Just out of curiosity, how many of you have tank or oil pan heaters on your vehicles ?

sheep_herder

The only time I used a heater was when I drove to Alaska. Had the dealership add a high temperature thermostat and add a antifreeze heater pump into the cooling system.  It worked really good except for the time we used a bad extension cord. I didn’t know if we were ever going to get it started. It was nice because as soon as you start the vehicle you had heat. Still wasn’t enough heat to keep the frost off the inside of the windshield. I kept an ice scraper between the seats and every ten minutes or so I scraped the frost.

Ah, no...

But, I did suffer through Consumer Reports car reviews in the 60' and 70's always labeling an air conditioner a fuel wasting luxury item they did not recommend. They obviously didn't live in Florida or have the standard vinyl seats in their cars.

Haven't had a car that failed to cold start since the '70s. The one and only car with a block heater I had in the '80s, the one night I tried to use it, we had an overnight power outage.  Luckily it started because it got so cold we couldn't stay in the house.

I think vehicles, batteries and oil viscosity have improved over the years. This weekend it got down to 30 below UP north and the CX started right up. It didn't even whine or complain, much. 

5 hours ago, Further said:

I used to put a small space heater in the cab of my truck and run the cord into the house. I would plug it in when I got up and 1/2 hour or so later when I left for work the cab would be warm.

Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Yep, the local electrical provider sold  a heater for this for tis purpose several years ago.

• Heart 1