Serial sugar percentages

Ralphie

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

Fake Honey Nut Clusters are very high at 15%!  And fake Cheerios are very low at 0%.  Quite a variation. 

Actually, that 15% is LOW for cereals. I've walked down cereal aisles in big supermarkets looking at 50 different boxes for lower sugar levels and there are very few that are less than 25%!  Even a lot of the "Muesli" and other high-priced, allegedly healthy cereals are loaded with sugars.

Real Cheerios and Kelloggs Corn Flakes are less than 5% and, my favorite, Harris Teeter Supermarket's store brand Honey Oat Cluster Crunch with Almonds, is 13.6%.

The Nutrition Labels do NOT list % sugar in the cereal directly.  You have to divide the Total Sugars grams by the Serving Size grams. For example, the Honey Oat cereal below is 6/44 = 0.136 or 13.6%.  Of course, in the store without a calculator you could go by knowing that for a 44 g serving, 4.4 g is 10% and 8.8 g is 20%. 6 g is closer to 4.4 than 8.8 so it's less than 15%. Most cereals list a ridiculous 28 g as the serving size (who eats only 1 oz., about 1/2 cup, of cereal for breakfast, a pet guinea pig?) and in that case 10, 20, and 30% would be 2.8, 5.6, 8.4 g.  The vast majority of cereals are 7g or higher!

1999684238_Harris-TeeterHoneyOatClusterCrunchCerealwithAlmonds.jpg.cc9fec630863731c87a620648003b7a5.jpg 973685004_HarrisTeeterHoneyOatCerealNutrition-shortversion_900p.thumb.jpg.96152f270c2e41d751a114ef3dcdbff1.jpg

• Heart 1

Who really eats the actual serving size? 

I very rarely eat any type of breakfast cereals because of the amount of sugar and carbohydrates in single serving. There are times when we are on the road or we are at the race track and in a hurry I'll grab a cup of cereal. Yes a cup, I use a cup that's a actual serving size. 

18 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I very rarely eat any type of breakfast cereals because of the amount of sugar and carbohydrates in single serving. There are times when we are on the road or we are at the race track and in a hurry I'll grab a cup of cereal. Yes a cup, I use a cup that's a actual serving size.

+1

The good thing about sugary cereal is that it is so easy to remove from ones diet.  There is absolutely no reason for buying and eating cereal if it doesn't make sense to you (and really, it doesn't for almost anyone), and it's pretty much up there with ice cream in that category.  Skip the cereal aisle in a grocery store.

I LOVE sugary cereal, but only even buy it once a year nowadays after a childhood living on it every morning (and as snacks)! 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

There is absolutely no reason for buying and eating cereal if it doesn't make sense to you (and really, it doesn't for almost anyone),

I’m old, I eat Fiber One for breakfast with plain nonfat yogurt, organic fat free milk and frozen berries every morning. Fiber One has 0 grams of sugar.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I’m old, I eat Fiber One for breakfast with plain nonfat yogurt, organic fat free milk and frozen berries every morning. Fiber One has 0 grams of sugar.

I don't know if we can call "Fiber One" cereal!!!! :frantics:  Wasn't that an SNL bit? :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BR46 said:

I'm the opposite in that I eat cereal 90% of the time at home and things like eggs and sausage while on the road. Like @Longjohn, I go for healthy, higher fiber cereals. Kashi is my go to brand lately. However about once a year I'll share some Captain Crunch with my grandsons.

• Awesome 1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, two more data points.  Fake Rice Krispies at 7%, ALL added, and Fake Raisin Bran at a whopping 13%, half of it added.  WTF! 

Bran Flakes are 11%, all added, but there I can see the rationale, that they would totally taste like cardboard without any added sugar.

So Fake Raisin Bran goes into the mix at a low percentage, followed by bran flakes and Rice Krispies.  Fake Cheerios are by far the best base layer at 0% and with some taste and body.  Corn flakes are also 0% but basically tasteless and no body.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:51 AM, Reverend_Maynard said:

This is the cereal that really made me start looking at sugar and cutting way back...  Looks really good for you...  More sugar than frosted flakes!

https://www.cheerios.com/products/cheerios-oat-crunch-oats-n-honey/

Almost all the cheerio + other (sweet) stuff varieties are very high in sugar, whereas the original is less than 5%.  Strawberries and blueberries have the right kinds of sugars for diabetics, especially when used with cereals, and I'll often add them to something like Cheerios.

That's why I did the post about storing strawberries perfectly for a month in the fridge in a vacuum bag - I don't eat eat them in huge quantities due to diabetes so 16 oz. of strawberries lasts up to 4 weeks for the days I have cereal. The three strawberries pictured are 23 days in the bag - the leaves are drying up but the berries are perfectly firm and sweet.

2004309673_C.7daysinvacuumbagpump20200624.jpg.4c992fe0961c7f8fdfe750ed8975f1d6.jpg 20200731_125808.thumb.jpg.4c84b320c5a6fc6709f3f52b4943705e.jpg