How due ewe feel about yore penmanship?

Mr. Silly

Mine was good as a kid, not so much now unless I try to make it neat.  In school when I took drafting, lettering was important, no templates. That's a art IMO. After I got into industry it was CAD. But we have hundreds of drawings that go back to the 1940s, from the big 3, and Detroit Diesel that were hand drawn. I'm very impressed w/ the lettering skills of those draftsman :)

• Heart 2

I’m a natural lefty. On my first day of second grade my teacher, Mrs. Carter, informed me i was not to write with my left hand. Til this day my writing sucks, eirher hand.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Mine was good as a kid, not so much now unless I try to make it neat.  In school when I took drafting, lettering was important, no templates. That's a art IMO. After I got into industry it was CAD. But we have hundreds of drawings that go back to the 1940s, from the big 3, and Detroit Diesel that were hand drawn. I'm very impressed w/ the lettering skills of those draftsman :)

I see old drawing fairly often too.  Their lettering is enviable.  The lettering was something I never did well in high school drafting class so I went a different route when I was in college and avoided it.  I also sucked at the French curve thing.  I was pretty good at CAD if I stuck to straight lines without annotations.  I guess I could have been a packaging engineer and design boxes.  I think I could probably do a projection drawing of a cube by hand today if I needed to.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I see old drawing fairly often too.  Their lettering is enviable.  The lettering was something I never did well in high school drafting class so I went a different route when I was in college and avoided it.  I also sucked at the French curve thing.  I was pretty good at CAD if I stuck to straight lines without annotations.  I guess I could have been a packaging engineer and design boxes.  I think I could probably do a projection drawing of a cube by hand today if I needed to.

CAD helped for sure. In school, mostly HS, I'd get  "line quality" sometimes marked on the drawing. Lettering too.  I know two people that are packaging engineers from Michigan State, they have the cirriculum. French curves are cool, I have some templates, but only used them a few times designing a cam.

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I know two people that are packaging engineers from Michigan State, they have the cirriculum. French curves are cool, 

The woman who sat next to me before WFH son went to State to study to be a packaging engineer.  She said that is the engineering degree to get if you want an engineer's salary but you're not too bright.

• Haha 2

I think we used to have a "penmanship" grade on our elementary school report cards.  I can't say that grade was ever an "O" for outstanding.  I was generally okay with regular and cursive, but when really writing fast, quality went downhill drastically.

Now, as an adult, it really sucks and is pretty much just my own shorthand that others definitely are challenged to read.  On the plus side, folks will often ask me to help decipher someone else's poor handwriting.  Apparently, my awful writing lets me see what other awful writers are writing. I guess I should have been a pharmacist.

We had a new safety kid that got hired just when some disgruntled @sshole was calling OSHA and stirring up crap every day. It was all bullshite crap that he was making up just to be an @sshole. Naturally OSHA got involved and the new safety kid was freaking out. To calm down OSHA the safety kid scheduled a time and a half Saturday for all employees to take lock out tag out training on every piece of equipment in the shop. Now we had certain things (like changing dies in the press) that there was no way you could do it with the press locked out. The kid made up a fake procedure that we were supposed to follow for each piece of equipment. After we were trained on that piece of equipment we had to sign off on it. I think I had to sign off on over a hundred things that day. My handwriting sucked on the first one and by the end of the day I couldn’t even make out any letters in my signature. The one sheet I went to sign the name above mine looked exactly like my scribble. I almost went with that but figured if the safety kid counted the signatures and came up one short he would have a stroke. I scribbled right below the other guy and it did look exactly the same.

• Awesome 1

It depends.  My Mom was a grade school teacher, and till the day she died her writing was perfect Palmer method letter formation in everything she wrote.  My handwriting was never that consistent, but it's generally pretty legible unless I'm in a hurry or writing a lot (like taking notes at a meeting or in class). 

15 minutes ago, Kirby said:

It depends.  My Mom was a grade school teacher, and till the day she died her writing was perfect Palmer method letter formation in everything she wrote.  My handwriting was never that consistent, but it's generally pretty legible unless I'm in a hurry or writing a lot (like taking notes at a meeting or in class). 

My school taught the Peterson method. Peterson signed the booklet and nobody could read his signature so I didn’t worry about my handwriting.