So whatcha think aboot this way to get rid of passwords?

Ralphie

I asked this mostly for the Windows work world.  I wind up entering my passwords way too many times a day due to 15 minute screensavers.  I like the fingerprint reader on the eyephone but with only a six digit passcode, it is less onerous than a 12 digit password.  I got the ideer that it might be nice to replace that with a fingerprint reader, but then I thought back to Tom Hanks on Black Jeopardy, that that goes straight to the government. :D :(

Why does the linked article keep referring to the iPhone 5S? Is this a really old article? My older iPhones had the fingerprint reader and my iPad does but my 11 pro max does not. It uses facial recognition. If I go to use my phone in a doctor’s waiting room or some other place I have to use passwords because it doesn’t know who I am with a mask on.

I really like that facial recognition, I wonder if identical twins could fool it?

whatever site I go to that requires a log in before I can type my information in I’m in.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Why does the linked article keep referring to the iPhone 5S? Is this a really old article?

It's sright in the URL, 2014. :D A good article should last 7 years. :D

I blame Uncle Google.  You would think advanced age would push something down in the results list.  So I guess it is snot the latest word on the subject. :D

• Awesome 1

50 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Right. Then they invented cellphones to ruin it faster.

Well, and to give you a side gig finding and redistributing found phones!

BTW, by "they", I assume you mean the Brotherhood of Zion, but you might mean some other nefarious world dominating group.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, and to give you a side gig finding and redistributing found phones!

BTW, by "they", I assume you mean the Brotherhood of Zion, but you might mean some other nefarious world dominating group.

Somebody's go to do something!  Like, This aggression will not stand, man.

15 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Somebody's go to do something!  Like, This aggression will not stand, man.

Do you report your "found" income on your IRS tax filings?  Or is that how "they" are gonna get you when you start pushing back too hard on their schemes for world dominance?

The new laptop I got in December is the first electronic device I've owned that reads fingerprints - I can turn on and launch Windows without a password with my LG Gram 17.

But I don't trust it so I didn't bother to set it up - my typed password is just fine.

Also, if you use a fingerprint tool to bypass having to type in passwords, you may forget to change them periodically or how weak they are.

For example, for sites that have no record of my finances like ABC News, NFL.com fantasy football, etc. I use a simple 8-digit password based on letters and numbers in my everyday life.

For financial stuff, I take obscure chemistry or teaching terms or famous phrases I'll never forget, substitute a couple numbers and special characters for letters and take certain letters from the site name and have a set of 16-character or longer passwords that vary from site to site and are not easy to crack but easy for me to remember.

For example, "dawn's early light" might become "Dawn'$Ear1y11ght" - but I'd pick something more obscure to almost everyone but something I worked with like "pseudo 1st order reaction."

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The new laptop I got in December is the first electronic device I've owned that reads fingerprints - I can turn on and launch Windows without a password with my LG Gram 17.

My two personal and my work laptop all have the fingerprint reader.  I've never bothered to use it :(  For the laptop and the stuff stored on it, I sort of feel like full drive encryption or even just encrypting your financial folder(s) would be the way to go.  For the web, and stuff stored out there, I usually use the two-factor auth for anything financial related (or if they even offer it on non-financial sites).  Really the only thing I care about keeping secure is the $$$ stuff.  I generally feel like most readers can be spoofed somehow still, so the facial recognition or the thumbprint don't feel super secure still (to me), but I assume there are also poor, good, and great implementations for each, and if I knew the great ones, I might be more inclined to adopt them for my daily use.

Cell phones and fingerprints are not secure methods of authentication.  There are actually quite a few ways to intercept cellular communications, and you would probably be surprised how many agencies have your fingerprints.  In the case of U.S. government workers, Chinese intelligence has your fingerprints thanks to a security breach.

3 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Cell phones and fingerprints are not secure methods of authentication.  There are actually quite a few ways to intercept cellular communications, and you would probably be surprised how many agencies have your fingerprints.  In the case of U.S. government workers, Chinese intelligence has your fingerprints thanks to a security breach.

Not if you change your fingerprints every thirty days like you are supposed to. 🤪

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1