How many of us went to Amish school?

Digital_photog

I never went...just alot classmates were ethnic Germans. You could tell by last names..and Oktoberfest. Some girls wore their dirndls for a few days in class.  I'm not kidding. (I never wore anything Chinese for Chinese New Year.).   Probably some came from a line of Mennonites.

There are Amish groups living in my childhood county.

I did go to school graduation baseball game ...for Mennonite girls. A friend's sister was playing...she was really enthused. They wore their knee length dresses, had white net covering over hair buns, dark panty hose and running shoes. Some were using baseball mitt.  there were a bunch of straw hatted Mennonite boys about under 9 yrs. old.  They stared at me in a friendly way while watching game.  It was over 85 degrees F in June.

• Heart 1

We've got lots of Amish along the Susquehanna River and around Lancaster, Pennsylvania, an hour or so's drive north of Baltimore. They run an Amish Market in Annapolis Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  They have towns called Intercourse, Bird-in-hand, Blue Ball, Fertility, Lititz, Mount Joy, and the unforgettable Noodle Doosie.

They seem backward, but I think it would be a happier world if everyone had their philosophy. Of course, the average lifespan would be something like 40.

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

We've got lots of Amish along the Susquehanna River and around Lancaster, Pennsylvania, an hour or so's drive north of Baltimore. They run an Amish Market in Annapolis Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  They have towns called Intercourse, Bird-in-hand, Blue Ball, Fertility, Lititz, Mount Joy, and the unforgettable Noodle Doosie.

They seem backward, but I think it would be a happier world if everyone had their philosophy. Of course, the average lifespan would be something like 40.

Our Amish live longer than that but they keep working. They do slow down a bit. When they have a frolic I see a lot of men appear to be my age and older. They do some supervising and ground work. Amish are not stupid, they know old bones break easy and take longer to heal. I have never asked any of them their age but they do talk about their great grandchildren.

No Amish in the immediate vicinity where I grew up, but lots of old order Mennonites. Indeed, I am only one generation removed from that group myself. My first six years of grade school were in a two room school where everyone, Mennonites included were schooled.

The baby boom outgrew that school, and when they built a new one, the Mennonites built their own schools.

Here is my grade 2 picture. Grades one to four in one class. Easy enough to pick out the Mennonites by their dress.

Mrs Zeigler's class 1961.jpeg

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

No Amish in the immediate vicinity where I grew up, but lots of old order Mennonites. Indeed, I am only one generation removed from that group myself. My first six years of grade school were in a two room school where everyone, Mennonites included were schooled.

The baby boom outgrew that school, and when they built a new one, the Mennonites built their own schools.

Here is my grade 2 picture. Grades one to four in one class. Easy enough to pick out the Mennonites by their dress.

It's easy to figure out the Mennonite girls from non-Mennonite.  How could one figure out the Mennonite boys in this photo?

19 hours ago, MickinMD said:

They have grown in my heart.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

This the (new order, if that's a term) Mennonite church still standing across from my childhood house.

W-K United Mennonite Church, 15 George Street (Historic Waterloo)

• Heart 1