Shipping container, Yuck

Dirtyhip

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Still talking about that ugly shiping container. Yuck

I emailed the builder for a quote to build this shed/barn looking thing.

Yeah... I mentioned in another thread when we built our home we were bleeding money for 13 months.   WoBG's and my decisions were;  "Lets do this right once."    We spend way more than our original plan...  but we are now done.

I'd suggest you build the shed/barn and find a way to pay.    It would be so much nicer than a shipping container. 

Jsharr's 2 container barn was an idea.  But... with a roof that big, the lumbar for the roof may cost more than the shed.  

Good luck...  

• Heart 1

I'd like to have a shipping container for the secret lab.  A very short covered walkway to the house would be ok.  That way the paint shop would not be any part of the main house.  Of course in this part of the country that would involve insulation and heat/cooling of it's own.  Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.................and probably his neighbors.  Not going to happen at this point in life however.

Yuk is right...

I spent plenty of time in shipping containers as our softball & baseball teams used them for equipment storage.  Not only are they not insulated, they are like ovens in the summer. We once stored leftover canned sodas after a tournament for snack bar sale. They got so hot in the container the cans exploded. Even with the doors open they are uncomfortably hot.

25 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I think that might get shipped to you in a container(s), but that definitely ain't no container barn!  Damn, that's a nice barn.

After all these dizzying big storage units, my plans feel tiny.

I'm going to build a small shed, 9' x 10', either later in the Summer or early Fall if I get settled in my house fast enough, or next Spring - my BiL is now retired and I'll have some skilled help in erecting it.  It shouldn't be a problem, but if we have trouble shingling the roof, my 20 year-old nephew Ryan works four 10-hour days/week, so I'll get his help.

One year, in the 1980's I think, a neighbor had a cement driveway poured and there was leftover cement in the mixer truck.

So the neighbor and my father laid out an 11' x 12' grid in the corner of my father's yard and poured a 4" or so thick slab there.  The slab is still there, perfectly intact.  With that now being my being-rebuilt home, I'm going to build a shed there, leaving a 2' space along the two fences and build a 9' x 10' shed there.  I'm going to adjust the measurements for this 8' x 8' shed and use a screwed-into-the-cement, rectangle of pressure-treated 4"x4" lumber instead of pressure-treated skids to build it on. It has complete step-by-step instructions and a materials list which I cut and pasted to a Word file but is still listed here: http://mystorageshed.blogspot.com/2007/05/blog-post.html

image.thumb.png.d3824224067578e0a9eae32e780ad52a.png

• Sad 1