jailed for a parking infraction. 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I don’t know I wasn’t there. But do you know if a dispersal order was given? Was it an unlawful assembly?  

If so than just his being there was a crime and subject to arrest.  Yes, just standing there can be a crime in certain circumstances, like a protest. 

Unless what you’re telling me that Police (routinely?) make up the scenario to fit their criminal report.

No not saying that at all but I’m not so naive to think it doesn’t happen.  But I never saw it happen as an MP or civilian officer.  

Hey @Prophet Zacharia I’m not trying to goad you, I’d really like your take on this one:

I respond to a really bad traffic collision. I’m the first one on scene and there are people milling around. I tell them to leave and do an assessment.  Female driver with significant head & face injuries conscious but bleeding profusely. Female child in the back seat unconscious car partially caved in around her from a T bone type collision. Potential serious injuries but I can’t really assess as the car is caved around her.

Nobody disperses but a male Hispanic is 20’ from the scene saying damn, that kid is fucked up. That kid ain’t gonna make it. 

I tell the dude to leave and he says why, I can stand here, it’s not a crime to stand here.. I call in paramedics and am tending to the mother who is frantic about her child. “Damn, that kid is seriously fucked!!!”  A second officer arrives and I yell, hey hook that guy! So he does and puts him in his cruiser. I was just standing here, I didn’t do anything, I was just standing here!!!!

I booked him for PC code 148 interfering with the duties of an officer. But really he was “just standing there”.

Good arrest or bad? BTW the girl lived. 

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Hey @Prophet Zacharia I’m not trying to goad you, I’d really like your take on this one:

I respond to a really bad traffic collision. I’m the first one on scene and there are people milling around. I tell them to leave and do an assessment.  Female driver with significant head & face injuries conscious but bleeding profusely. Female child in the back seat unconscious car partially caved in around her from a T bone type collision. Potential serious injuries but I can’t really assess as the car is caved around her.

Nobody disperses but a male Hispanic is 20’ from the scene saying damn, that kid is fucked up. That kid ain’t gonna make it. 

I tell the dude to leave and he says why, I can stand here, it’s not a crime to stand here.. I call in paramedics and am tending to the mother who is frantic about her child. “Damn, that kid is seriously fucked!!!”  A second officer arrives and I yell, hey hook that guy! So he does and puts him in his cruiser. I was just standing here, I didn’t do anything, I was just standing here!!!!

I booked him for PC code 148 interfering with the duties of an officer. But really he was “just standing there”.

Just standing there is not leaving when asked by an officer.  Good arrest even if you have to let him go later.

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah I don’t know I wasn’t there. But do you know if a dispersal order was given? Was it an unlawful assembly?  

If so than just his being there was a crime and subject to arrest.  Yes, just standing there can be a crime in certain circumstances, like a protest. 

It’s an urban college campus. I don’t know if permits were attained for protest, but large, free assembly is common.

46A3CFB8-F8A2-478B-AFF9-DD7794260165.png

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I think you managed the scene to ensure the paramedics could safely render aide. Which to me differs from a political rally. But I would agree with arrests if the protestors were blocking ambulance entry to an emergency scene, or another police function other than just monitoring the protest.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, groupw said:

Ummm my handle?

Mine is in Arlo Guthrie territory. Country kid   Newly married. It was winter and one of my cars was not good at cold starting so I left it parked on the side street by our 4-plex. I had no idea there was a 24 hour rule for street parking. Tickets piled up but I hadn’t looked at it for a while. 
Got a letter from the city explaining the situation. I went down and paid off the tickets. Or so I thought. That spring we bought a house and moved. I left a forwarding address with the landlord. 
I was working at the grocery store as a night stockman and sometimes a grocery carry out if needed to get hours. 
I came in to stock one night and Wally said a deputy sheriff was in the store looking for me. Wally was a joker so I laughed it off. 
Next day, I am carrying out groceries in the middle of the afternoon rush. A deputy walks in and arrests me. Failure to appear for a court date. Told him I had no idea what he was talking about. He said the letter to appear had been sent to me certified mail and gave me the date it was signed for. Told him I knew nothing of it. He asked if I lived at xxx address. I told him no. I lived at yyy since before the date the letter was sent. I told him if they had called us we could have straightened this out. He said they called and my number was disconnected. (It had never been). “Oh. We must have dialed the wrong number.” Ya think?

So anyway I got taken to the county jail. MIL had to bail me out as we were broke as the 10 commandments at the time. Found out there were 3 parking tickets unaccounted for at the time of my previous appearance. County attorney was “ embarassed “ by the list of errors, but rules are rules and they didn’t cut me any breaks. I had him make damn sure there were no other outstanding tickets. 
So yes. I was jailed for a parking infraction. 

I always wondered about your name. What a story!  You poor bastard. :(

• Heart 1